PDA

View Full Version : When to fold 'em.

LinusKS
04-14-2005, 09:57 PM
Help me with this please.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (13.33 SB) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, UTG+2 checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls.

Turn: (8.66 BB) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP3 checks, Hero checks.

River: (8.66 BB) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, Hero ???

Who doesn't like the flop raise? I figured it to be increasing my equity, even assuming he has the better hand.

Looking back, though, I'm not sure I applied that concept properly.

Thoughts?

Who calls this river? And why?

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (5 SB) 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

Turn: (3.50 BB) 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (5.50 BB) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero ???

What are the chances he hasn't made the hand he says he has?

Who folds this river?

Thanks.

PokerProdigy
04-14-2005, 10:07 PM
Hand 1: Since the pot is so big on the flop a raise is NOT a bad play, I like the turn check, and I'd say call the river because I think he'll be bluffing enough times to make this a profitable call (on the other hand I can understand why someone might disagree with this, but I think it's still a play with EV especially because your turn check may be inducing a bluff).

Hand 2: Play the turn aggressively by DEFINITELY RAISING, because I think there's a GOOD chance he does NOT have the hand he's representing, and if he does you still have 10 outs which is your worse case scenario. If he re-raises the turn I say cap it and see what happens (what falls plus what he does) on the river.

Pokey
04-14-2005, 10:12 PM
First hand:

Flop raise is standard. You've got 6 players and a perfect chance to knock 'em out, since the first bet comes from the player on your right. You faced the whole field with two bets and they all folded it -- you had the exact right idea, you implemented it exactly right, and that's exactly the result you wanted. Bravo.

I call this river. Nobody liked the hand much, so he might be betting just to see if he can pick it up. Your hand holds up more than enough to make the 9.66:1 odds worthwhile, and far less than enough to make a raise +EV.

Second hand: since you want to fold this river, I assume you were calling the turn feeling that you needed to improve. You needed 3.6:1 odds to make the call worthwile and you were offered 4.5:1. That's +EV. The river didn't help, so you fold to SB's straight or flush. Seems like a very disciplined, and very correct play.

Pokey
04-14-2005, 10:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hand 2: Play the turn aggressively by DEFINITELY RAISING, because I think there's a GOOD chance he does NOT have the hand he's representing, and if he does you still have 10 outs which is your worse case scenario.

[/ QUOTE ]

The main reason I disagree with you here is that this pot isn't worth going to war over. You're dealing with a paltry 4.5 BBs; why spew when you've got a 3-flush, 4-straight on the board?

Catch of the Day
04-14-2005, 10:21 PM
What everyone said on hand one. Nice flop raise, nive turn check, and nice river call.

Hand 2: Raise the turn, and call if he three bets, then call the river. No way I am giving him credit with top set. That was such a scare card him betting means very little. He could put you on overs and be betting any pair.

Catch-

TheDelChop
04-14-2005, 10:46 PM
You are correct to call the turn, because you do have 10 outs but you can't raise since you really don't want to be three bet and I agree that this is a very disciplined fold on the end. GH. TL.

Moozh
04-14-2005, 11:45 PM
For hand 1: I only like the turn check if you're going to call the river unimproved. If you're thinking of folding the river, you probably should just bet on the turn and see what happens. If he check-raises the turn, you probably have odds to go for your pair.

For hand 2: I think you played it fine and vote for folding the river. But then I'm weak.

ceskylev
04-15-2005, 12:18 AM
Hand 1: What do people think of betting the turn with a plan to check behind UI? It costs the same and you might get him to lay down. I don't think the villain check raises the turn with anything I can catch up to, so I'd be comfortable folding if he does.

Hand 2: This is the kind of hand I *think* you're supposed to fold, but that I have trouble getting away from. I'll let the experts help you out here.