PDA

View Full Version : How scared are *you* of lighters?

touchfaith
04-14-2005, 09:35 PM
Starting today, you can no longer bring a lighter onto an airplane.

How much does this set your mind at ease that you will arrive at your destination safely?

My guess is that the TSA will soon find Gold Earings, Diamonds & $100 bills dangerous as well and start collecting them at the gate.

KungFuSandwich
04-14-2005, 09:37 PM
Was your lighter nice, or did they just take your bic?

touchfaith
04-14-2005, 09:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Was your lighter nice, or did they just take your bic?

[/ QUOTE ]

Just watching the news....But they did try to take a gold plated lighter from a japaneese guy. He passed.

Convieniently enough, they have kiosks setup right there and you can mail your lighter home to yourself for a mear $8 per item.

Public bailout?

Thythe
04-14-2005, 11:31 PM
Can you check lighters or is there pretty much no lighter travel anymore?

mason55
04-14-2005, 11:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Can you check lighters or is there pretty much no lighter travel anymore?

[/ QUOTE ]

You haven't been allowed to check lighters for years.

Technically only butane lighters are illegal but the TSA just disallowed them all to make it easy.

IndieMatty
04-14-2005, 11:35 PM
I personally can't wait to sneak my watch/lighter onto the plane, then send an expose to 60 minutes.

mason55
04-14-2005, 11:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I personally can't wait to sneak my watch/lighter onto the plane, then send an expose to 60 minutes.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I flew home from spring break at 8am I was still up and drinking from the night before. Apparently some dude I met in the airport lobby gave me a single hit of acid to smuggle through security. I guess I drunkenly told him I'd do it or something. I don't remember it but when I was told about it later I felt very proud.

astroglide
04-14-2005, 11:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How much does this set your mind at ease that you will arrive at your destination safely?

[/ QUOTE ]

it doesn't, but it amuses me

whiskeytown
04-15-2005, 12:46 AM
it's probably an overreaction to that numbnut that tried to blow up his shoe -

remember that guy shortly after 9/11? - He was trying to light a magneisum strip fuse (it burns real hot and can set off stuff like thermite, for example) - but you really need a fuel flame to do it, not just a candle/match.

The Tobacco lobby has been big on letting people carry matches on board flights so they can get their addicts the next hit when they land, but I guess the FAA drew the line at lighters....ah well

RB

mason55
04-15-2005, 12:53 AM
Richard Reid and yes, that's the exact reason.

maryfield48
04-15-2005, 12:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But he had matches. And matches aren't banned. Go figure.

BadBoyBenny
04-15-2005, 01:02 AM
How long ago was that? Why did it take so long to do this?

ChrisCo
04-15-2005, 01:12 AM
Ha, I just snuck my zippo that I got in Hawaii onto a plane during spring break. Had it in my carryon. Didn't even know I was not supposed to have it.

The Goober
[ QUOTE ]
Apparently some dude I met in the airport lobby gave me a single hit of acid to smuggle through security.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't think of any contraban that would be easier to sneak than a single hit of acid. Was this dude just stupid or really [censored] up?

mason55
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But he had matches. And matches aren't banned. Go figure.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
How long ago was that? Why did it take so long to do this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Horray for the legislative process.

mason55
04-15-2005, 01:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Apparently some dude I met in the airport lobby gave me a single hit of acid to smuggle through security.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't think of any contraban that would be easier to sneak than a single hit of acid. Was this dude just stupid or really [censored] up?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would tell you if I could remember

lighterjobs
04-15-2005, 01:35 AM
I flew to lax last month out of okc and the lady in front of me had a torch type lighter that she wasn't allowed to bring on.

brassnuts
04-15-2005, 08:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Convieniently enough, they have kiosks setup right there and you can mail your lighter home to yourself for a mear $8 per item.

[/ QUOTE ]

I forgot about a knife I had in my carry on bag, and was able to mail to myself for only $3.65 at a little self service post office at Las Vegas McCarran International.

purnell
04-15-2005, 08:56 PM
"Public bailout? "

Hell no. An airline is a bad business. Your costs are simply too high, and your price is too inflexible. Every business cycle you end up with the same mess to mop up.

PassiveCaller
04-15-2005, 09:08 PM
Ridiculous. To be honest I don't feel all that much safer and think a lot of these huge security procedures just waste more of my time then make me feel safer in any sort of way.

Way to go with the stupid policies. It's like the automatic check on one way flights. This has probably irked me who frequently will fly to Southern California and drive back or visa versa with Northern California.

Does anyone really think they wouldn't buy a 2 way ticket if it was necessary to avoid an automatic check? That certainly seems like a +EV move! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

All for increased safety but come on let's think and not just inconvience.

Sponger15SB
04-15-2005, 09:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Starting today, you can no longer bring a lighter onto an airplane.

My guess is that the TSA will soon find Gold Earings, Diamonds & $100 bills dangerous as well and start collecting them at the gate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you already forgotten about 9/11?

I guess people like you don't care about their security.