PDA

View Full Version : A Small Stakes Complement Forum / Project

uw_madtown
04-14-2005, 09:14 PM
Last night there was some discussion about possible ways to more efficiently analyze hands, especially those that require less analysis than others (aka "Is this standard?" posts). A few ideas included some way to securely share IM contact information among SS regulars without exposing that same information to spammers / trollers / non-contributing lurkers (Einbert's Original Post (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=2150375&page=0&view=colla psed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1)).

I suggested the creation of another forum. The purpose of which would not be to provide an alternative or competitor to 2+2's SS forum, but rather as a complement to it, as more serious discussion and noteworthy hands should still be posted here.

However, for those who opted to join the new forum, they could feel less guilty about posting a few extra hands, and also would have access to the AIM/MSN contact information of fellow SS'ers that are interested in sharing hands via those means. This contact information, and the boards at large, would be only viewable by those who are registered. All users would require their registration to be approved by the administrator -- the only requirement for approval is a minimal amount of 2+2 participation and longevity (50 posts, at least 1 month since registration), to again prevent trollers/spammers/rank beginners from joining.

No one will be turned away based on popularity, skill, poker results, or age -- the only requirement is that you've shown a degree of participation and interest in posting here at 2+2, and want to continue doing so in a more efficient manner.

I'm still interested in feedback on this project, but given that I had some free time today, I went ahead and set up such a forum. It still could use some pretty-fying, but it has the security preventing anonymous people from seeing profile information, and it has an upgrades User Control Panel that should make sharing info easy.

Private SS Forum (http://www.wtemby.com/ssforum/)

Anyone interested in joining should:

A) Go register.
B) Reply to this thread or PM me here on 2+2 letting me know under what name you registered, so I can approve your registration.

Hopefully this will take root -- I really think it could be a useful tool that would improve the signal to noise ratio in 2+2's Small Stakes forums. Any comments, suggestions, discouragement, or other feedback welcome.

CallMeIshmael
04-14-2005, 09:21 PM
Nice idea.

I would defintely like to exchange AIM details with other posters.

BTW, I signed up under the same name I use here.

GrunchCan
04-14-2005, 09:27 PM
Ok, some questions I'm sure others have but may not want to ask...

[ QUOTE ]
No one will be turned away based on [...] skill

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? I'd be all about joining, but I'm afraid I'd take from the group more than I'd be able to contribute to it.

Also, I'm mostly a micros poster, although I lurk SS. Is this a factor?

uw_madtown
04-14-2005, 09:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ok, some questions I'm sure others have but may not want to ask...

[ QUOTE ]
No one will be turned away based on [...] skill

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? I'd be all about joining, but I'm afraid I'd take from the group more than I'd be able to contribute to it.

Also, I'm mostly a micros poster, although I lurk SS. Is this a factor?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm more concerned about participation than skill. If you're one of the less skilled players to get involved, your questions will still be beneficial because of the answers others will provide. Secondly, as you develop, you'll hopefully continue a level of participation and will begin to contribute as a knowledgable poster. This theoretically should go on here too, but the forums here have just become so overwhelmed that I think a lot of elder posters contribute less and less because of the massive number of posts. Hopefully this will alleviate that problem a bit.

Trust me, I'm not that good either, so it'd be pretty hypocritical of me to do this remotely based on skill.

Also, there's several hand posting forums over there divided in a fairly efficient (IMO) manner. One of them is for loose-passive online micro (.5/1 and below) or low-limit live games.

Bottom line, all are welcome as long as they're going to contribute, using this to improve their play as well as the quality of 2+2's overworked forums.

wrto4556
04-14-2005, 09:43 PM
I don't post very many hands to begin with, but I could start. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I like the idea, so I'll send you my name when I think of it.

Emmitt2222
04-14-2005, 09:47 PM
Dude, I hope this is just you trying to be modest. You are probably better than most of the people who post in SS. In terms of poker knowledge you are not in the micros, that just where you choose to post.

uw_madtown
04-14-2005, 09:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Dude, I hope this is just you trying to be modest. You are probably better than most of the people who post in SS. In terms of poker knowledge you are not in the micros, that just where you choose to post.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. From the posts I've seen of Grunch's, he's better than me, and many other SS players, by a fair amount.

cold_cash
04-14-2005, 09:55 PM
I signed up. I like signing up for stuff.

go_beavs was my user name.

Later hosers.

Edited to add: Grunch sucks.

GrunchCan
04-14-2005, 09:55 PM
Thanks for the props, to both of you.

btspider
04-14-2005, 10:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd kiss your butt too, but there's no room left!

uw_madtown
04-14-2005, 10:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd kiss your butt too, but there's no room left!

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice! /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Everyone's been approved, so go ahead and check it out if you signed up.

einbert
04-14-2005, 10:15 PM
Wow, that is awesome that you have done that in just one day! I'm really glad this is getting off the ground, already too.

I registered as einbert.

TheDelChop
04-14-2005, 10:38 PM
I am very interested in joining, I signed up as Chopper.

climber
04-14-2005, 10:46 PM
i signed up--same name as here.

Catt
04-14-2005, 11:25 PM
I think this is a counterproductive idea. I won't offer up a long and detailed argument as to why, but I think this is not good.

And honestly, if you look at the signal:noise ratio over the last few weeks, do you all think the "noise" is coming from an influx of new players / new posters / those who haven't already read Nate's Jeez Louise post more than few times?

Evan
04-14-2005, 11:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Nate's Jeez Louise post

[/ QUOTE ]
Was he Clark's ghost writer?

Catt
04-14-2005, 11:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Nate's Jeez Louise post

[/ QUOTE ]
Was he Clark's ghost writer?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Didn't you get the memo?

uw_madtown
04-14-2005, 11:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
And honestly, if you look at the signal:noise ratio over the last few weeks, do you all think the "noise" is coming from an influx of new players / new posters / those who haven't already read Nate's Jeez Louise post more than few times?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, not at all. This is kind of my point. There are a lot of established, frequent posters who either post more hands than they should (and they know better) or posters that would like to post more hands -- especially the "is this standard?" kind -- but restrain themselves. I know I'm like this. I posted 3-4 hands a day several times awhile back, and that was when the forum was really exploding, and it got to be too much. So now I barely post hands at all, I just lurk and when I have time, reply.

With this option, people that join this forum can post extra hands there, get some feedback, and save their toughest hands for posting here. Not to mention the main theoretical benefit of being able to access AIM names and MSN names more easily.

I can't really see how this would hurt the current SS forum -- mostly, it's a concern of whether it will take off at all.

Moozh
04-14-2005, 11:35 PM
I think this could really help. As long as people only use it to post straightforward hands, it would be a good resource for both the people using the forum and the people using SS. Hopefully, this would help reduce the volume here at SS.

I just hope a new 'private' forum doesn't become something elitist. I think that as long as you give it minimal requirements, that shouldn't be a problem.

I'm also in favor of sharing IM names, but I think a special chat room or IRC channel would be better.

CallMeIshmael
04-15-2005, 12:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think this is a counterproductive idea. I won't offer up a long and detailed argument as to why, but I think this is not good.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know how much I would post there...

But, if all I got was a secure place to exchange AIM screennames, then I'd be more than happy OP took the time to set it up.

uw_madtown
04-15-2005, 12:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know how much I would post there...

But, if all I got was a secure place to exchange AIM screennames, then I'd be more than happy OP took the time to set it up.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd be interested to hear more ideas for uses of the forum, or other things that posters here might find useful. It didn't take long to set that thing up at all, but I do think there have to be some extra services that could be provided to help 2+2ers. I'll try to think of some today and see what I can do about implementing them.

Bump for the noon crowd. Everyone is authorized that has signed up, I believe.

chief444
04-15-2005, 12:47 PM
Sure.

Dumb question...What is AIM? Instant messaging?

CallMeIshmael
04-15-2005, 12:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What is AIM? Instant messaging?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

JoshuaD
04-15-2005, 12:53 PM
I'm registering under JoshuaD.

meep_42
04-15-2005, 12:54 PM
meep_42

-d

chief444
04-15-2005, 12:55 PM
Thks. BTW um I registered.

Same name.

Entity
04-15-2005, 12:56 PM
I registered.

pokerstudAA
04-15-2005, 01:01 PM
I am in. Too many good players already on board not too.

Hopefully this can cut out alot of the excess noise.

davelin
04-15-2005, 02:40 PM
I registered, same name.

sthief09
04-15-2005, 02:49 PM
sthief09

Evan and I had actually discussed this. I think it's a good idea

JoshuaD
04-15-2005, 02:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
sthief09

Evan and I had actually discussed this. I think it's a good idea

[/ QUOTE ]

Welcome back. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

27offsooot
04-15-2005, 03:01 PM
Registered, same name.

ipp147
04-15-2005, 03:02 PM
I've signed up - ipp147

Sifmole
04-15-2005, 03:06 PM
Registered, same name

mantasm
04-15-2005, 03:13 PM
MANTASM

jason_t
04-15-2005, 03:14 PM
I registered as jason_t.

Please don't let i_hate_jason_t register. Thanks.

Evan
04-15-2005, 03:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Evan and I had actually discussed this.

[/ QUOTE ]
we gave ours a cool name though.

CallMeIshmael
04-15-2005, 03:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Please don't let i_hate_jason_t register. Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. /images/graemlins/smile.gif /images/graemlins/smile.gif

uw_madtown
04-15-2005, 03:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Evan and I had actually discussed this.

[/ QUOTE ]
we gave ours a cool name though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Donks Anonymous?

The Evanal?

rmarotti
04-15-2005, 03:33 PM
Joined up. Same name as here.

Aces_up07
04-15-2005, 03:48 PM
I'd better get my posts up. I've been lurking for a while but haven't posted much. Like a couple of others said, I don't think I'll be posting too much over there, but AIM names make it a good idea, thats probably the quickest way to receive feedback. IMs cant really get buried.

uw_madtown
04-15-2005, 04:05 PM
I believe I've activated all the new accounts that PMed or posted here at 2+2 to confirm their reg. I'm taking off for the afternoon and won't be back til tonight, maybe not till tomorrow. If anyone that HAS PMed me or posted here can't sign on and see the profiles and boards, let me know and I'll fix it. Anyone else that wants on, register and PM/post to confirm, and I'll add you when I get back.

brazilio
04-15-2005, 04:05 PM
brazilio

Perseus
04-15-2005, 04:10 PM
I signed up to be one of those sucky people who can post hands for discussion and redicule.

Same name as here

cassady
04-15-2005, 04:48 PM
I signed up under cassady.

shant
04-15-2005, 04:52 PM
I signed up as shant.

Stack
04-15-2005, 05:02 PM
Would this deprive us from the help of these reputable posters, here at 2+2ss?

einbert
04-15-2005, 05:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I know that I'm not reputable but I'll still be posting here on twoplustwo every day.

Carmine
04-15-2005, 05:16 PM
I signed up under the same.

Stack
04-15-2005, 05:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I know that I'm not reputable but I'll still be posting here on twoplustwo every day.

[/ QUOTE ]

By "reputable" I really meant the strategy oriented ones (not the joke oriented ones), and you defenitely fall in that category.

Ok, I just gave away that I was a lurker before I started posting 2 days ago, but who wasn't? /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

imported_Jim C
04-15-2005, 09:16 PM
I signed up as "Jim C".

The picture font is horrible. I had to try a few times to figure out whether it was a capital or lower-case Y, l or L or I, etc.

Great idea though.

Thanks,

Jim

imported_Jim C
04-15-2005, 09:17 PM
Here is an idea:

Maybe there could be some moderators who approve hand posts based on appropriateness or something. I don't really know what I'm thinking here, sort of a "peer review" kind of thing to help keep S:N high.

FWIW,
Jim

Spartan1983
04-15-2005, 09:32 PM
Spartan1983

brettbrettr
04-15-2005, 10:09 PM
in like flynn...

CallMeIshmael
04-15-2005, 10:17 PM
Most people have done this aleady...

but, IMO, its probably a good idea to keep your name similar to what it is here. Just so you know who you're talking to.

tizim
04-15-2005, 10:39 PM
I registered under the same name.

mikca
04-16-2005, 06:31 AM
I like the idea of "more serious discussions" (and structured), beacuse it's hard to browse the available information. But I dislike the requirements for taking part of the forum. If the purpose is to get "more serious discussions" there's no need to disallow people to take part of the information, just don't let'em contribute (until they've shown that they're "mature enough").

I think a solution would be to create read-only-accounts, that way, serious lurkers could continue study the game their way.

(Funny that this is my first post, try to guess how I use 2+2 =)

uw_madtown
04-16-2005, 04:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
But I dislike the requirements for taking part of the forum. If the purpose is to get "more serious discussions" there's no need to disallow people to take part of the information, just don't let'em contribute (until they've shown that they're "mature enough").

I think a solution would be to create read-only-accounts, that way, serious lurkers could continue study the game their way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, the most primary purpose of the forum is to create a secure environment to share contact information with other 2+2 users, both via the user profiles and the boards themselves. I just don't want to see people getting spammed with IMs from pranksters or bombarded with beginners questions from someone who just signed up. The 1 month, 50 posts requirement is low enough to serve this purpose, IMO. The only people inconvenienced are a few of you lurkers, and experienced players that are just recently finding their way here.

Unfortunately, I don't think I should make exceptions. If I can figure out a way to create read-only accounts that don't have access to the contact information, I will, but I don't see any way to do that at the moment.

I do apologize, as I don't want this to be an elitist, closed community. I don't think the 50 posts, 1 month requirement is that inconveniencing -- besides, it will probably take a month to see if this project succeeds or fails anyway.

On that note, I've activated more accounts. There are a few people who haven't met the reg/post requirements -- I'll PM you and let you know, and when you've met them, I'll activate you right away. If you're in need of posts, please don't spam to get them (if you've got 50 posts in 2 days after lurking for 3 months, I'll figure that out).

Jeff W
04-16-2005, 04:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If I can figure out a way to create read-only accounts that don't have access to the contact information, I will, but I don't see any way to do that at the moment.

[/ QUOTE ]

Two forums, two account types. One type(lurker) has access to only strategy forum. Second type(member) has access to strategy and contact information forum.

Q.E.D.

CallMeIshmael
04-16-2005, 04:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Q.E.D.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ship it. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

uw_madtown
04-16-2005, 05:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Two forums, two account types. One type(lurker) has access to only strategy forum. Second type(member) has access to strategy and contact information forum.

Q.E.D.

[/ QUOTE ]

Contact information is also accessible by looking at someone's profile, as well as at the bottom of posts.

What I could do is try to remove the contact stuff at the bottom of posts, and then make the strategy forums viewable by all, as you'd still have to be registered to view profiles and the other forums. I'll work on that today.

uw_madtown
04-16-2005, 06:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Contact information is also accessible by looking at someone's profile, as well as at the bottom of posts.

What I could do is try to remove the contact stuff at the bottom of posts, and then make the strategy forums viewable by all, as you'd still have to be registered to view profiles and the other forums. I'll work on that today.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thankfully I had installed a mod to phpBB that made this much easier than I expected.

The strategy forums are now openly viewable. The 1-month, 50-posts requirement is still in place if you want to register to post or exchange/look-up contact info. But the hands posts and general discussion will be "lurkable."

uw_madtown
04-19-2005, 06:29 AM
Just a friendly bump to let the last bunch of people know their accounts were activated.