PDA

View Full Version : World Speed Ranking

buck_futter
04-14-2005, 08:37 PM
I know what you're thinking: what the hell is this. Well I'll tell you.

My housemate and I usually have class around the same time and the walk from our place is about half an hour. To kill time, we usually come up with some ridiculous situations like "if you had to (insert terrible thing here) or your family would be shot..." etc etc etc. You know, those life questions that really make one ponder their existence.
Anyways, we were reading some other dudes post about the 5 year old ass whompings and we were inspired to put up one of our most heated debates:

In the entire world, how fast are you?

Pretty much, if all 6 billion people were to line up and a gun was to go off and you had to run the 100 metre dash, what place would you come in? We said about 7000th. Pretty good eh? yeah, well we started running, and it looked damn fast. And if you take out all the children, the elderly, retarded people, fat people and pretty much every woman minus Silken Laumann, I think that leaves like 7000 people faster than us. We haven't raced to see who is 7000 and who is 7001 yet, but it will happen and we'll keep you posted. So, what place do you think you come in?

bholdr
04-14-2005, 08:40 PM
Are you a track star? there are at least 7k accomplished sprinters in the U.S. alone...

I'd put myself around 5 or 10 million, and i can sprint pretty damn fast. (or i could before i blew out my knees, and when i used to exercixe more often than i do know)

kerssens
04-14-2005, 08:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Are you a track star? there are at least 7k accomplished sprinters in the U.S. alone...

I'd put myself around 5 or 10 million, and i can sprint pretty damn fast. (or i could before i blew out my knees, and when i used to exercixe more often than i do know)

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to mention all the other professional athletes that train year-round...not that the average person is slower than all of them but probably the vast majority of them.

Yeti
04-14-2005, 08:42 PM
Yeah I think you are way overestimating your ability here.

There's probably 7000 people who could run < 10.25.

yellowjack
04-14-2005, 08:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah I think you are way overestimating your ability here.

There's probably 7000 people who could run < 10.25.

[/ QUOTE ]

slickpoppa
04-14-2005, 09:45 PM
I don't know you, but I would estimate that there are probably 10,000 people in Kenya that could smoke you

Chairman Wood
04-14-2005, 10:01 PM
Unless you're some kind of pro athlete or trained sprinter, now way are you 7000. If you are REALLY fast I would say you might be able to make it lower than 200,000

captZEEbo1
04-15-2005, 12:03 AM
yeah, you are probably in the bottom 7000 for the worst estimater in the world.

Reef
04-15-2005, 12:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ya, stat exaggeration makes a post a billion-trillion times worse

ilya
04-15-2005, 12:12 AM
Depends on the distance. Over 5K I think I'd be in the top 500 million. Over 100m, I'd be lucky to break 50th percentile.

Matty
04-15-2005, 12:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
So, what place do you think you come in?

[/ QUOTE ]Assuming you are the average 2+2er, 4 billionth.

Chairman Wood
04-15-2005, 12:17 AM
I'm by no means ultra fast but i'm pretty fit. I would say I could crack the top 400,000,000

fluxrad
04-15-2005, 12:20 AM
I'm going to go ahead and agree with my fellow posters that you're [censored] high if you think you're in the top 7,000.

Assuming 6 billion people on the planet, I'm going to take a shot and say I'm probably in the top 100m.

There are a lot of fast sumbitches out there.

"spaceman"Bryce
04-15-2005, 12:21 AM
Figure out how many people can run better than 13 seconds flat=me.kenya = probably 250million..... Yeah 7k is a pretty good rating......

"spaceman"Bryce
04-15-2005, 12:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ya, stat exaggeration makes a post a billion-trillion times worse

[/ QUOTE ]
I actually think the topic is interesting...It is hard for most people to think of world population stats give the guy a break.

"spaceman"Bryce
04-15-2005, 12:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Depends on the distance. Over 5K I think I'd be in the top 500 million. Over 100m, I'd be lucky to break 50th percentile.

[/ QUOTE ]This post may be the first underestimation...I think that a couple billion people are old/baby/unhealthy(not just fat).By underestimation I mean the 50 percentile part..

buck_futter
04-15-2005, 12:26 AM
whoa whoa whoa, this is getting out of control, let me explain:
You're all right, 7000 out of 6 billion would be pretty fast, but what we're thinking is that there will be so many ties. Like everyone that can run the super speed athlete olympic speeds will all tie within the top 25 say, and then all the varsity atheletes, well they could be in somewhere between the 1000 group and the 1500 group. What we're saying is we would be in the 7000th tie group... I guess if you wanted a straight up number.. how about 562,345? That sounds about right, give or take 10.
In the millions?? You gonna roll across the finish line?

"spaceman"Bryce
04-15-2005, 12:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Figure out how many people can run better than 13 seconds flat=me.kenya = probably 250million..... Yeah 7k is a pretty good rating......

[/ QUOTE ]
I typoed. I was writing something about kenya and erased it(or at least tried)I meant I think that i'm the 250th millionth fastest man alive.

ilya
04-15-2005, 12:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]This post may be the first underestimation...I think that a couple billion people are old/baby/unhealthy(not just fat).By underestimation I mean the 50 percentile part..

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah you may be right. However...I just have no explosive speed, I struggle to break 18 secs.

Matty
04-15-2005, 12:28 AM
Unless you ran track for your college, you and your friends are idiots. And I mean that in the kindest way.

"spaceman"Bryce
04-15-2005, 12:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
whoa whoa whoa, this is getting out of control, let me explain:
You're all right, 7000 out of 6 billion would be pretty fast, but what we're thinking is that there will be so many ties. Like everyone that can run the super speed athlete olympic speeds will all tie within the top 25 say, and then all the varsity atheletes, well they could be in somewhere between the 1000 group and the 1500 group. What we're saying is we would be in the 7000th tie group... I guess if you wanted a straight up number.. how about 562,345? That sounds about right, give or take 10.

[/ QUOTE ]
In the millions..you are still forgetting that a million people in kenya can run under 12 seconds.Not to mention 190 other nations. To be in the top milllion you have to be faster than less than 1 tenth of a percent of the population(i actually f stats all the time but this sounds about right) man I have no idea why ive posted like ten times on this topic.....I didnt even do that during the natalie portman discussion....also the 7000th tie group would be far lower than 500k people...

Chairman Wood
04-15-2005, 12:33 AM
WTF? Groups, when the hell did this factor in. You are changing things in the middle of the thread. That isn't cool. There is NO way that these events could occur simultaneously. Ties just don't exist.

buck_futter
04-15-2005, 12:35 AM
Are we negating ties here?! People, this is absolute madness. There is only one solution:

A RACE AROUND THE WORLD. Maybe not today, maybe not tommorrow, but at some point, you'll each receive instructions and the race will begin. That way, we'll know who is TRULY in 7000th place.

"spaceman"Bryce
04-15-2005, 12:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
WTF? Groups, when the hell did this factor in. You are changing things in the middle of the thread. That isn't cool. There is NO way that these events could occur simultaneously. Ties just don't exist.

[/ QUOTE ]Ties do exist because they are only measured in one hundreths of a second.But bieng in the 7000th tie group would be really bad..Lets say the fastest man ran a crazy 7 seconds(super secret kenyen-russian science experiment.well if you were in the 7000th tie group that would be a time of 77 seconds..I can roll faster than that easy.

Chairman Wood
04-15-2005, 12:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
In the millions..you are still forgetting that a million people in kenya can run under 12 seconds

[/ QUOTE ] Where the hell did you come up with that from?
[ QUOTE ]
. To be in the top milllion you have to be faster than less than 1 tenth of a percent of the population

[/ QUOTE ]

You're a [censored] genious Bryce. I love you!

MEbenhoe
04-15-2005, 12:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I guess if you wanted a straight up number.. how about 562,345? That sounds about right, give or take 10.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is still very likely wrong. The top 1 million is still very elite company. I ran track for the D3 national champions last year(a team that could have, and did hold its own with many D1 teams), and I'm not even sure I could crack the top 1 million. There's so many highly skilled athletes out there around the world, in the pro ranks, amateur, college, even high school.

Unless you're a highly skilled athlete the top 1 million would be really hard for you to crack. What the average person thinks of as fast really isn't. I would destroy the average person in a sprint race, but I don't even come close to being as fast as even top level high school sprinters (which is why I was a jumper and never a sprinter in college).

Chairman Wood
04-15-2005, 12:39 AM
Define what a tie is? Racers within +/- 0.0001 s of each other? If you want to say tie as in a true tie, two simultaneous events, it just is impossible to happen here.

"spaceman"Bryce
04-15-2005, 12:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Are we negating ties here?! People, this is absolute madness. There is only one solution:

A RACE AROUND THE WORLD. Maybe not today, maybe not tommorrow, but at some point, you'll each receive instructions and the race will begin. That way, we'll know who is TRULY in 7000th place.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok the number of a million people in kenya came out of A.an amazement for kenyen track, and B.out of my ass, sorry for my stupidity.I think of Kenyens as superhuman runners so i guess I could be a little carried awaybut like I said I suck at stats too. /images/graemlins/frown.gif
Second a race around the world is a lot different than a 100 meter dash......Kenyens would be even better!!!

Chairman Wood
04-15-2005, 12:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Ties do exist because they are only measured in one hundreths of a second.

[/ QUOTE ]
Quit [censored] making up [censored] Bryce. No where in the OP did he say anything about groups or being measured to any significant digit.

"spaceman"Bryce
04-15-2005, 12:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I guess if you wanted a straight up number.. how about 562,345? That sounds about right, give or take 10.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is still very likely wrong. The top 1 million is still very elite company. I ran track for the D3 national champions last year(a team that could have, and did hold its own with many D1 teams), and I'm not even sure I could crack the top 1 million. There's so many highly skilled athletes out there around the world, in the pro ranks, amateur, college, even high school.

Unless you're a highly skilled athlete the top 1 million would be really hard for you to crack. What the average person thinks of as fast really isn't. I would destroy the average person in a sprint race, but I don't even come close to being as fast as even top level high school sprinters (which is why I was a jumper and never a sprinter in college).

[/ QUOTE ]Im gettign bored on ps so lets try to figure this out!! First off how many people do you think could run an 11 second( varsity track speed) 100 meter dash?

MEbenhoe
04-15-2005, 12:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think of Kenyens as superhuman runners so i guess I could be a little carried awaybut like I said I suck at stats too. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Not all Kenyans are superhuman runners, just those who go through their training program. Also, they've never been proven to be competitive at an elite track level in sprints, however many would still be much faster than joe schmo.

"spaceman"Bryce
04-15-2005, 12:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Quit [censored] making up [censored] Bryce. No where in the OP did he say anything about groups or being measured to any significant digit.

[/ QUOTE ]Im not making [censored] up, thats how they would time you.Theres no way I know of where they can accuratley keep track of this better than to the hundreth of a second..

"spaceman"Bryce
04-15-2005, 12:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think of Kenyens as superhuman runners so i guess I could be a little carried awaybut like I said I suck at stats too. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Not all Kenyans are superhuman runners, just those who go through their training program. Also, they've never been proven to be competitive at an elite track level in sprints, however many would still be much faster than joe schmo.

[/ QUOTE ]
Agreed.I just like the topic idea the only person here who is more confused than me in my tired state is prob the creator.

buck_futter
04-15-2005, 12:48 AM
And totally, not ALL of kenya is fast. Only the ones you see on National Geographic The Channel. There have to be a few of them out there that are slow. What about the unhealthy ones? I don't think they're running ANYWHERE in 7000th tie group place, let alone 566 thousandth.

"spaceman"Bryce
04-15-2005, 12:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
And totally, not ALL of kenya is fast. Only the ones you see on National Geographic The Channel. There have to be a few of them out there that are slow. What about the unhealthy ones? I don't think they're running ANYWHERE in 7000th tie group place, let alone 566 thousandth.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well there are 31,138,735 people in kenya.Many of those are unhealthy etc. lets get down to 5 million healthy men/teens...Yeah it probably would be less than a million but Its not crazy to think that a million of em could=12 seconds....

Chairman Wood
04-15-2005, 12:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Im not making [censored] up, thats how they would time you.Theres no way I know of where they can accuratley keep track of this better than to the hundreth of a second..

[/ QUOTE ]
That's cause you're an idiot. Secondly, we are talking about who beating who, timekeeping device does not matter. Significant digits extend to infinity if you still want to look at it that way. Someone, no matter by how much will always be ahead or behind another.

MEbenhoe
04-15-2005, 12:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Im gettign bored on ps so lets try to figure this out!! First off how many people do you think could run an 11 second( varsity track speed) 100 meter dash?

[/ QUOTE ]

well since a race of this would obviously need automatic timing and not hand timing...there were unofficially 158 high school boys in the United States alone last year who ran 10.70 or faster automatic timing in the 100 meters last year and this just takes reported track times, not including times that were missed, or athletes who didnt run track who were capable of this. Also something that should be noted is that the amount of athletes who can run a given time in something like the 100 grows exponentially as the time increases. So by the time you get to 11.00 you're talking at least 1000 high school boys who can run that in the sport of track and field alone.

and I use the time of 11.00 cuz you named it yourself, but in reality I can guarantee that our OP couldn't run under 12.00 unless he's been actively involved in athletics recently and was quite fast to begin with. Again people look at the times that these guys throw down and underestimate how fast running a time even like 12.00 is relatively. With that said, looking at just how fast high school boys in the U.S. alone are, and when you add in all the factors, I would think there are probably 1,000,000 or more people in the world who can run 12.00 or under in the 100.

Chairman Wood
04-15-2005, 12:56 AM
Tie Group, what the [censored] is the tie group? You need to define this in order to have a discussion here. Are you "spaceman"byrce's gimmick account and just having a conversation with yourself?

MEbenhoe
04-15-2005, 12:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Im not making [censored] up, thats how they would time you.Theres no way I know of where they can accuratley keep track of this better than to the hundreth of a second..

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually in olympic sprints they generally time to the thousandth. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

"spaceman"Bryce
04-15-2005, 01:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Im not making [censored] up, thats how they would time you.Theres no way I know of where they can accuratley keep track of this better than to the hundreth of a second..

[/ QUOTE ]
That's cause you're an idiot. Secondly, we are talking about who beating who, timekeeping device does not matter. Significant digits extend to infinity if you still want to look at it that way. Someone, no matter by how much will always be ahead or behind another.

[/ QUOTE ]
Theres no way it could be consistent like that.First off let me say I hope this isnt going to be a flame thing where we call each other idiots because it is well established that im an idiot, And im just trying to enjoy this topic and i have no negative opinions of you..
Second they time athletes to the (100) hundreth of a second.
But most importantly how could it possibly be accurate to infinity?DO you think that you would run 12.450003452 every single time or is there a chance that would vary everytime?maybe you run 12.450003451 next time....

"spaceman"Bryce
04-15-2005, 01:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually in olympic sprints they generally time to the thousandth. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]hmmm..you are probably right.I guess HS timing isnt used at the olympics huh? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

"spaceman"Bryce
04-15-2005, 01:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Tie Group, what the [censored] is the tie group? You need to define this in order to have a discussion here. Are you "spaceman"byrce's gimmick account and just having a conversation with yourself?

[/ QUOTE ]I dont know what the heck A tie group is.I was saying how irrational they are...the topic creator made those up.

"spaceman"Bryce
04-15-2005, 01:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Im gettign bored on ps so lets try to figure this out!! First off how many people do you think could run an 11 second( varsity track speed) 100 meter dash?

[/ QUOTE ]

well since a race of this would obviously need automatic timing and not hand timing...there were unofficially 158 high school boys in the United States alone last year who ran 10.70 or faster automatic timing in the 100 meters last year and this just takes reported track times, not including times that were missed, or athletes who didnt run track who were capable of this. Also something that should be noted is that the amount of athletes who can run a given time in something like the 100 grows exponentially as the time increases. So by the time you get to 11.00 you're talking at least 1000 high school boys who can run that in the sport of track and field alone.

and I use the time of 11.00 cuz you named it yourself, but in reality I can guarantee that our OP couldn't run under 12.00 unless he's been actively involved in athletics recently and was quite fast to begin with. Again people look at the times that these guys throw down and underestimate how fast running a time even like 12.00 is relatively. With that said, looking at just how fast high school boys in the U.S. alone are, and when you add in all the factors, I would think there are probably 1,000,000 or more people in the world who can run 12.00 or under in the 100.

[/ QUOTE ]
thanks for the post.Yeah my Kenyan guesstamite is way off Im a [censored] idiot.....

Chairman Wood
04-15-2005, 01:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Theres no way it could be consistent like that.First off let me say I hope this isnt going to be a flame thing where we call each other idiots because it is well established that im an idiot, And im just trying to enjoy this topic and i have no negative opinions of you..
But most importantly how could it possibly be accurate to infinity?DO you think that you would run 12.450003452 every single time or is there a chance that would vary everytime?maybe you run 12.450003451 next time....

[/ QUOTE ]
Bryce, how old are you? Just curious. I have faith in you still my boy. You humor me for some reason. I like you. You need to understand what measurement means. When you take a measurement of someone running 100m, say its 9.84 s. Did that runner actually run it in exactly 9.84s? Absolutely not. Usually a device means that the measurement occurs within the range 9.835-9.845 s. Okay now say that you have two people that ran the 100m and the stop watch reads 9.84 and 9.84. They have the same time but did they actually cross the finish line at exactly the same time. Most certainly not. If the OP indeed did what to group them by who finished within one hundreth of a second of each other, then by assuming the world record is 9.80 s, the 7000th group would have the OP running a time of 79.8 s. This whole conversation reeks of stupidity and people smoking too much pot.

"spaceman"Bryce
04-15-2005, 01:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Bryce, how old are you? Just curious. I have faith in you still my boy. You humor me for some reason. I like you. You need to understand what measurement means. When you take a measurement of someone running 100m, say its 9.84 s. Did that runner actually run it in exactly 9.84s? Absolutely not. Usually a device means that the measurement occurs within the range 9.835-9.845 s. Okay now say that you have two people that ran the 100m and the stop watch reads 9.84 and 9.84. They have the same time but did they actually cross the finish line at exactly the same time. Most certainly not. If the OP indeed did what to group them by who finished within one hundreth of a second of each other, then by assuming the world record is 9.80 s, the 7000th group would have the OP running a time of 79.8 s. This whole conversation reeks of stupidity and people smoking too much pot.

[/ QUOTE ]THATS EXACTLY WHAT I SAID IVE BEEN MAKING FUN OF TIE GROUPS ALL ALONG.WHERE DID YOU MISINTERPRET THAT?

MEbenhoe
04-15-2005, 01:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This whole conversation reeks of stupidity and people smoking too much pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh come on, not the whole conversation /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Bulldog
04-15-2005, 04:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Go directly to the nearest institution of higher learning, and sign up for the first statistics course available.

The 7000th tie group? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

If there are 5 of us in a free throw contest, and 4 of us make 10 out of 10, and you make 1 out of 10, did you come in 2nd or 5th?

"spaceman"Bryce
04-15-2005, 04:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Go directly to the nearest institution of higher learning, and sign up for the first statistics course available.

If there are 5 of us in a free throw contest, and 4 of us make 10 out of 10, and you make 1 out of 10, did you come in 2nd or 5th?

[/ QUOTE ]

NOOOOO DO NOT BRING THIS TOPIC BACK I SAID A LOT OF STUPID THINGS IT.

DCIAce
04-15-2005, 06:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't figure out which version was more idiotic.. the "I'm the 7000th fastest person in the world" or "damn, gotta cover up... 7000th, uh, tie group in the world"

CheckFold
04-15-2005, 06:44 PM
Why is everyone talking about Kenya? Has a single world class sprinter ever come out of Kenya? They're distance runners over there. The pure speed all comes from Western Africa.