PDA

View Full Version : No way I could call this, right?

hummusx
04-14-2005, 08:18 PM
I sure would have loved to call this, but this guy really could have had about anything I think. Major overbet hoping to get me to call maybe? Bigger raise PF? No raise PF? Or is it fine?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

UTG (t2753)
Hero (t2635)
Button (t820)
SB (t985)
BB (t807)

Preflop: Hero is MP with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls t50, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t200</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, UTG calls t150.

Flop: (t475) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero folds.

Final Pot: t475

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
No showdown. UTG wins t475. </font>

McBandit
04-14-2005, 08:25 PM
Generally when i see this play it is a draw of some sort, likely a good one, like AJc/A6c or something. I also think it unlikely he had a set, or he would have gone for a checkraise. His bet is a bet that wants a fold, not a call IMO.

Either way, I doubt you want to get all your chips in against a guy with 12 outs or more, given the stack sizes. If I'm in the money already, there's no way I fold this.

McBandit

McBandit
04-14-2005, 08:27 PM
Oh, and if a guy makes a play like this against me, I put it in his player notes. If it's something he uses more than occasionally, I will be more likely to look him up.

Pokerscott
04-14-2005, 08:38 PM
Definite call in my opinion. Why would he bet like that if he has you beat? It looks to me like he is trying to push you out with nothing.

He knows you are concerned about going out given all the short stacks. You can't get too conservative on the bubble and this guy is offering you great odds at 1st or 2nd.

Pokerscott

hummusx
04-14-2005, 08:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Definite call in my opinion. Why would he bet like that if he has you beat? It looks to me like he is trying to push you out with nothing.

He knows you are concerned about going out given all the short stacks. You can't get too conservative on the bubble and this guy is offering you great odds at 1st or 2nd.

Pokerscott

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I was just coming back to this to say that the more I think about it, the more I think I should have called. Normally when a flop comes queen high in a raised pot, I'm a lot less concerned about someone having hit their hand than if a K or A falls. That, plus him having me covered probably would have had him doing this with a lot of hands.

Anyone have a dissenting opinion?

Mr_J
04-14-2005, 08:58 PM
I can't see where you'd call, did the converter mess up?

I definately play that flop...

I don't like the preflop raise. I limp here. You're in early position yourself and KQ isn't that great a hand (perfectly limpable though).

Mr_J
04-14-2005, 09:00 PM
Did UTG push the flop??

hummusx
04-14-2005, 09:01 PM
Erg. I thought I checked the formatting. He pushed on the flop, and I folded.

KQ isn't that good a hand? 5-handed?

Pokerscott
04-14-2005, 09:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Did UTG push the flop??

[/ QUOTE ]

That was my assumption

Pokerscott

Freudian
04-14-2005, 09:13 PM
I think you have him beat on the flop. I can't imagine him pushing with something that beats you. I also think he has some outs. So weighing the opportunity to be the huge stack with three small ones vs going out when you have a healthy stack makes this a hard hand to play.

I think a strong case can be made for both calling and folding. I would probably call, pat myself on the back for my excellent read then be sickened when he rivers the flush.

Apathy
04-14-2005, 09:13 PM
He almost surely has clubs. If the stack sizes are any different, I would call but you are risking too much here, lay it down.

Against this type of opponent who will play very aggresivly on the flop with anything you really need to fold more hands PF, including KQo.

hummusx
04-14-2005, 09:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He almost surely has clubs. If the stack sizes are any different, I would call but you are risking too much here, lay it down.

Against this type of opponent who will play very aggresivly on the flop with anything you really need to fold more hands PF, including KQo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, this was the first I'd seen of anything like this. The next time around he pulled the same move. I actually caught him on a play later and doubled up (I had dropped a bit, so he still had me covered after I doubled). My last hand of the tournament I pushed against his min raise with JJ and he called with Q6 and sucked out. Ah well.

So if I'm tightening up more, I'm only going to play AA,KK,AK,QQ and JJ?