PDA

View Full Version : internet dating

sublime
04-14-2005, 06:49 PM
whats the consenseus on this? my inital thought is its for pathetic people. but my initial thought is usually wrong. i admit to have looked thru some of the sites and a good % of the girls seem 'normal'. i dunno, its been corssing my mind due to my currebt situation (single, work from home, dont drink, have slept with just about all my friends hook ups, also kinda of a loner due to most of my friends being either in prison or dead, or raging drug addicts) seems perfect for a guy like me, but i am still apprehensive. also, i dont have any problem talking to girls. just dont bump into many any more.

discuss you homos

istewart
04-14-2005, 06:50 PM
Become a Yankee fan.

wacki
04-14-2005, 06:52 PM
You have nothing to lose. Try it, just don't expect much.

sublime
04-14-2005, 06:52 PM
why do 83% of responses in OOT have to be an attempt at humor?

jakethebake
04-14-2005, 06:53 PM
If you search for "match.com," there was a thread a few days ago---amidst all the prattle and crap, there were some legitimate, potentially valuable responses.

sublime
04-14-2005, 06:56 PM
you have the link?

i hate the search option

Chaostracize
04-14-2005, 06:57 PM
Funny, that's the same percentage of people who don't like the humor.

Perhaps it has something to do with the [censored] line, which I laughed at for a solid 15 seconds.

RunDownHouse
04-14-2005, 06:58 PM
I've never done it, but from what I've heard/read/think about it, I think you'll find a lot of people in the same exact situation as you. Its time to move past the whole "only nerdy losers use the internet" thing.

J.R.
04-14-2005, 07:04 PM
here (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=exchange&Number=2069633&Fo rum=f20&Words=%2Bmatch.com&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&M ain=2069633&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=&datera nge=1&newerval=1&newertype=m&olderval=&oldertype=& bodyprev=#Post2069633)

wacki
04-14-2005, 07:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Its time to move past the whole "only nerdy losers use the internet" thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

And become a paedophile.

sublime
04-14-2005, 07:08 PM
wtf. i try searching for match.com and get nothing.

JR, you rule.

steviej1717
04-14-2005, 07:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
whats the consenseus on this? my inital thought is its for pathetic people. but my initial thought is usually wrong. i admit to have looked thru some of the sites and a good % of the girls seem 'normal'. i dunno, its been corssing my mind due to my currebt situation (single, work from home, dont drink, have slept with just about all my friends hook ups, also kinda of a loner due to most of my friends being either in prison or dead, or raging drug addicts) seems perfect for a guy like me, but i am still apprehensive. also, i dont have any problem talking to girls. just dont bump into many any more.

discuss you homos

[/ QUOTE ]

Girls you find on the internet are usually

single, attractive, mentally stable (pick 2)

Joe826
04-14-2005, 07:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
also kinda of a loner due to most of my friends being either in prison or dead

[/ QUOTE ]

this is off topic but when are you going to start that blog where you talk about poker and lace the content with stories about thug life? seriously. if i remember right you promised this not too long ago.

Tyler Durden
04-14-2005, 07:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Joe826
04-14-2005, 07:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm pretty sure the other 17% of all posts are direct quotes with no added content.

Dead
04-14-2005, 07:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

47% of statistics are made up on the spot.

Chairman Wood
04-14-2005, 07:36 PM
Give it a shot, what could it hurt?

sublime
04-14-2005, 07:38 PM
i dont live a thug life anymore. i did at one time i suppose, but even then i was more of a thinker than a fighter. i have some hilarious storys about my drug usage, but i dont like to make light of the subject, or glorify it. the crime storys are equally funny, but where it all lead to is not. out of all the kids i hung out with when i grew up, here is the breakdown:

4 dead. 3 before the age of 21.

all of us did some time, me the least amount and my buddy dave the most. he is currently doing a 10 yr state sentance, and has spent most of his life in some sore of instituition.

as far as i know, i am the only sober one. i dont asscoate with any of my active buddys anymore. well except my best friend, mike. i am the godfatehr of his son, i talked to him yesterday and found out my other buddy is wanted by thr feds for for passing fake $20's.

suffice to say, i dont miss that life at all.

Lawrence Ng
04-14-2005, 07:41 PM
Back in 2001, I met my ex through an online dating service portal. She is a wonderful girl, and we had a great 2 years. I also met one of my closest friends who lives in the Bay Area through an online dating service.

This was back in 2001 and it seemed that back then most of the guys and girls were actually sincerely interested in meeting other people and were clinically sane.

If you think online dating is only for pathetic people, then I guess there are a lot of pathetic people (especially guys), since online dating sites are spawning up faster than poker sites and seem to be making millions by charging chumps like you and me.

These dating sites are nothing more than a tool and offers a huge convienence. You pay for that convienence.

In the last 2 years with the increase in people using online dating, the quality of the search has been..degraded.

You have a lot more women who are "just looking around" and not interested in dating. They slap a profile up, but never respond when you send them an email. Then there are those who do respond, you hear from them once, and never hear from them again.

Yes, there are a lot of women online who carry a huge amount of emotional baggage. There are a lot of insecure women who feel the need to regain their attractivenss, attention, and then when they go online and receive about a dozen emails a day, it just helps them feel better. But again they have no interest in meeting a guy.

This is not to say all the women are bad, but because the haystack is growing you have to really weed through it.

Lawrence

Joe826
04-14-2005, 07:44 PM
sounds like bad news man. yeah i wasn't trying to make light of it, i'm just a huge pussy so that kind of interests me. how old are you now?

sublime
04-14-2005, 08:03 PM
sounds like bad news man. yeah i wasn't trying to make light of it, i'm just a huge pussy so that kind of interests me. how old are you now?

i know ya werent, no sweat bro /images/graemlins/smile.gif

i am now a pussy also, its a lot safer /images/graemlins/smile.gif

i am 26 now

mantasm
04-14-2005, 08:03 PM
I tried match.com after like a semester long dry spell, emailed two girls and met one. We're still dating. I'd recommend you just look at profiles for the girls in your area and if you see some you'd like, pay the $20.

i wanna be me
04-14-2005, 08:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

totally agree - dated someone I met online 4 years ago and it was great....until I got bored of course. it's more exciting meeting and initiating it in person.

Wormwood
04-14-2005, 09:58 PM
I tried match.com a couple times. Let me say first off that I don't have any trouble meeting chicks, but I am honestly pretty lazy about it - match.com seemed like the perfect solution. The first time around, I met a rrreeally hot girl that loved Phish and smoking pot, and I thought life was absolutely grand for about 6 weeks...then she stole a bunch of pot from my roommate (allegedly). Next I met another girl that was also pretty hot, but not a pothead or a clepto. We stayed together for over a year, and it was actually a really great relationship and she was a great person, then she got to talking about marriage, and I freaked out and bailed (but this is typical for me lol). Besides those two, I went on quite a few other dates before, after, and in between, and I can't say I had any really bad experiences (well, aside from the clepto of course). I haven't bothered with it lately, because I have actually been meeting a lot of girls elsewhere (when it rains, it pours, or so they say), but I would definitely not hesitate to recommend it if you're so inclined...

DBowling
04-14-2005, 10:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i heard it was >50%

InchoateHand
04-14-2005, 10:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i heard it was >50%

[/ QUOTE ]

Why are the other 17% complaining that the 83% aren't funny?

gamblore99
04-14-2005, 10:29 PM
No experience personally but my housemates sister met her fiance on lavalife. They are both really cool people, and both good looking. She is 23, he is like 27 or something.

GrekeHaus
04-14-2005, 10:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Become a Yankee fan.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the worst advice I've ever seen on 2+2. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

InchoateHand
04-14-2005, 10:33 PM
I'm posting this right here.

http://www.fastdates.com/PitBoardFeatures/JessicaBiel/Jessica01Blade/JessicaBlade3_09.864.jpg

Leo99
04-14-2005, 10:37 PM
I've met quite a few women through the magic of the Internet including my wife. I'm happily married. Give it a go.

The Stranger
04-14-2005, 10:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]

i know ya werent, no sweat bro /images/graemlins/smile.gif

i am now a pussy also, its a lot safer /images/graemlins/smile.gif

i am 26 now

[/ QUOTE ]

It is the strong man who faces his problems and the ghosts of his past head-on, and lives his life and its day to day struggles without trying to escape them. How many of those, "I'm gonna shoot you bitch" guys are actually tough deep down? All of the problems in the human world are a result of the human ego. Humility is strength, brutha. I toast you with an ice-cold bottle of Sioux City Sasperilla.

Evan
04-14-2005, 10:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
dont drink

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't know if I told you this when we met, but you look/sound exactly like a friend of mine. But this line makes you two polar opposites, pretty funny actaully.

As far as the internet dating, I wouldn't do it. Seems preety weird to me. I don't know what to suggest though; if you ever make it to the city I'll introduce you to some NYU girls. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

astroglide
04-14-2005, 11:04 PM
the kind of women that list on dating sites are mostly going to have low self-esteem. might be a good time, but gooooood luck with the actual RELATIONSHIP part.

sublime
04-14-2005, 11:17 PM
It is the strong man who faces his problems and the ghosts of his past head-on, and lives his life and its day to day struggles without trying to escape them. How many of those, "I'm gonna shoot you bitch" guys are actually tough deep down? All of the problems in the human world are a result of the human ego. Humility is strength, brutha. I toast you with an ice-cold bottle of Sioux City Sasperilla.

perfect

sublime
04-14-2005, 11:19 PM
But this line makes you two polar opposites, pretty funny actaully.

well i dont drink, because i 'cant' drink. maybe he cant either. however, that doesnt mean he doesnt.

as for NYC, i will hit it up soon. i now have plently of time on my hands /images/graemlins/smile.gif

04-14-2005, 11:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, it's 83% of istewart's responses in oot are an attempt at humor.

8% of those attempts are successful.

siccjay
04-14-2005, 11:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, this is PERFECT.

MicroBob
04-14-2005, 11:51 PM
I donked around on the personals thing that you can get to via sites like the onion and nerve (the same one).
It tends to draw a more 'liberal' type of crowd....those who might be more inclined to listen to indie-rock, maybe smoke pot (which I don't do), etc etc.

I checked it out because of this ad in the back of the weekly Memphis Flyer paper (the local version of the Village Voice I guess). There were sample ads and a couple of the girls on the back page were pretty hot and the little sample from their ad seemed pretty cool

Friend of mine and I each decided to put up the silliest ad we could.
Naturally, mine was long and rambling and included stuff like "I taught myself to juggle. I like the new Vanilla Coke. I am not originally from the south so don't have one of those amusing accents so pervasive around 'these here parts'. I have yet to see Elvis in my time here. If you spell my name backwards it is still the same. This is called a palindrome." etc etc.

Once I scanned a pic on there I got a few responses.
Mostly reasonable but not quite outstanding.

Then I got a message from a girl who didn't even have a profile listed. We e-mailed a couple times...no big deal.

Talked on the phone and I mentioned that I was going downtown to see a band that I liked...so she decided to meet me there.
I wasn't really that interested in her actually...I didn't even have a pic of her and she didn't seem that exciting to me in our brief conversation...but I was going out anyway so it was just "hey...you can meet me there if you like."

This was at Beale Street which is the touristy area of Memphis. I was sitting at the bar talking with thes 6 or 7 older German guys who were there to visit Graceland etc. I told the one guy that I was on a blind date with a chick I had met on the internet and we made various jokes that she will probably weigh 300 pounds or something and I'll be stuck.
She showed up and, naturally, we hit it off. The german dude gave me the thumbs-up so even he approved of my blind-date. We dug the band and we have been dating for the past 2 years (me and the girl....not me and the german guy).

I only met a couple others in person. It was weird that we had some sort of 'connection' over the phone but then meeting in person was a BIG disappointment. Not exactly just looks wise...just not clicking.
Still got laid of course. One does have to have their priorities.

Then the girl whom I felt ZERO connection with at first turns out to be great and I think we make a pretty decent match.
We like laughing at the match.com commercials and saying 'those couples suck. Meeting on the internet is SOOOOO lame.'

I don't have any experience with match.com but the personals site via the onion or nerve.com (or personals.memphisflyer.com in my case I believe) treated me reasonably well.

Just beware of the psychos.

TimM
04-15-2005, 12:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't have any experience with match.com but the personals site via the onion or nerve.com (or personals.memphisflyer.com in my case I believe) treated me reasonably well.

Just beware of the psychos.

[/ QUOTE ]

I tried this one too. There aren't as many people as on match.com, but the type of women who use it is a bit different, pretty much as you described. I saw some that were on both sites. I think a lot of the women on these sites, at least the attractive ones, are very picky and are looking for a very specific look or personality type. I spoke to one woman on the phone who said she had been on at least a dozen dates, and she said that most of the guys were nice and all, but none of them clicked with her.

To sublime, if you try it, just be careful and learn from others bad experiences to make sure you don't have them as well. If something sounds like a red flag, it probably is.

No picture posted = no good, even if she offers to send you one by e-mail. It's either not her or she doesn't want someone to see it online.

Try to meet in person quickly, for a short, cheap date over coffee or a drink. It's the only way you will know for sure that you aren't wasting time or being lied to, and like microbob says, there is just something different about meeting in person compared to an e-mail or phone conversation when it comes to knowing if you click.

Don't be too bothered if you send messages and don't get any reply, or exchange a few e-mails with someone who then just stops responding. This will happen a lot, you just have to use the sheer numbers to find someone who is actually interested in meeting in person.

MicroBob
04-15-2005, 01:03 AM
In the ads there will be stuff where you can list your height, weight, eye-color, etc etc....(although you don't have to) and there will be a section for what YOUR preference is.

Most of you guys probably wouldn't notice this....but there are a LOT of girls out there who practically REFUSE to date someone shorter than 5-10 or 6-0...particularly if they also are fairly tall...but there are lots of 5-2 girls who list 6-0 and up...and maybe even say something about 'no short guys' in their profile.

Since I'm a towering 5-6 this was sort of amusing to me.
Teresa is only 5-4 though so we don't look too weird together (at least not in that respect).

I briefly dated a 6-2 girl (not from the internet) which was...ummm....interesting.

Indeed...tim is correct that the girls on the site can be pretty picky. But I don't think this is that unlike any other girls who are not doing the internet dating/hook-up thing.

OtisTheMarsupial
04-15-2005, 02:25 AM
Go for it. Internet dating is no more disaster-prone than face-to-face dating. You can (and will) meet weirdos everywhere.

IMO, meeting the right person is more about being ready to meet that person (as in having your [censored] together) and about knowing what you truly want (as in realisticly prioritizing the qualities you want in a mate).

IME, online dating varies from real-life dating in that,
online women lie about their weight, men about their height, and both lie about their marital status, mental stability, and their income. In real liife, they still lie about their marital status, mental stability and income, and tey tend to be a little more suerficial or difficult to get beyond small talk.

Good luck!

WC64
04-15-2005, 03:19 PM
Go for it.

I use hotornot.com, met tons of chicks some good some bad. Just try to get multiple pics before you try to meet them lol. Pass on the model type pics, they are usually fake and if a girl wants you to call her right away something is wrong with her (well thats usually the case).

Bluffoon
04-15-2005, 03:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]

discuss you homos

[/ QUOTE ]

I have found it to be just like meeting women any other place.

It's a little more efficient. I am a divorced dad and I like to date single or divorced mom's. I found that the internet was a good way to meet other busy single parents that I wouldnt otherwise run into.

Use it in addition to going out and meeting women not instead of.

InchoateHand
04-15-2005, 03:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
whats the consenseus on this? my inital thought is its for pathetic people.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think you answered your own question.

IsaacW
04-15-2005, 04:01 PM
The Internet is for Lovers (http://www.nerdyshirts.com/shirt_lovers_girls.php)

theghost
04-15-2005, 04:34 PM
(Take all my advice w/ a grain of salt, as I have never done the iPersonals thing...)

Keep in mind the pics they use are probably the best they have *ever* looked.

The 'pick two' post is great.

I think it has a lot to do with where you are shopping, as well. Nerve is edgier/sexier; Yahoo personals is basically for squares (imo); lots of sites have personals - find your niche.