PDA

View Full Version : How to read betting Style

Ivanfrost
04-14-2005, 04:41 PM
Hey guys i won my first big toruney yesterday night WOOT! It was a $20 buyin with 9 people with the option to rebuy if you went out by 11:30. Well i was ultra lowstack at 11:25 and went all in so i could rebuy by 11:30. At that point there was 6 other people still in. There was a girl to my left 1 position away from me who was constantly challenging my stack by going all in after my bets. The blinds were pretty high now like 150-300 and buyin left me with 2000 chips. At one time when it was 300-600 i raised in the small blind with 4 people left with A J suited to 1200. Immediatly after again she went all in with her big stack. I thought for a minute then folded thinkin maybe a pocket pair. I found out few hands later she had garbage. So i was going to wait to have the nut pocket and nail her ass with a v small bet or check. Well i had about 4k in chips
and got KK i was in the small blind and limped in hoping she would go all in to steal the blinds. She didnt but the flop came up rainbow low garbage and i checked to her she bought it and Went all in... I took her out :P she had 6 9 unsuited and just had a pair 6's to my KK.
That made me the chip leader and i eventually won winning $180.00

My Question is this i was able to read her betting style because it was pretty obvoius but the others i had a really hard time with. How do i figure out the subtle betting style because i am not seeing it. And even her it took me all night to figure her out that is just one person.

Ivanfrost

/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

johnny005
04-14-2005, 04:45 PM
I recently put up a post about the same thing, I wanted to know what sort of thought process everyone is going through as they begin to classify a player and then use that to put them on hands. Hope we get some answers on this one

Apathy
04-14-2005, 04:46 PM
I nominate this for post of the day.

johnny005
04-14-2005, 04:50 PM
Same here, Alot of stuff to be talked about here

The Yugoslavian
04-14-2005, 04:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hey guys i won my first big toruney yesterday night WOOT! It was a $20 buyin with 9 people with the option to rebuy if you went out by 11:30. Well i was ultra lowstack at 11:25 and went all in so i could rebuy by 11:30. At that point there was 6 other people still in. There was a girl to my left 1 position away from me who was constantly challenging my stack by going all in after my bets. The blinds were pretty high now like 150-300 and buyin left me with 2000 chips. At one time when it was 300-600 i raised in the small blind with 4 people left with A J suited to 1200. Immediatly after again she went all in with her big stack. I thought for a minute then folded thinkin maybe a pocket pair. I found out few hands later she had garbage. So i was going to wait to have the nut pocket and <font color="red"> nail her ass </font> with a v small bet or check. Well i had about 4k in chips
and got KK i was in the small blind and limped in hoping she would go all in to steal the blinds. She didnt but the flop came up rainbow low garbage and i checked to her she bought it and Went all in... I took her out :P she had 6 9 unsuited and just had a pair 6's to my KK.

My Question is this i was able to read her betting style because it was pretty obvoius but the others i had a really hard time with. How do i figure out the subtle betting style because i am not seeing it. And even her it took me all night to figure her out that is just one person.

Ivanfrost

[/ QUOTE ]

http://forums.caraudio.com/vb/images/smilies/needpics.gif

Yugoslav

Apathy
04-14-2005, 05:07 PM
Finally some valuable insight.

Ivanfrost
04-14-2005, 05:30 PM
Thanks for your input if you can direct any of your friends or know someone on hear that we might get some answers that would be great!

Maulik
04-14-2005, 06:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hey guys i won my first big toruney yesterday night WOOT! It was a $20 buyin with 9 people with the option to rebuy if you went out by 11:30. Well i was ultra lowstack at 11:25 and went all in so i could rebuy by 11:30. At that point there was 6 other people still in. There was a girl to my left 1 position away from me who was constantly challenging my stack by going all in after my bets. The blinds were pretty high now like 150-300 and buyin left me with 2000 chips. At one time when it was 300-600 i raised in the small blind with 4 people left with A J suited to 1200. Immediatly after again she went all in with her big stack. I thought for a minute then folded thinkin maybe a pocket pair. I found out few hands later she had garbage. So i was going to wait to have the nut pocket and <font color="red"> nail her ass </font> with a v small bet or check. Well i had about 4k in chips

Ivanfrost

[/ QUOTE ]

http://forums.caraudio.com/vb/images/smilies/needpics.gif

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

this thread is money bro, youdon't know what you're talking about!

Welcome to the commmunity

The Student
04-14-2005, 07:49 PM
Well, I'm definitely not an authority on this forum, but I'll give it a shot. Btw- congrats on your win.

Here's a list of a few things I look out for and what I do when I find them. Since I'm no SNG master yet, I basically look for the most glaring betting patterns, try to investigate them some more, and then figure out what to do about them. Here are some examples:

1. The guy who always pushes or comes over the top.
I was recently playing a SNG and when it got heads up, I was outchipped by about 3:2. The villian raised on every hand pre-flop and pushed over the top of me if I ever just completed the SB. Now I knew that he couldn't be getting monster hands every time, but I still didn't have anything good enough to call his pushes. I threw away several hands and realized that this guy didn't want to deal with any post-flop play, so I was going to have to find a hand I liked and play it for all my chips pre-flop. I soon found A/Qo and decided that was good enough, completed from the SB, and called his push when he raised me from the BB. He had a weaker ace (probably one of the better hands he had been playing) and I doubled up. After that hand, he turned into a puppy, and was folding everytime I completed from the SB and then bet out on the flop.

2. The guy who limps into a pot from late position when nobody else had entered the pot. If nobody else is in the pot yet, why just limp? In my mind, it's either because you have a monster and you're hoping to get raised by one of the blinds so you can re-raise large pre-flop or you're hoping to trap post-flop, or it's because you're playing a crappy marginal hand (let's say, J/10 off or a middle PP) and don't want to risk a lot of chips to see the flop. If someone does this, I then watch how they play the flop - if it comes with some face cards, do they bet the flop if nobody else bet it yet in front of them? What do they do if the flop is rags? I will wait to see their hand if they go to showdown and will check the hand history to see what they had if they went to a showdown and lost. If they are playing marginal hands by limping into pots with them, then I'll try to pound them with raises when I have position on them and get them to lay down their weak hands.

3. The big stacks (this isn't so much about betting styles necesarrily, but is still something to look for).
I always want to know how the big stacks play because they are the ones who can double me up or pound me. I always watch or check the HHs to see how the big stacks earned their chips. I'll often see someone who has doubled up by the end of the first level and I want to know why. Is it because they got good cards and played them well - if so, I will be slightly more wary of them than I would any other average player. Or is it because they got lucky early - for example, I justed played a SNG last night where someone raised large in an early level from EP, the button re-raised large, and the BB called both of them with a pair of 2s. Of course, a 2 hits, so he knocks out the guy with the pocket Qs and the other guy with the pocket As. Now I've got this huge stack to my left who I know overvalues his pocket pairs, so if I have a good hand, I'll be ready to play for all my chips against him.

These examples are simplified somewhat, but I think it'll give you a start on the kinds of things you should look for and how to start thinking about betting patterns.

gl,

ts-

prepotency
04-14-2005, 08:02 PM
Good general information from this post.

I think a good thing to do is take player notes for betting styles here. Namely, when you see a showdown where someone has a monster hand like AA or KK or something, look at HH and see what their pre-flop raise was. Do they like to call from early position to trap or do they like to raise from everywhere? how many BB do they raise? how do the play the flop if they miss? things like this

this information is valuble in the later stages of the tournament sometimes because it will help you put them on a hand when you see a 4BB raise from middle position, etc.

then of course there's the generic fish lable that goes into the player notes with an addendum like: "fish - likes to call pot-sized bets in a gutshot draw" etc.