PDA

View Full Version : I want to get a CD player / new speakers for my car

Sponger15SB
04-14-2005, 04:30 PM
I don't want to spend a lot, and I only need 1 CD and not like a 10 CD changer, cause I really enjoy listening to the radio.

Anyways, I want something that I'll be able to bump rap but not like out of control ears bleeding, how much should I expect to spend on something like this, I would like to keep it as cheap as possible. Also, are there any places that are nationwide like best buy or whatever that do free installation?

I drive a 93 Camry LE so uh, yeah, my speakers and stuff suck.

swede123
04-14-2005, 04:34 PM
I like Alpine's lower end (but not crappy) head units. Look to spend $150 or so for a pretty decent unit. I'm not a speaker man so I'll leave that to someone else.

Swede

Edge34
04-14-2005, 04:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
best buy

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the place to go - looks like you answered your own question.

edtost
04-14-2005, 04:35 PM
i went overboard a couple of years ago and spent like $2k - you can probably get something decent enough for $5-600 if you don't need a sub or external amplification. a decent system with a single small sub would likely run ~1.2k or so.

edtost
04-14-2005, 04:36 PM
i haven't looked in a while, but you likely can't get anything decent from best buy even if you try, much less a qualified installer. go to a small local shop.

edtost
04-14-2005, 04:38 PM
alpine head units are good (i have one). eclipse/kenwood also make decent stuff.

as far as speakers go, alpine has pretty good stuff there also; look at focal if you're willing to spend a little more.

thatpfunk
04-14-2005, 04:39 PM
Go to a crappy asian place with all the boxes on the floor. You can bargain with them, especially if you're getting speakers+cd player.

There is one in Kearny Mesa that is very cheap (although if you run in to trouble later you might be screwed).

Sponger15SB
[ QUOTE ]
you can probably get something decent enough for $5-600

[/ QUOTE ]

whoa, so is it even possible to get something complete for like $200?

edtost
[ QUOTE ]
I drive a 93 Camry LE so uh, yeah, my speakers and stuff suck.

[/ QUOTE ]

also, have the shop redo your wiring, which is likely shot by now.

Edge34
I got a pretty good Pioneer system installed at best buy. Works great - couldn't ask for more.

Haven't done the speakers for my car yet, but I will be soon.

edtost
04-14-2005, 04:40 PM
hu+speakers for $200 may well be worse than whatever's in there now.

Sponger15SB
04-14-2005, 04:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
hu+speakers for $200 may well be worse than whatever's in there now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Alright...hmmm....maybe I should just get like one of those $100 CD players and then see how it sounds and take it from there?

edtost
04-14-2005, 04:42 PM
that can't hurt.

Sponger15SB
04-14-2005, 04:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Go to a crappy asian place with all the boxes on the floor. You can bargain with them, especially if you're getting speakers+cd player.

There is one in Kearny Mesa that is very cheap (although if you run in to trouble later you might be screwed).

[/ QUOTE ]

How much did all the stuff in your car cost?

All the rap music you listen to sounded nice when I was in it, white boy.

thatpfunk
04-14-2005, 04:54 PM
My stuff is pretty old, but I got an alarm, cd player, and door speakers for like $300ish.

Do you need 6x9s? I have my stock ones in, and as long as I don't try to make my bass super loud, it sounds fine for my purposes (which is listening to music, not driving up and down the street rattling people's windows and showing everyone how cool my speakers sound).

If you just want a simple cd player and door speakers you could probably get something decent for ~$250...

edtost
04-14-2005, 05:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Do you need 6x9s

[/ QUOTE ]

oval speakers blow.

thatpfunk
04-14-2005, 05:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
oval speakers blow.

[/ QUOTE ]

(My goal) is listening to music, not driving up and down the street rattling people's windows and showing everyone how cool my speakers sound

edtost
04-14-2005, 05:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
(My goal) is listening to music

[/ QUOTE ]

if you want to listen to music that sounds good, take your guidance from audiophile-quality home systems - i guarantee none of them contain an oval speaker. the sound quality is greatly reduced compared to a round speaker in an effort to increase volume and bass.

believe it or not, some people care about sound quality, even in their cars, more than they care about SPL's.

thatpfunk
04-14-2005, 05:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i guarantee none of them contain an oval speaker. the sound quality is greatly reduced compared to a round speaker in an effort to increase volume and bass.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's why you have the door speakers, to provide the highs...

edtost
04-14-2005, 05:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That's why you have the door speakers, to provide the highs...

[/ QUOTE ]

unfortunately, the oval speakers, in trying to compromise in order to play both high and low sounds, wind up doing neither well. also, having sound coming from behind you or blow and to the side (door speakers) royally fucks up imaging and soundstage.

door speakers can produce decent midrange if they are combined with seperate tweeters which are placed in positions so as to equalize the distance from your ears while also placing them in front of you in order to maintain some semblence of imaging/soundstage. this combination, along with a subwoofer (whose output is low enough to make it very hard to locate), will provide a decent approximation of an actual stereo system.

mmbt0ne
04-14-2005, 05:46 PM
Meh. A car is the worst possible place to try to listen to music. I never understood people who wanted to put a couple grand into the sound system in their car. My friends did though, so I got to sit through everything they did.

That said, all of your advice is solid. Definitely rewire everything if you get new speakers. It really makes a difference.

swede123
04-14-2005, 05:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]

door speakers can produce decent midrange if they are combined with seperate tweeters which are placed in positions so as to equalize the distance from your ears while also placing them in front of you in order to maintain some semblence of imaging/soundstage.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool. So this is why some luxury cars have some small speakers mounted up high on the door right in front of the window?

Swede

Alobar
04-14-2005, 05:51 PM
If you want junk, you can get a crappy CD player for less than $100 nowadays. And some ghetto 6x9s and a swap meet 10" or two for like another $100. If you have any experience with that kind of thing, its not very hard to instal yourself. If you dont tho, definately dont try and attempt it.

hoesntly, I wouldnt waste your cash unless you want to get something relatively decent.

Low end pioneer stuff is alright. Pioneer elite is really nice. I would say spend at least $500, or dont spend anything at all.

MarkL444
04-14-2005, 05:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
cause I really enjoy listening to the radio.

[/ QUOTE ]

ahahahah

Alobar
04-14-2005, 05:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ahahahah

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah I didnt get that either. I mean if he got a 10 disc changer he could still listen to the backstreet boys, brintey spears, and all that other gay radio pop [censored], but without the commercials

edtost
04-14-2005, 06:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Cool. So this is why some luxury cars have some small speakers mounted up high on the door right in front of the window?

[/ QUOTE ]
yup. though putting something to house them in the kick panels actually does the distance equalizing much better.

edtost
04-14-2005, 06:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Meh. A car is the worst possible place to try to listen to music. I never understood people who wanted to put a couple grand into the sound system in their car. My friends did though, so I got to sit through everything they did.

[/ QUOTE ]

meh. i have a decent system in my dorm room as well, but i almost never take the time to just sit and listen to it, whereas i'm in my car a lot and having music that sounds almost as good makes my driving experience much more fun.

Sponger15SB
04-14-2005, 06:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ahahahah

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah I didnt get that either. I mean if he got a 10 disc changer he could still listen to the backstreet boys, brintey spears, and all that other gay radio pop [censored], but without the commercials

[/ QUOTE ]

I do. I've got a 1,000 playlist online and I find myself shuffling through like 10 songs every time I want to listen to something.

I like being forced to listen to songs every once and a while, and almost all classic rock is good in my opinion.

So yeah, I like listening to the radio.