PDA

View Full Version : KQs Against 4 flush - Did I waste a bet on the river?

Sasnak
04-14-2005, 03:38 PM
Villain is sLA-P >100 hands 23/11/1.27

I hit the nut straight on the river but it also made a four flush. Even though I didn't want to, I made a crying call here. According to Miller/SSHE folding in this spot for one bet is a mistake, no?

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is CO with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, SB calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 4/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, MP3 calls.

Turn: (7 BB) K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP3 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls.

River: (9 BB) A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 11 BB

Aaron W.
04-14-2005, 03:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Villain is sLA-P &gt;100 hands 23/11/1.27

I hit the nut straight on the river but it also made a four flush. Even though I didn't want to, I made a crying call here. According to Miller/SSHE folding in this spot for one bet is a mistake, no?

[/ QUOTE ]

Folding this river would be bad. Even sLA-Ppy here might take a shot on the river. After all, he *DID* LRR PF, which means he has some sort of fancy in him.

SlantNGo
You're good here way more than 1 in 10. Easy call.

droolie
This is a crying call. Especially given the fact that the river was an A. Too high a % of the time he's bluffing to fold this.

Nitpick- It can't be a nut str8 with a 3-flush on the board...

Sasnak
04-14-2005, 03:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sweet. At last someone is looking PAST my play to find something to pick on! (Guess I should have went with A High Straight and left it at that. Posting while playing, so much for my hiatus but I did drop down to work on issues.) /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

gvibes
04-14-2005, 04:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm... I thought the nut straight just = the best possible straight. In other words, you can have the nut straight without having the nuts.

SlantNGo
04-14-2005, 04:18 PM
I've heard both... I guess the proper term is a broadway street, but I hear nut flush being used on double-paired boards even.

tor
04-14-2005, 04:33 PM
*grunching*

I would say you played it fine. Since you have 10:1 odds on your call for the river, I think you'll probably break even or better on this play.

droolie
04-14-2005, 04:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm... I thought the nut straight just = the best possible straight. In other words, you can have the nut straight without having the nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the correct usage the word nut means "currently unbeatable". You can have the nut set, nut str8, nut flush etc but not if a better holding is available.

Ianco15
04-14-2005, 04:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
It is still the nut straight even with a 5-flush on board.

Francis
04-14-2005, 04:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
It is still the nut straight even with a 5-flush on board.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's how I've always understood it; you can have the nut set, straight, flush, boat. Funny how we don't say "I've got the nut pair!".

But if you have the best possible hand, you have the nuts, period.

Ianco15
04-14-2005, 04:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
True. There is a difference betweent "the nuts" (absoulte best hand for that board) and the nut straight or nut flush, which may not be the nut hand for that board.

Sasnak
04-14-2005, 04:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
True. There is a difference betweent "the nuts" (absoulte best hand for that board) and the nut straight or nut flush, which may not be the nut hand for that board.

[/ QUOTE ]

I always went by nut flush and nut straight to denote the best possible holding in that specific hand ranking.

The "Best Possible" hand was deemed to be the 'Absolute Nuts'.

With all this talk about nuts, think I'll ring up my honey and get my "nut" for the day.