PDA

View Full Version : Cruise experience - stops along Mexico

Rick Diesel
04-14-2005, 12:53 PM
Mrs. Diesel and myself, along with some friends, will be cruising aboard the Carnival Cruise lines ship Glory for a week in May. The stops that we will be making are at Key West, Cozumel, Belize, and Yucatan.

We are trying to decide which offshore excursions we should partake in. For those that have been to these areas, can you provide me with any suggestions?

bosoxfan
04-14-2005, 01:00 PM
If you are into diving or snorkeling the reefs off Cozumel are not to be missed.

You can also swim with Dolphins in Cozumel, that was a fun time.

Toro
04-14-2005, 01:33 PM
When you go to Cozumel if you're into getting falling down drunk you have to go to Carlos & Charlies. If you're not, you have to at least watch the people returning to the ship from that place. Everyone is totally obliterated and it's quite a sight to see.

Talk2BigSteve
04-14-2005, 01:40 PM
If you are taking the one out of Orlando you will have a blast!! One suggestion is to upgrade to a balcony room. I went on this cruise ship and if you want a good room, ask for room #1064 Panorama Deck Balcony right near the elevator.

Key West --you have to go to the Butterfly conservatory and the Aquarium. It is one trip and it not that bad cost wise.

You'll experience the beauty and diversity of nature on this fascinating dual tour.

On this excursion you will:

Take a short, air-conditioned motor coach ride to the Key West Butterfly and Nature Conservatory.
Discover the warm and inviting environment that is home for tropical plants and butterflies.
See hundreds of butterflies, representing up to 60 different species from North, Central, and South America, Africa and Southeast Asia.
Watch as they flutter around the 5,000 sq. ft. greenhouse among an impressive collection of flowering plants, cascading waterfalls and trees.
Learn about the butterflies’ life cycle in a 15-minute film.
Observe and photograph the delicate winged creatures.
Browse through an assortment of nature-related items, including original artwork by artist Sam Trophia in the gift shop.
Re board your motor coach for a ride to the Key West Aquarium.
Explore the aquarium -- Key West’s oldest attraction -- dating back to 1935.
Marvel at the hundreds of species of local marine life, including: grouper, moray eels, and barracuda.
Enjoy a hands-on experience with the sea creatures at the touch tank.
Witness a shark feeding and pet a live shark!
Visit the Atlantic Shore exhibit for an in depth perspective of mangroves and the Florida Keys. Note: Shuttles with wheelchair lift are available on request with an advance notice to your Shore Excursion Manager.

Cozumel --Definately!!! Xcaret & Dolphin Swim

Take a 40 to 45-minute ferry ride to Playa Del Carmen, on the mainland of Mexico.
Enjoy a short scenic drive to Xcaret.
Explore and experience the many attractions featured here at your leisure.
Visit the museum, bird sanctuary, stables, botanical gardens, aquarium, restored Mayan ruins, a replicated Mayan village, as well as beautiful beaches and natural pools.
Swim through a mysterious underground river before meeting the friendly dolphins.
Enjoy a hands-on experience with the dolphins in the water.
Take home unforgettable memories of the dolphins’ endearing desire and ability to interact with humans.
Note: This excursion is a swim encounter and you will not be pushed or pulled by the dolphins. Minimum age is 3 years; minimum height is 4 feet.

Remember to bring your swimsuit and a towel. No radios or sunscreen are allowed in the park.

This excursion is not recommended for pregnant women.

A life vest is included for the underground river swim; snorkels and masks are available for an additional cost. Food and beverages are available for purchase throughout the park's venues.

Belize --We did the Altun Ha Mayan Site & River Wallace

This excursion is actually two amazing excursions rolled into one. It’s a cruise down the Belize River and a journey to the ancient ceremonial center of Altun Ha.

On this dual excursion you will:

Explore the Rio Wallace -- home to crocodiles, manatee and even dolphin.
Visit the Mayan city located only seven miles from the sea and surrounded by rainforest.
See the site where the famous nine and a half pound jade head of the sun god Kinich Ahau was discovered.
Explore two plazas and thirteen structures at the epicenter of this Mayan ceremonial site.
Climb the prepared stone steps to the top of the main temples.
Notes: Your river trip will be approximately 1-¼ hours, and since the boats are uncovered, a hat and sunscreen are recommended. Restrooms are available at Altun Ha.

Your return bus trip is approximately 45 minutes and the excursion may operate in reverse depending on participation.

Infants, ages 0-3, participating in this shore excursion must have a ticket purchased for them.

Yucatan --Colonial Izamal

Experience Izamal, founded in the fifth century A.D. It’s a perfect example of a Spanish Colonial city.

Take a 90-minute drive to the city to tour the majestic Franciscan convent.
See a huge convent built on top of one of the main Mayan pyramids.
Visit the central atrium of the convent, the second largest in the world.
Enjoy an authentic Yucatan lunch before touring the town in the horse drawn carriages.
Pass such sights as the Izamal City Hall, the largest building of its kind in the Yucatán.
See cannons on display in the Parque de los Cañones, a legacy of turbulent 19th century conflicts.

We had a great time!!! I hope you do the same!!

Big Steve /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Rick Diesel
04-14-2005, 01:58 PM
Yes, we fly into Orlando and then have to drive to Cape Canaveral (sp?) where we board the ship. Our room is already selected and we don't want to change, as between us and our friends we have 6 total rooms that are right by each other.

Excellent suggestions that we will definitely consider except for Cozumel. I think that it is pretty much set that we are all going on the party boat there.

Rick Diesel
04-14-2005, 02:00 PM
Is it possible to sneak liquor onto the ship? I would like to sneak a handle of Captain or two in with my luggage, to save on some of the expensive drinks that are on the ship. Will they check my luggage as I come aboard? Is it possible to sneak it on during the stops?

jackdaniels
04-14-2005, 03:35 PM
You can sneak the booze on without too much trouble, they will not check your bags. If you still feel a bit weary of the check, fill up a bottle of ice tea/water (brown vs. clear selection here) and put THAT in your bag. You can also buy the booze on the boat at their duty free. I've been on a couple of Royal Carrib crises and they don't mind you taking the bottles and doing with them as you please (as opposed to holding them for you till you disembark).

The only drinking you should pay for is wine with dinner (and if you bring your own bottle they will charge you a corking fee - still cheaper than buying their wine) and frozen drinks/beer by the pool.

Enjoy the trip!

swolfe
04-14-2005, 03:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you still feel a bit weary of the check

[/ QUOTE ]

why would a bag check make OP physically or mentally fatigued?

bah, i've been seeing this one a lot recently. it's either WARY (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=wary) or LEERY (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=leery)...you can't mix the two into a brand new word.

Toro
04-14-2005, 04:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

bah, i've been seeing this one a lot recently. it's either WARY (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=wary) or LEERY (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=leery)...you can't mix the two into a brand new word.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure he can. Who gives a [censored]? Oh, you do. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

moondogg
04-14-2005, 04:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You can sneak the booze on without too much trouble, they will not check your bags.

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends. I was on a Carnival cruise, and the x-ray'ed everyone's bags getting back on the boat (it was about 9 months after 9/11).

Brock Landers
04-14-2005, 04:27 PM
I hope you have fun on your trip Rick, but why did you have to get married???? You were only thinking of yourself. What about all of us at 2+2 who expect a good Vegas trip report every now and then? No more non-whores? WTF Rick?

Rick Diesel
04-14-2005, 04:43 PM
I was married before the last Vegas trip report.

Rick Diesel
04-14-2005, 04:46 PM
Also, I was going to post a cruise trip report. This one will probably be a lot more entertaining than the Vegas trip report due to the fact that there will be a lot more of my friends there.

I can't wait to offer one of them $20 to start screaming "Shark! Shark!" while we are out snorkling.

The potential terrorist game will be in full-force during the plane rides.

[censored]
04-14-2005, 05:01 PM
Does this mean there will be another trip report?

BusterStacks
04-14-2005, 05:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you are lame, be quiet.

Rick Diesel
04-14-2005, 11:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Does this mean there will be another trip report?

[/ QUOTE ]

That is correct. And as I posted earlier, this one will be much better as more of my friends will be there.