PDA

View Full Version : developing an improvement plan (mediocre content, introspective post)

flair1239
04-14-2005, 12:41 PM
The last two weeks I have hit a learning slump. I have been evaluating my play and feel I am aware of most of my weaknesses; or at least some of them. The problem is they have not been getting any better. This is disappointing because the previous 3-months of this year I felt like I was improving on a almost daily basis.

This is not triggered by results, as they are pretty much stable. But honestly the frusteration of percieved stagnation, is starting to bleed over into my game the last couple days.

My problems in no particular order as I see them are the following:

1. I am making mediocre decisions in the form of loose calls (both of raises and single bets) on the big bet streets. I seem to have trouble with getting check raised on the turn (out of a usually irrational fear of possibly folding the best hand). Some of this I am inviting by being over aggro with some marginal holdings (see #2).

2a. My PF raising is up, historically I have ran around 9%. These days (meaning my last 20,000 hands) it is more like 12%. This is the result of a pretty wide range of open raising hands and many loose blind steal attempts. This maybe would not be a problem if it were not for:

2b. I get married to hands that I raise pre-flop. I don't think I am exaggerating at this point if I say I am betting the flop about 85% of the time after I raise. My Flop Aggression number is about 3.8-4.1. I am also raising if bet into a very significant portion of the time. This is caused by:

3. I am afraid that folding after showing PF and flop aggression will cause me to be viewed as weak and that people will start taking shots at me. I am honestly convinced at this point my ego may be playing a larger part in this than I care to admit.

4. I honestly think I am in that stage described in that Ray Zee article, the one after your tight phase where you start to become overly aggressive. I find myself frequently doing third level thinking crap against people who are probably barley even thinking on the first level. (not a shot at them, but a shot me... you guys know what I mean.)

There are other problems (hand reading...etc) that I could be better at. But I feel that even marginal improvement on the above issues would add probably roughly .5 BB/100 to my win rate (yes I think it is that serious).

SO what is the problem. I have concisely identified definite problem areas, I have even partially identified solutions. The problem is I am not implementing, if anything it is getting worse.

I go to post some of these hands, but then I look at them and think "f### it, it is obvious what I should have done, I am just wasting everyones time.". For a little bit I considered shelling out $500 to have a coach evaluate a couple sessions, but at this point it does not seem like it would be worth it (the size of the fee as it relates to the size of my BR), as it is not a mystery to me what I am screwing up on.

So a rambling post. I am not looking for sympathy, more like ideas. I am willing to put a lot of time into anything somebody can think of, I guess I am looking for some brainstorming.

Feel free to be harsh if you feel it is appropriate.

frank_iii
04-14-2005, 02:51 PM
Well, you've already analyzed it pretty well so you know what some problems are. For me, if I'm struggling with points 2b and 3, every time I miss the flop I'll stop and think about WHY I am going to bet or raise and what I'm trying to accomplish. Then, after I've missed like 62 flops in a row and feel that the vultures are taking pot shots at me I'll consider just packing up and leaving the table. <shrug>

Good luck!

Demana
04-14-2005, 03:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I go to post some of these hands, but then I look at them and think "f### it, it is obvious what I should have done, I am just wasting everyones time.".

[/ QUOTE ]

You're afraid to have your play critiqued and have your leaks proven to you. As long as you don't post hands, you can continue to misplay them and hide behind the "I know I misplayed this, but I won't do it next time" thoughts. Post some hands and take your lumps. The only way to get better is to admit that you are worse than you thought and this post is a good start.

Now post your damn hands (though don't go all crazy and post like 20 a night... /images/graemlins/smirk.gif)

chief444
04-14-2005, 03:03 PM
My pfr is close to 12%.

My flop aggression is way less than yours.

If I feel someone's taking shots because of this I'll just play back occasionally. Other times my ego survives.

pokerjunky
04-14-2005, 03:12 PM
Don't feel bad, I pretty much always bet the flop no matter what after a PF raise although mine is only about 8%. There are exceptions however like if I raise 99 UTG, get about 4 or 5 callers and the flop comes something like AKT then I'm definately checking. I think that in most cases though a flop bet is correct after a PF raise since the pot will be large and you would like to fold as many hands as possible, plus it may earn you a free river or showdown against timid opponents.

J.R.
04-14-2005, 03:28 PM
how many tables do you play
do you play to play or play when you feel alert and rested
how long have you played your current limit
do you have much balance in your life (seriously, online poker burns u out slowly and before u relaize it u have been snowballing downward for some time)

flair1239
04-14-2005, 03:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I go to post some of these hands, but then I look at them and think "f### it, it is obvious what I should have done, I am just wasting everyones time.".

[/ QUOTE ]

This is probably true.

You're afraid to have your play critiqued and have your leaks proven to you. As long as you don't post hands, you can continue to misplay them and hide behind the "I know I misplayed this, but I won't do it next time" thoughts. Post some hands and take your lumps. The only way to get better is to admit that you are worse than you thought and this post is a good start.

Now post your damn hands (though don't go all crazy and post like 20 a night... /images/graemlins/smirk.gif)

[/ QUOTE ]

flair1239
04-14-2005, 03:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
how many tables do you play
do you play to play or play when you feel alert and rested
how long have you played your current limit
do you have much balance in your life (seriously, online poker burns u out slowly and before u relaize it u have been snowballing downward for some time)

[/ QUOTE ]

1. 3-tables.
2. For the most part yes say 75% of the time.
3. HAve been at 5/10 a little over a month.
4. Decent. Live with my girlfriend. HAve a two yearold daughter that I have just about half-time. Go out occasionally...etc.

GrekeHaus
04-14-2005, 07:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
2a. My PF raising is up, historically I have ran around 9%. These days (meaning my last 20,000 hands) it is more like 12%. This is the result of a pretty wide range of open raising hands and many loose blind steal attempts. This maybe would not be a problem if it were not for:

[/ QUOTE ]

12% is too high, and I think I can prove it. I've had debates as to what is optimal and the answer (obviously) is that it depends on the game somewhat. I read 7.5% a while ago, but my impression is that most solid players are actually a bit higher than this. Right now, I'm at about 8.5%.

So here's the deal. If you're playing in a tough, tight game, then raising more than your fair share might be fine to raise more since you will be stealing more and trying to win more pots where you're not actually ahead, but since you're posting in this forum, this is obviously not the case. Thus, you should only be raising when you think you're best.

This can't be the case more than 1/10 times. There are other cases where you can raise for pot equity or strategical reasons, but these are more rare. If you're raising 12% of the time pf, it's probably a leak.