PDA

View Full Version : Raise in MP3, Button 3-Bets

phillydilly
04-14-2005, 12:35 PM
I dunno, this hand just seemed wierd, Button has the initiative and position on me, but is content to just check behind.
Anyone take a shot on the flop or turn?
Anyone not bet the river?

Only about 5 hands at the table, so no idea on reads.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

Turn: (3.75 BB) 9/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

River: (3.75 BB) J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>,

CanKid
04-14-2005, 12:36 PM
standard/boring

nolanfan34
04-14-2005, 12:39 PM
I think you played it fine. Out of position, if he wants to keep letting me get free cards, fine by me.

I don't see the merit in betting the flop or turn, since you can't really call a raise with any confidence.

I think it looks good.

Pokey
04-14-2005, 12:44 PM
I bet the flop. He can't like it, and he might fold a blank if he thinks your bet means an overpair. You're probably drawing thin on this board since you could easily be dominated; you'd like to win this early rather than wait around.

If I did check this flop and button checks, I definitely bet the turn. You're indicating a failed check-raise and the board STILL looks like crap. Also, at that point you're still drawing very thin with only one more card to come. You need to make something happen here, and a nice bet into a pot with only 3.75BB buys it right here much of the time.

If you did bet the flop, however, you can slow down on the turn, but heat up that river with a bet. On the river, I say YHIG.

nolanfan34
04-14-2005, 12:52 PM
I think you're basing that too much on how this hand itself played out. I can't figure out why you think betting out on the flop is a great idea. How do we know the 3-better doesn't like it? If he has an overpair, or even better overcards, he's probably going to raise, and then what? Are you folding the flop to a raise there?

I can kind of see the theory that betting the turn makes it look like we missed a check-raise on the flop. I'd probably have to be willing to fold to a raise though.

Pokey
04-14-2005, 12:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I can't figure out why you think betting out on the flop is a great idea. How do we know the 3-better doesn't like it? If he has an overpair, or even better overcards, he's probably going to raise, and then what?

[/ QUOTE ]

Then we know he liked it, and it only cost us 0.5 BB to gain that information. We either fold here and now or make a loose call and fold a turn blank.

Ignore how the hand played out, and try this instead: you check this crap flop and Button bets. Do you call that, raise it, or fold it?

If you called, do you call another on a blank turn?

How about a blank river?

I know my method can seem expensive, but I see it as a tiny chip spew to prevent a slow bleed or a sacrificed pot.

CallMeIshmael
04-14-2005, 01:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I bet the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif

CallMeIshmael
04-14-2005, 01:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think you played it fine. Out of position, if he wants to keep letting me get free cards, fine by me.

[/ QUOTE ]

chief444
04-14-2005, 01:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Then we know he liked it, and it only cost us 0.5 BB to gain that information. We either fold here and now or make a loose call and fold a turn blank.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm fairly sure of three things on this flop:
1) A call if I bet could be a better no pair or pair.
2) A raise if I bet could be a better no pair or pair.
3) I'm behind.

nolanfan34
04-14-2005, 01:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ignore how the hand played out, and try this instead: you check this crap flop and Button bets. Do you call that, raise it, or fold it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd probably call, and check/fold a non-heart, non K or J turn.