PDA

View Full Version : Easy Preflop Question 3/6

Piiop
04-14-2005, 07:28 AM
Full 3/6 Table. It was short for awhile, then filled up.

New player posts UTG and checks, UTG+2 raises leaving himself with $1, MP 3-bets leaving himself with $7, you're on the button with ATo, both blinds are reasonably tight.

Cap, Call, or Fold?

Michael Emery
04-14-2005, 07:42 AM
Fold. AT off is too weak and too likely dominated to play here imo.

Mike Emery

crunchy1
04-14-2005, 08:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]

New player posts UTG and checks, UTG+2 raises leaving himself with $1, MP 3-bets leaving himself with $7, you're on the button with ATo, both blinds are reasonably tight.
Cap, Call, or Fold?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you think you can fold out the blinds - cap. By capping you are severly cutting down on the implied odds for the blinds and the UTG poster. They will not be able to win enough from the short stacks who will be all-in on the flop to make loose calls profitable for themselves. Furthermore, too often at 2/4 (it may be different at 3/6) I see players who are shortstacked willing to go in with almost anything. I think you have the best hand out of the two short stacks over 50% of the time you're playing against a random hand from the UTG poster and if the blinds are tight enough your cap may even get a fold from a better hand (AJo/AQo).

Donk
04-14-2005, 08:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Furthermore, too often at 2/4 (it may be different at 3/6) I see players who are shortstacked willing to go in with almost anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, but this thing is going to showdown, and IMO ATo is just too weak.

27offsooot
04-14-2005, 08:51 AM
easy fold.

ChromePony
04-14-2005, 08:54 AM
I let this go. Yeah short stacks are sometimes reckless, and the 3-bet could just be to isolate the other one, but I still see you being dominated too much on this one.

evain
04-14-2005, 08:55 AM
fold.

adamstewart
04-14-2005, 09:00 AM
Fold.

... and it's not even close.

Adam

Octopus
04-14-2005, 10:01 AM
There are three arguments in favor of capping. First, players who are close to being all-in will raise/3-bet lighter than they would otherwise. Second, we have a UTG poster which both increases the amount of money in the pot AND increases the chances that the other are raising light. Finally, even if we are dominated, it will not be as costly as it would if we were in the position of pouring more money in on later streets with a second best hand. We are, in esssence going to be getting free cards to draw out on the hands that dominate us, if they are there. (Of course, this works both ways.)

The only time capping is a big mistake is if one of our opponents has a pocket pair bigger than 9s and the other holds an ace. If they both hold Ax (and one dominates us), we are only slightly behind pot-equity wise.

So I guess the answer to the question depends on the opponents. Are they steaming? Did they just lose a big pot and are now looking to lose the rest and quit? If I thought that was even a possibility, I would probably go ahead and cap it. Otherwise I would throw it away and not feel bad about it.

frank_iii
04-14-2005, 02:28 PM
I think this is a cap or fold, leaning toward a fold.

I have a personal theorem that dictates always re-raising any playable hand versus an all-in first-in preflop raiser...this plays in along those lines but not quite. Maybe if it was soooted. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

CallMeIshmael
04-14-2005, 02:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Fold.

... and it's not even close.

Not Adam

[/ QUOTE ]

shant
04-14-2005, 02:31 PM
I'd fold.

spoohunter
04-14-2005, 02:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Cap, Call, or Fold?

[/ QUOTE ]

Your title is VERY deceptive, this is not easy. I cap though.

spydog
04-14-2005, 03:35 PM
I would probably fold this but I think it's probably close. The PFR and 3-bettor are probably pretty crappy players since they are running out of money preflop, so your ATo probably has enough 3-way equity against their desparation hands for a cap to be +EV. However, you have to be pretty sure that you will get this 3-way.

SunOfaJack
04-14-2005, 04:02 PM
Fold. ATo isn't strong enough 3-way (yes if play it, definitely raise to push blinds). The equity just doesn't get much higher than 33% enough.

I agree with alot of the comments and the first raiser's hand could probably be very weak (2 sooted cards), the 2nd raiser could be weak as well, but having to rely on both of them being weak is not worth the reward.

I think in this situation my raising point would be 99 and up and AJs and better.

SGS
04-14-2005, 04:10 PM
Fold. ATo Licks to one raise let alone two (unless they're lags), even if the raisers are both almost all in. My guess is you folded and would have won the pot with the raisers showing down some junk. No matter, calling this is still -EV.

SGS

Piiop
04-14-2005, 09:08 PM
I'm kind of surprised by the responses here, maybe you guys give the two raisers too much credit. I thought it was kind of implied that since they have so little money left they're raising with anything. If I'm going to play it I think it's obviously going to be a cap - no need to let anyone else into the pot.

I'm not too worried about being dominated. In fact, I think I will dominating a weaker Ace(s) more often than not. A-high is the next best thing to a pair when going to a showdown, so I'm fine with it.

According to Pstove, ATo isn't looking too bad here at all. With the extra blind in and both other players being almost all in, I would think this would be a cap and not a fold. It is close.

cnfuzzd
04-14-2005, 09:10 PM
easy easy easy cap

peace

john nickle