PDA

View Full Version : BB defense: K7s 10/20

Guy McSucker
04-14-2005, 06:51 AM
After a massive 25 hands or so, villain here has raised his button every time, and the one time I played back at him he folded the flop. Seems vaguely solid, hard to tell in this time.

Party $10/20 6-max.

K7s in the BB. Fodled to button who raises. SB folds. I call.

Flop: 7 3 2 rainbow. I check-raise. He calls.

Turn: 4. I bet, he calls.

River: 3. I bet, he raises, I call.

Comments on all streets appreciated.

Many thanks,

Guy.

krishanleong
04-14-2005, 07:17 AM
The hand looks good. If you have a ton of hands and knew villian to be really solid, I still think you should call the river.

Krishan

TMFS9
04-14-2005, 12:41 PM
What about checking on the river to induce an overcard bluff here, as it seems that the only hands that will pay you off here are is maybe a strong A, as I feel if you check an A2 A4 will probably bet for value. So I don't see you losing too much by checking and you give him a chance to bluff at the pot. Given that you bet, I would've of called the raise. The rest of the hand seems standard.

Grisgra
04-14-2005, 01:09 PM
Against someone who *always* open-raises from the button, I'll often 3-bet this from the BB and lead the flop regardless of what it looks like. I think you played it fine, though.

arkady
04-14-2005, 01:12 PM
if that river was a 5 maybe i can find a fold, otherwise looks good to me.

Guy McSucker
04-14-2005, 05:01 PM
Thanks chaps.

I think the river bet was a mistake: check-call looks much better to me. Anyway he shows A8 for no pair and my hand is good.

Guy.

sam h
04-14-2005, 05:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think the river bet was a mistake: check-call looks much better to me. Anyway he shows A8 for no pair and my hand is good.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. This type of opponent is likely to pay off with Ace high or any pair. While he bets pairs, he is not that likely to bet overcards, especially ones with showdown value. There is no reason to think that the 3 hit him.

Grisgra
04-14-2005, 05:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks chaps.

I think the river bet was a mistake: check-call looks much better to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

No way I'm giving A-high a free showdown. You gotta bet the river.

[ QUOTE ]
Anyway he shows A8 for no pair and my hand is good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ain't 10/20 fun? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

BottlesOf
04-14-2005, 05:43 PM
Standard.

mperich
04-14-2005, 05:47 PM
Looks standard. Not betting the river here is a HUGE mistake. If I was your opponent I would be calling you down with ace hi here everytime on this unthreatening board. Note also that your opponents raise is HORRIBLE. Basically the definition of a valueless raise.

-Mike

Guy McSucker
04-15-2005, 06:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]

If I was your opponent I would be calling you down with ace hi here everytime on this unthreatening board.

[/ QUOTE ]

If lots of opponents will call down here, then yup, I need to bet the river.

Now I've changed my mind twice in one thread. Cool!

Guy.

Michael Davis
04-15-2005, 07:06 AM
"I think the river bet was a mistake"

You have top pair good kicker and your opponent hasn't raised since you forced the issue on him. How could a river bet be a mistake?

-Michael

Guy McSucker
04-15-2005, 07:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]

You have top pair good kicker and your opponent hasn't raised since you forced the issue on him. How could a river bet be a mistake?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a mistake if he won't call the river with a worse hand, because he'll always call with a better one I think. If I'm winning, his most likely losing hand is no pair, likely A-high if he's stuck with it all this way, so the question is just how often he'll call with ace high.

Or am I forgetting my river-betting-101?

Guy.

Michael Davis
04-15-2005, 07:45 AM
No, you're right, but the times where you can seriously worry that your opponent won't call with a worse hand than top pair are rare. 732 is a blind bluffer's flop and he's often correct to call down with ace high here, so make him pay when he does. You could check in a situation where he's likely to bet anything he will call, but when he clearly has high cards and no piece of the board betting is best.

-Michael