PDA

View Full Version : Some weird idea I had

einbert
04-14-2005, 04:46 AM
Okay, so here's the deal. I run into about 100 hands a day where I'm not 'sure' what the correct course of action is. I want to greatly reduce that number, and I'm not comfortable posting all 100 of them on twoplustwo everyday. I hate posting a hand and asking 'standard?' and similarly I hate posting a hand, waiting X hours for a reply only to have forgotten about the hand by the time it comes back.

I do use AIM, and it would be really nice to just be able to paste in the converted hand to someone more experienced than me and get their quick thoughts on the hand. If the two of us can't solve the hand, I'll post the hand in the forum where it can get more attention and hopefully generate discussion.

I have already been doing this for a few days with one twoplustwo guy. It has been really great so far, but of course one person isn't always around to answer questions.

This way, the simpler questions 'is this a river value bet?' 'is this a pf 3-bet vs lag?' can get answered quick and not take up forum space, while the more complicated hands can still get detailed analysis on the board.

I feel like something like this could really help me (and probably others) go from being C+ players to B+ and A players in time. And if I had the AIM sn's of several people instead of just one, it probably wouldn't become too much of a burden for just one person. I would of course also do my best to help other people try to figure out hands that they are having trouble with.

Anyway I have been trying to think of a good implementation for this idea for a few days. I can only think of what I have written, but if anyone can think of a better solution to this please post it here.

Besides AIM, there is the PM system. But of course I'm open to other suggestions.

Anyway please let me know what you think of my idea and whether or not you would be interested in participating. One concern of mine is that I don't want certain people to get hounded with questions constantly. I'm not quite sure how to go about solving that but I'm sure there is a compromise available that will keep both parties happy.

istewart
04-14-2005, 04:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I was reading the faq and when you get 2500 post you are called carpal.First off I dont get it, and second off why cant you be called something like grandmaster or sex symbol?or just poker pro?

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

einbert
04-14-2005, 04:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I was reading the faq and when you get 2500 post you are called carpal.First off I dont get it, and second off why cant you be called something like grandmaster or sex symbol?or just poker pro?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yeah, and you should all read this (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=exchange&Number=2146779&Fo rum=All_Forums&Words=&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Main=2 146779&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=23606&datera nge=1&newerval=1&newertype=w&olderval=&oldertype=& bodyprev=#Post2146779) thread. Right now!

jason_t
04-14-2005, 04:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yeah, and you should all read this (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=exchange&Number=2146779&Fo rum=All_Forums&Words=&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Main=2 146779&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=23606&datera nge=1&newerval=1&newertype=w&olderval=&oldertype=& bodyprev=#Post2146779) thread. Right now!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm really sorry to continue the hijacking of this thread, but this (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=politics&Number=2124497&Fo rum=All_Forums&Words=-Re%3A&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Main=2081150&Search=tr ue&where=bodysub&Name=23606&daterange=1&newerval=1 &newertype=w&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev=#Post21 24497) is good too.

Aces_up07
04-14-2005, 05:00 AM
einbert, I think the idea is great. Unfortunately for you, i am a much worse player than you are, but if you want my AIM screen name anyways, just PM me, I would actually like to try to "solve" your hands anyways. Its only great practice in thinking about situations.

What I have recently started doing is this:
I review my questionable situations on the day as I put them together to E-mail to a few friends. Often (without looking at the results of each hand) I can figure out where I made a lot my mistakes.

I take all those hands that I can't figure out(and a few that I have figured out), and I paste them in an E-mail that I send to a couple of friends of mine. If they feel so inclined on the day, they respond. Usually at least one will respond, and discussion of the hands will ensue.

Any that we as a group are still unsure of, I'll post here myself.

Unfortunatley, I find it hard to keep up with a lot of 2+2 hands, and feel like hands I post sometimes get lost in the shuffle. So this has started helping me.

Shillx
04-14-2005, 05:03 AM
GG with the avatars btw. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

I'm stuck with the baby. But since I was used as a model for the Gerber baby it isn't so bad...

uw_madtown
04-14-2005, 05:14 AM
What would everyone's feelings be about a semi-private SS forum?

By semi-private, I mean that all user sign-ups would have to be approved by an admin. The only condition for approval would be a minimal status as a poster here (say, minimum of one month, at least 50 posts). That small requirement is designed to keep out trolls, spammers, and noobs better served in 2+2 beginners forum -- not to exclude anyone based on skill or popularity.

Users at this forum could list their AIM / ICQ / MSN / e-mail address without worrying about getting heavily spammed or bothered, as you would with an open, public listing of IM names.

If this idea was accepted, it'd be accepted on the basis that the forum was not an alternative to SS but rather a complement to it -- a place to post extra, less substantive hands that just need a checkup, annoying PT stats posts, or just for general off-topic chat amongst SS regulars. Hopefully that would remove a lot of the chaff from this forum, as long as people still posted more marginal and difficult hands here, as well as the interesting projects like Ishmael's stat analysis.

I'm sure there are lots of other benefits and possibilties, as long as it is carefully managed as, like I said, a complement forum and not an exodus or alternative.

Is there any interest in this? I have the webspace and bandwidth for such a project, and could probably get it set up fairly quickly. I'd like to hear positive and negative feelings on it -- I'm optimistic about the idea, but it's not like my feelings will be hurt if people thing it's a stupid idea.

einbert
04-14-2005, 01:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What would everyone's feelings be about a semi-private SS forum?

[/ QUOTE ]

That sounds like a great idea.

[ QUOTE ]
Users at this forum could list their AIM / ICQ / MSN / e-mail address without worrying about getting heavily spammed or bothered, as you would with an open, public listing of IM names.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, this was one of my main concerns originally.

I want to know though, are people actually interested in participating in this? I think it has some potential, and I would definitely do it.

shant
04-14-2005, 02:01 PM
How about a SS IRC room, like the #twoplustwo room on EFNet, but you make it specifically for SS hands. I've seen people in the IRC room show eachother hands with that one website where you can put in the hand history and it converts it. Not as nice as bison's converter, but it gets the job done. Then you could get feedback from many people at once.

meep_42
04-14-2005, 02:11 PM
I'd be down for this, but i'm not sure how much help i'd be. :P

-d

Aces_up07
04-14-2005, 02:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How about a SS IRC room, like the #twoplustwo room on EFNet, but you make it specifically for SS hands. I've seen people in the IRC room show eachother hands with that one website where you can put in the hand history and it converts it. Not as nice as bison's converter, but it gets the job done. Then you could get feedback from many people at once.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is a fantastic idea.

CallMeIshmael
04-14-2005, 02:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I want to know though, are people actually interested in participating in this? I think it has some potential, and I would definitely do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that it is a solid idea.

The chat room on IRC is up, but the times I've joined, it seemed like nothing was going on.

PS: What is with the avatars? I know there is a contest going on, but I tend not to read anything but SS too frequently, so I'm sure I missed the OP.

JackThree
05-17-2005, 07:05 AM
irc sounds excellent

JoshuaD
05-17-2005, 08:39 AM
I was thinking nearly the exact same thing yesterday. There are a buncha hands I play that are too mundane to post, but I still feel like I may be over- or under-playing.

My aim is in my profile, anyone can feel free to IM me, but I'll probably bug you for the exact same reason. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

QTip
05-17-2005, 08:44 AM
What about this idea:

You compile the 100 hands or whatever number as save it as a text file and host it somewhere. If you have any space from your email provider or whatever....just host the file. You can them come in here and say (or just email or PM a list of players that you have an agreement with), I just put a new file at such and such location. These players can then load these into PT and review them and give you their thoughts, suggestions and questions. The chief and I have done this several times through email; however, by putting it on the web, you could easily get as many as would to review them.

PokerBob
05-17-2005, 09:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The only condition for approval would be a minimal status as a poster here (say, minimum of one month, at least 50 posts).

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh. Anyone can post. I have 3K. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

DMBFan23
05-17-2005, 09:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
'is this a river value bet?'

[/ QUOTE ]

yes

I think if you started PMing people you wanted to give/get advice from, it would kind of grow from there