PDA

View Full Version : GREAT GOOGLY MOOGLY!!!! [Probe v TwoDimes]

Bill Murphy
11-01-2002, 12:26 AM
This is taken from the "20/40 Hi/Lo" thread. I use Caro's Probe simulator. It works, but it's an old DOS program, kinda creaky. You can still use it in Windows[even XP Server], though. Just right-click the icon in your floppy drive window, then open.

Andy B posted a link to a free online simulator @ twodimes.net. I punched in the 6th St hands from the thread, and this is what I got back:

7-card Stud Hi/Low 8-or-better: 1560 enumerated outcomes
cards scoop HIwin HIlos HItie LOwin LOlos LOtie EV
As 4s 3s 2s 7c 6c 290 310 1249 1 1443 111 6 0.563
Ad 5d 3d 2d Ah 5h 95 1249 310 1 111 390 6 0.437

Formatting's rough off the cut n paste but you get the idea. The 1560 outcomes are the EXACT possibilities[40x39] for these hands. The EV's are the precise percentages.

Oh, yeah, the answer came back instantaneously.

Wow. The things they can do w/computers these days.... /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Bill Murphy
11-01-2002, 12:39 AM
As is stated at the .2 site[.2, get it? /forums/images/icons/cool.gif ], for complex hands, they run a 500K hot n cold[like Probe does]. Indeed, it appears that 5th St stud problems fall into this category. Not surprising, considering it took me over two hours once to do a simple stud high 5th St hand that Johnny Chan had guessed completely wrong on.

The biggest advantage to .2, other than it's, uh, free, & lightning fast, is that you can simply edit your query, adding or subtracting cards, w/o having to type the whole thing in again. Way cool. Any serious stud player who ain't all over this bad ol' boy is a freakin' idjit that deserves to go broke.

Probe's still alright, case you don't have online access, but what a diff 10 years make in computer science, eh? /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Rick Nebiolo
11-01-2002, 01:30 PM
Bill,

Both these programs are pretty nifty.

You wrote: "This is taken from the "20/40 Hi/Lo" thread. I use Caro's Probe simulator. It works, but it's an old DOS program, kinda creaky. You can still use it in Windows[even XP Server], though. Just right-click the icon in your floppy drive window, then open."

I have XP too. I assume you keep Caro's Probe on a floppy from the above passage. You can create a folder for the Probe files on your hard disk and a shortcut to the executable program. The shortcut can go on the desktop or Start menu.

I still use the math function in a 18 year old copy of Wordstar to balance my checkbook! Why change when it works ;-).

Regards,

Rick