PDA

View Full Version : A couple of value bets I missed?

Aces_up07
04-14-2005, 03:56 AM
I was looking over my overcard play, because it is terrible, and I found AQ to be the absolute worst. Am I missing value bets on these first two? did I play that third one correctly?

Button is slighty loose and aggressive preflop, and passive post flop
BB is a complete fish, very loose very passive

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with Ac, Qc.
3 folds, Hero raises, 1 fold, Button calls, 1 fold, BB calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 5d, Jc, 7s (3 players)
BB checks, Hero bets, Button folds, BB calls.

Turn: (4.25 BB) 6h (2 players)
BB checks, Hero checks.

River: (4.25 BB) 8c (2 players)
BB checks, Hero checks.
Final Pot: 4.25 BB

================================================== ==========
BB is tight passive preflop and aggressive after
I have no read on CO, he just sat.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with As, Qs. CO posts a blind of $3.
6 folds, CO (poster) checks, Hero raises, 1 fold, BB calls, CO calls.

Flop: (6.33 SB) 2d, 4d, Qh (3 players)
BB checks, CO bets, Hero raises, BB folds, CO calls.

Turn: (5.16 BB) 2h (2 players)
CO checks, Hero bets, CO calls.

River: (7.16 BB) 3d (2 players)
CO checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 7.16 BB

================================================== =========

UTG + 1 is very tight, fairly aggressive preflop and very aggressive post flop.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with Qh, Ah.
1 fold, UTG+1 calls, 1 fold, Hero raises, 5 folds, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) Kc, 6d, Ac (3 players)
BB checks, UTG+1 bets, Hero raises, BB folds, UTG+1 calls.

since he is so aggressive, I figured him for raising AK, AA, or KK preflop.
Since he is tight, I didn't see limping with 66 upfront.
Thought he might be betting a draw or something like KQ

Turn: (5.25 BB) 3c (2 players)
UTG+1 bets, Hero calls.

River: (7.25 BB) 8d (2 players)
UTG+1 bets, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 9.25 BB

brettbrettr
04-14-2005, 07:58 AM
Hand 1 I bet the turn. If he's passive, I'm not thsat worried about a c/r, anbd if it happens I can easily fold. I don't however want him to bet into me on the river. I hate when people do that.

Hand 2, bet river.

Hand 3 looks fine.

Rex Ruthless
04-14-2005, 09:15 AM
HAND #1
I fire one more time on the turn, but check the river unimproved. On the river you can only beat an Arag no pair hand and a weak passive player is calling with any pair on that board IMO.

HAND #2
With no reads on the CO, you don't know if he is betting the flush draw or weaker Q. If you get CR'd on the river flush card are you able to lay it down? If not, then I check as well.

HAND #2
Would UTG+1 play A6s in EP? He is not afraid of your hand despite your preflop raise since he keeps betting into you. He either has made the flush on the turn or has A6.

CanKid
04-14-2005, 11:33 AM
hand 1: i bet this turn most the time, checking is ok too, check behind on river UI

hand 2: river check is really bad with no reads, you can't give him credit for a flush c/r, bet

hand 3: i dont like it, he'd c/r a big flush i think

with an aggressive player i would have waited till the turn to raise this some of the time, bit of a gamble letting BB catch a card tho for 1sb.

The way you played it, i'd raise the turn as well, and probably be the end of me putting $ into the pot this hand UI,

pergesu
04-14-2005, 01:43 PM
Realize that many, many low limit players will call the flop with just overcards. In fact, a flop call is usually automatic. Take notice of how many times you get an immediate call on the flop, then they hesitate and fold to a turn bet.

Keeping that in mind, betting this turn is a good play, and if you consistently do it, you'll find you're winning a lot more pots without showdowns, and your BB/100 will correspondingly improve.

Hand 2, bet the river.

Hand three, I think you can go a couple ways on. The first is to play it exactly how you did, which I think is fine. I also thought you might want to raise the turn as well. I had some initial hesitation about this, because if he three-bets you, you should fold - so you can get a showdown for the same price if you just call. But consider how good your opponent is, try to determine if he's aware of some more advanced poker concepts. I know that TOP and HEPAP both say that if you bet the flop, and your opponent raises on what you think is a draw/semi-bluff, you should just call and bet into him on the turn. So if your opponent thinks you might raise with a draw (unlikely, but possible), or QQ or JJ (very possible), then he very well could bet into you on the turn. He'd likely do it with a weaker ace (AJ, AT, A9) or K. In this particular hand, I think you make the max and lose the min the way you played it. But I think some of the time, I raise the turn. Thinking about the possible range of hands your opponent could hold is important - thinking about the possible range of plays your opponent could make is tougher and more advanced. But it's fun, and a big reason why I love poker. And it'll make you an even bigger winning player.