PDA

View Full Version : AJs in the BB...what to do on the river?

sin808
04-14-2005, 02:58 AM
This was my very first hand of the night. I've only played with one of the players before, and he's not involved in this hand. Don't get much more readless than that. Comments on all streets are welcome. This may be standard, but I've been running into this type of a situation constantly for the last 3 days, so call it a checkup.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 max, 8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. MP2 posts a blind of $1.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls, MP2 folds.

Flop: (5.50 SB) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls.

Turn: (3.75 BB) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls.

River: (5.75 BB) A/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, Hero...

istewart
04-14-2005, 03:00 AM
I think this is a fairly decent line so far. I'd call here but you're not winning often. What's your plan for a blank river?

sin808
04-14-2005, 03:10 AM
I'd been debating that since the flop. I was oscillating between check/fold and check/call...I was leaning toward the fold.

jrbick
04-14-2005, 03:14 AM
I like the line too. Unfortunately UTG didn't shake off on the T.

Don't see any way around calling the R -- you've got 2 pair w/ great kicker. Maybe he sucked out w/ the BDF from the F, but I think calling is necessary w/o any read. He may have thought you were betting the K the whole time and Ax is the hallmark fish holding. This looks like chop chop; don't fall for it.

macdaddy991
04-14-2005, 03:17 AM
I don't like the turn bet. I feel like you are behind way too much here. I would check fold the turn. Perhaps this is too weak?

chunk
04-14-2005, 03:22 AM
I think it looks fine. I call.

SoftcoreRevolt
04-14-2005, 03:26 AM
Call. I wouldn't be shocked if you are chopping this pot more often than not when Ace high has stuck around. But of course there is always the annoying slow played trips or runner runner flush of doom, but don't fear them too often.

kapw7
04-14-2005, 03:40 AM
Nice HU play. I would have raised the river if this K was not there, as it neutralises my (most likely) better kicker.

deepsquat
04-14-2005, 06:19 AM
just call this. You cant fold top pair in this spot. Id say he may have an 8 and was just tagging u along.

Chris Daddy Cool
04-14-2005, 06:36 AM
i'd call. those suggesting check folding the turn are getting pushed around too easily.

@bsolute_luck
04-14-2005, 08:09 AM
i'd call. you're chopping with Aces and 8s with K kicker or losing an oddly played AK or flush.

i think he thinks you have a paired King though, that's why i think calling is fine.

RaiNz
04-14-2005, 09:29 AM
Call the river. I think its a chop chop, and villian thinks you were betting kings the whole way. Did he have Ax of spades? Probably not since he didn't try for a free card. CHOP CHOP!!!

PokerProdigy
04-14-2005, 09:37 AM
I'd call here because you're now getting 8.75 to 1, and it seems that he's NOT gonna put you on an ace but rather a king, so maybe he just decided to take a shot at it with a hand that missed when a scare card rivered. Also, I think you may have played this too aggressively on the turn, you should have gave the hand up there (on the turn). If you had two overcards you'd be more justified in betting the turn, but here you only have one.

ArturiusX
04-14-2005, 09:58 AM
Who else likes a flop check-raise? Checked through, no big deal, fold the turn UI.

Check-raise will see us get a free river card.

sin808
04-14-2005, 03:45 PM
Thanks for the replies. The turn bet was a bit iffy for me, had it not been HU I probably would have checked, but it was. I called the river raise and villain showed J9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif.

I've been having a bitch of a time of it lately with people check/calling all the way with tptk or better, or rivering bizarre hands. It's difficult for me to adjust to players that passive for some reason. Something to work on I guess.

kapw7
04-14-2005, 06:58 PM
Why do you think his play was very passive? Maybe a bit loose but not passive.

aK13
04-14-2005, 07:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Who else likes a flop check-raise? Checked through, no big deal, fold the turn UI.

[/ QUOTE ]

Free river card how?

Entity
04-14-2005, 07:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

FPS. Bet the (likely) best hand.

crownjules
04-14-2005, 08:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't like the turn bet. I feel like you are behind way too much here. I would check fold the turn. Perhaps this is too weak?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's HU and you have A high with a good kicker. Villain has to pair in order to beat you, and that's not very likely against a random hand. If you bet the flop on this line, you should continue to follow your line on the turn. Additionally, you may get him to fold.