PDA

View Full Version : Reasons to have children

Yobz
04-14-2005, 02:50 AM
So, I'm not looking to have children any time soon (Senior in college, going to get my masters). Thinking about it, I don't know why people have children at all...just a waste of time/money/etc. Besides the innate urge to breed, what reasons are there to have children?

I'm being serious...I'm thinking about never having children, been giving it some thought.

istewart
04-14-2005, 02:51 AM
You get to coach Little League.

bernie
04-14-2005, 02:51 AM
To blame a fart on.

b

Dynasty
04-14-2005, 02:53 AM
You get to experience unconditional love- at least for a few years.

Edge34
04-14-2005, 02:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ding ding. End of thread.

Of course, the OP thinks of it as a waste of time and money...so if that's the way the dude's thinking, maybe he's just not meant to have children.

Which is funny, because he was once a little tiny bundle of expenses and sleepless nights too... /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

istewart
04-14-2005, 02:57 AM
Chicks dig kids.

bernie
04-14-2005, 03:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You can do this with a pet dog.

b

bball233
04-14-2005, 03:01 AM
I wouldn't... -EV

bernie
04-14-2005, 03:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Chicks dig kids

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a good reason for you to be an Uncle, not a dad.

b

Ianco15
04-14-2005, 03:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
the innate urge to breed

[/ QUOTE ]

[censored]
04-14-2005, 03:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
To blame a fart on.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

b

[/ QUOTE ]

istewart
04-14-2005, 03:05 AM
Dogs are quite clearly +EV.

Yobz
04-14-2005, 03:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But they don't allow you to coach little league... Like you said, +EV... /images/graemlins/smile.gif

bernie
04-14-2005, 03:09 AM
You can blame that on a backfiring car outside too.

b

bernie
04-14-2005, 03:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Chicks dig dogs too. (in regards to another post somewhere in this thread)

b

Richie Rich
04-14-2005, 03:13 AM
Believe it or not, but I used to feel the same way about children -- probably even moreso -- than you. I thought they were okay sometimes, annoying more often, and just "not worth it" in today's expensive world. I practically avowed never to have children.

Now I'm 28, and my feelings have changed. Now I want to have children. All the lessons, and morales, and values about the world, I'd like to pass them on to another generation. After, or towards the end of your bachelor 20s, I am very confident that your views on life, and goals you plan to accomplish, will change. Some moreso more than others.

Yobz
04-14-2005, 03:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Believe it or not, but I used to feel the same way about children -- probably even moreso -- than you. I thought they were okay sometimes, annoying more often, and just "not worth it" in today's expensive world. I practically avowed never to have children.

Now I'm 28, and my feelings have changed. Now I want to have children. All the lessons, and morales, and values about the world, I'd like to pass them on to another generation. After, or towards the end of your bachelor 20s, I am very confident that your views on life, and goals you plan to accomplish, will change. Some moreso more than others.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny, thats pretty much what my mom told me when I told her my decision, after freaking out a little /images/graemlins/smile.gif

*shrug* I'll probably change my mind, I'm just wondering *why* people have children...passing on lessons about a cruel world seems paradoxical as you have to put someone into such a f.ed up place to give them lessons about it

FrankLu99
04-14-2005, 03:22 AM
Training your kids is fun
Train them to do the dishes
Train them to do the laundry
Train them to take out the trash
Train them to mow the lawn
Train them to fetch you beer
Train them to do your taxes
Train them to clean the house
Train them to play online poker.

Plus, you get to brag when your kid beat up an honor student.

If you dont want any kids, dont have any. make sure you talk it over with your significant other.

Ianco15
04-14-2005, 03:24 AM
You need to have kids so you can beat them. (http://maddox.xmission.com/beat.html)

Dantes
04-14-2005, 03:25 AM
I'm almost 30 and have been with my s/o for a long time, and neither of us want or are even close to wanting kids. I'm probably going to get cut this year.

istewart
04-14-2005, 03:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

-EV.

stankybank
04-14-2005, 03:26 AM
to carry on your family name?

Yobz
04-14-2005, 03:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why does that matter anyway? I have cousins, and does it really matter if someone has the same last name as me? So vague...

Ianco15
04-14-2005, 03:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why does that matter anyway? I have cousins, and does it really matter if someone has the same last name as me? So vague...

[/ QUOTE ]
I think it's more about spreading your seed that's important.

Chairman Wood
04-14-2005, 03:30 AM
Some people look at it as a way to achieve immortality. If you procreate you are assuring part of you will be forever on the earth. Well, as long as future generations aren't decide to have children.

bernie
04-14-2005, 03:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When he gets older you can put his WANTED poster on your fridge with pride.

b

bernie
04-14-2005, 03:47 AM
This only works 1/2 the time.

What if your name is Jones?

bernie
04-14-2005, 03:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you procreate you are assuring part of you will be forever on the earth. Well, as long as future generations aren't decide to have children

[/ QUOTE ]

You really think there's going to be danger or an epidemic of this any time soon?

b

Chairman Wood
04-14-2005, 03:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
ou really think there's going to be danger or an epidemic of this any time soon?

[/ QUOTE ]
No, I was just tying up loose ends of the point I was trying to make. I don't see an epidemic but I could see a threat to a single person's "immortality" if he/she has one child and the child then doesn't want to have children.

bernie
04-14-2005, 04:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
but I could see a threat to a single person's "immortality" if he/she has one child and the child then doesn't want to have children.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't that kind of a selfish reason to have a kid?

b

Chairman Wood
04-14-2005, 04:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

but I could see a threat to a single person's "immortality" if he/she has one child and the child then doesn't want to have children.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Isn't that kind of a selfish reason to have a kid?

b

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes

bernie
04-14-2005, 04:48 AM
I had to laugh when I saw your response. I don't often get that direct of an answer.

Usually when I ask that question I get a great drawn out backpeddling, defensive answer. Along with the berating of how I could even suggest it's selfish, blah blah.

b

jaxUp
04-14-2005, 04:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]

If you dont want any kids, dont have any. make sure you talk it over with your significant other.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would like to think she'd have something to do with it.

Chairman Wood
04-14-2005, 05:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I had to laugh when I saw your response. I don't often get that direct of an answer.

Usually when I ask that question I get a great drawn out backpeddling, defensive answer. Along with the berating of how I could even suggest it's selfish, blah blah.

b

[/ QUOTE ]
Well it's just that it's ....incredibly selfish. However big it may be, I do think that it plays a factor in some people's decision to have children. I do wonder if it is a factor in everyone at some kind of subconcious level. eh, what the hell do I know?

bernie
04-14-2005, 05:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I would like to think she'd have something to do with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not by the way the single mothers up here talk. It's all the guys fault.

b

bernie
04-14-2005, 05:09 AM
I was commending you on the str8 answer. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Well it's just that it's ....incredibly selfish. However big it may be, I do think that it plays a factor in some people's decision to have children.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right. Especially when adoption is available. Then having 'your own kid' it gets real selfish.

Not that there's really anything wrong with that.

b

Chairman Wood
04-14-2005, 05:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
was commending you on the str8 answer.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks, I got that, sorry if I came across as I didn't or even rude. Cheers!

Stu Pidasso
04-14-2005, 05:14 AM
I've always thought that it was through children we as leave a lasting mark on the world.

Stu

bernie
04-14-2005, 05:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks, I got that, sorry if I came across as I didn't or even rude. Cheers!

[/ QUOTE ]

You didn't. I just didn't expect you to elaborate.

Bottoms Up!

b

DBowling
04-14-2005, 05:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

my brother and myself are the only males alive that are capable of reproducing and passing on the family name. its not really a big deal to myself or my brother at the moment, but apparently its a big deal to lots of family members i have never met before.

touchfaith
04-14-2005, 05:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
So, I'm not looking to have children any time soon (Senior in college, going to get my masters). Thinking about it, I don't know why people have children at all...just a waste of time/money/etc. Besides the innate urge to breed, what reasons are there to have children?

I'm being serious...I'm thinking about never having children, been giving it some thought.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cheap Labor. You can train them to do things for you.

Also, once you get old, you can guilt them into taking care of you. If you think any of us are going to change your diapers, you are mistaken.

Tax write-offs. You can claim them as exemptions. I have recently considered locating some of my lost one-night-stand love-children for this very reason...but I only have a day left and haven't started. Ooops.

More junk food in the house! You will be able to justify buying all that really crappy stuff that everyone knows they want. Your kids will scream so loud in the grocery store that your shelfs will soon be filled with yummie sweets!

So yes! If all this (and much much more) is worth a mear...

$496,840 ( Kid Calculator (http://www.babycenter.com/costofchild/?_requestid=29264) )

...to you.

GO FOR IT!

bernie
04-14-2005, 05:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
So yes! If all this (and much much more) is worth a mear...

$496,840 ( Kid Calculator )

...to you.

GO FOR IT!

[/ QUOTE ]

That's IF you get them out of the house by the time they're 18. Seems kids are staying longer and longer nowadays.

Not to mention the possible medical crap that could occurr. (not everyone has insurance)

b

InchoateHand
04-14-2005, 09:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You can do this with a pet dog. b

[/ QUOTE ]

This is backwards. It's the having unconditional love for you children that's really wonderful.

ThisHo
04-14-2005, 09:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Quote:

[/ QUOTE ]

uh, no.

I've had dogs and cats and now I've got a 7month-old daughter... dogs/cats can not be compared to kids. There is nothing your dog/cat can do to give you the same warm/fuzzy you get when you walk into a room and your child looks up and smiles at you.

OH, and the the Tax write-off is pretty cool too!

ThisHo

Raiser
04-14-2005, 12:18 PM
I hate to get all mushy here, but kids are the best.

I used to feel the same way as OP, but when my daughter was born, I was changed forever. Now things that I thought were important before kids pale in comparison to what I currently view as important. Watching them grow and learn and laugh and love is so incredible that I can't possible put the experience into words. So I'll stop there.

That isn't to say that everyone should have kids. I honestly feel that a lot of people would be much happier without them. Not me though.

MaxPower
04-14-2005, 12:36 PM
The main reason a person should have kids is that they want kids. If they don't want kids, they shouldn't have them (Even if other people want them to have kids and will ostracize them and treat them as weirdos if they don't)

I'd like to be a father one day, but I'm okay if that doesn't happen.

WEASEL45
04-14-2005, 12:46 PM
tax deductions

usmfan
04-14-2005, 12:47 PM
Of course, don't forget that God wants (http://www.lightplanet.com/mormons/daily/sexuality/procreation_eom.htm) you to populate the world. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

VBM
04-14-2005, 01:08 PM
can't speak for anyone else, for me;

1. life gets sterile & a little lonely, even w/ a spouse. having a quiet, perfectly-kept great house filled w/ lots of nice stuff seems great on the surface, but it's not as idyllic as it sounds.

2. the "if i could do it over" thing. at least for me, i didn't have such a happy childhood, and i genuinely think it'd be lots of fun for me to share in happy one as a dad. share some private laughs & jokes w/ my kids, play games, celebrate in your kids' victories and be someone they can draw strength from when they need help.

3. kind of a corallary to #1, but it's sad to be an old man/woman w/ no family. my grandparents live in an old folks community and there was nothing sadder than some of the old people who had nobody to spend x-mas or thanksgiving with.

i'm going to have a kid in October, and even recently I was really like, conflicted about it, until this (http://www.menshealth.com/cda/article/0,2823,s1-5-64-0-1485-1-6-2,00.html) article got me thinking, fatherhood can be a really cool experience...

Bluffoon
04-14-2005, 01:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Cause kids are way cool.
Cause you can do kid stuff without it being wierd.
Cause there is nothing more rewarding than to see you kid happy.
Cause they imitate you.
Cause they love you.
Cause they do stupid stuff and make you laugh.
Cause you cant take it with you.

trevorwc
04-14-2005, 01:16 PM
My Mom is crushed because I've told her that I'm also pretty set against children. Many of my friends have kids, and I just know that it would drive me absolutely nuts and cost me a lot of money. No thanks.

Alobar
04-14-2005, 01:17 PM
"hey boy, go get daddy a beer"

fnord_too
04-14-2005, 01:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I love the idea of rasing and nuturing children. It's hard to describe the experience.

If you just need a return on investment reason, well, you'll probably want someone to take care of you and watch out for you in your old age.

Really, why does one form any relationship that is is not purely self serving? Why date and/or marry when you can pay for sex or masturbate? Why bother with real friends instead of tools you can exploit?

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that everyone should have kids. That is entirely a personal decision. Also, the idea of children gets a lot less scary as you establish yourself in life.

Kids, like a lot of things in life, is not just a monetary EV decision.

M2d
04-14-2005, 01:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Quote:

To blame a fart on.

b

Quote:

b

[/ QUOTE ]
dogs and backfiring cars can't pull your finger on command

M2d
04-14-2005, 01:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i'm going to have a kid in October, and even recently I was really like, conflicted about it, until this article got me thinking, fatherhood can be a really cool experience...

[/ QUOTE ]

I just had my first last week (well, my wife did), and you are one hundred percent right.

M2d
04-14-2005, 01:52 PM
I don't know you, but you're on OOT, so...
with all the crap you've probably pulled thus far in your short lifetime, how else are you going to stay in your parent's will?

InchoateHand
04-14-2005, 01:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I just had my first last week (well, my wife did), and you are one hundred percent right.

[/ QUOTE ]

Congrats! Awesome news. I hope baby and wife are both healthy and otherwise fine!

FishNChips
04-14-2005, 02:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Congrats! Don't give your wife all the credit.

The first 4 to 6 months are about survival... it gets REALLY fun after that (I've got a 7month old that had colick (sp?) - not fun, but now - oh man its incredible!).

Kids are +EV Emotionally, they are -EV financially, -EV sleep, -EV order, -EV clean house. But they are HUGELY +EV emotionally. You just can't understand it until your baby smiles at you. There just are not words! /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

FishNChips

DeezNuts
04-14-2005, 02:54 PM
Too many people have children that shouldn't. The number of children that are born due to negligence or selfish reasons by people that have no business raising children is easily over 50%.

I'm not advocating any types of restrictions, because that would be another problem layered on, but I think people need to examine their motives for creating a life that will have an impact in this world.

I'm not sure if I want children, but haven't told that to my mom, as I think she may keel over from heart failure on the spot(my sister has been married 4 years and is adamant about not having children).

DN

steeser
04-14-2005, 03:57 PM
I can't think of a good specific reason to do it, but now that I have my daughter, there is nothing in the world that could take her from me.

Sure, they are a ton of work, but it's really the best thing to ever happen to me.

InchoateHand
04-14-2005, 04:06 PM
Regardless of how you feel about your significant other, you'll never understand your own capacity for love until you have kids.

TimM
04-14-2005, 04:34 PM
Plus without children you can't have grandchildren someday.

tech
04-14-2005, 04:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Cause kids are way cool.
Cause you can do kid stuff without it being wierd.
Cause there is nothing more rewarding than to see your kid happy.
Cause they imitate you.
Cause they love you.
Cause they do stupid stuff and make you laugh.
Cause you cant take it with you.

[/ QUOTE ]

AlienCorpse
04-14-2005, 04:46 PM
Your suppose to have children because everyone in the world is retarded and your genes are the best , and if you want the world to be not retarded than you have to fuck fuck fuck.

EDIT: fuck censorship

TimM
04-14-2005, 05:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Moderator(s) notified In a moment you will be automatically returned to the forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="white">Just kidding I think the censor [censored] is stupid too, but you can get banned for bypassing it, so I don't anymore.</font>

AlienCorpse
04-14-2005, 07:52 PM
<font color="white"> Okay thanks for secretly telling me, I see alot of oots bypass it and thier still around, so I blame them.</font>

mcteecho
04-14-2005, 08:07 PM
You may never want kids. And if you don't want them, don't have them. But please don't do anything that will prevent you from having them, just because you don't think now that you'll want them - keep your options open.

I'm 40. Until 2 or 3 years ago, I didn't think I'd want kids. I now have a four month old daughter and it's the best thing ever. It's good for three reasons:
1. She's an extension/multiplication of my wife, who I love very much - so more of my wife, in the form of my daughter, is a good thing.
2 I love her desperately, and it's good to have things to love.
3. It will be cool to help another human grow up.

That's it for me, mushy as it is.