PDA

View Full Version : Paranoid snail mail question

Nate tha' Great
04-13-2005, 10:55 PM
Tomorrow, I'm going to send my tax return in, including a substantial five-figure check in to the IRS.

Is there any danger in sending a check for this amount of money through the regular mail?

thanks.

nolanfan34
04-13-2005, 10:57 PM
Just send it certified mail, with delivery confirmation, or whatever that option is.

Any reason that you didn't make the payment and file online?

Alobar
04-13-2005, 10:58 PM
Go drop it off at an actual post office and youll be fine.

Paluka
04-13-2005, 11:05 PM
Are you worried about someone stealing the check and showing up at the bank and claiming they are the United States Treasury and they would liek to cash this check?

nolanfan34
04-13-2005, 11:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Are you worried about someone stealing the check and showing up at the bank and claiming they are the United States Treasury and they would liek to cash this check?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd be worried about someone stealing a check with the numbers to an account I have five figures in.

Alobar
04-13-2005, 11:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Its called "ink washing"

Nate tha' Great
04-13-2005, 11:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Just send it certified mail, with delivery confirmation, or whatever that option is.

Any reason that you didn't make the payment and file online?

[/ QUOTE ]

Taking the advice of some offline and online friends, I went ahead and hired a proper tax attorney after a nightmare experience with H&R Block. My return is pretty messy this year, between self-employment and three or four sources of income.

Dead
04-13-2005, 11:39 PM
You shouldn't worry much about a large check going through the mail.

I'd worry about large sums of cash going through the mail, but not a check.

Paluka
04-13-2005, 11:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Its called "ink washing"

[/ QUOTE ]

The man plays online poker for large sums of money. there are plenty of scams to worry about more likely than "ink washing".

Dead
04-13-2005, 11:58 PM
Like collusion?

astroglide
04-14-2005, 12:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

that's part of the reason he probably posted this

Ulysses
04-14-2005, 02:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Its called "ink washing"

[/ QUOTE ]

The man plays online poker for large sums of money. there are plenty of scams to worry about more likely than "ink washing".

[/ QUOTE ]

He's a young guy who has probably never sent a check for a sum anywhere near this large. I think his question is perfectly reasonable.

Nate - I wouldn't worry about it at all.

beta1607
04-14-2005, 02:30 PM
Do not mail cash. Ever.

InchoateHand
04-14-2005, 02:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Do not mail cash. Ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

A check! He said he's mailing a check! Who the hell pays taxes with cash? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

lucas9000
04-14-2005, 02:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Do not mail cash. Ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

A check! He said he's mailing a check! Who the hell pays taxes with cash? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

randy moss...?

Sponger15SB
04-14-2005, 02:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Who the hell pays taxes? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP.

Cya guys in about 2-3....