PDA

View Full Version : JTs on button, pre-flop?

brettbrettr
04-13-2005, 10:21 PM
UTG is 45/4/.7 over 100 hands
UTG+1 is 59/0/0 over 30 hands.

Is this pre-flop raise for value? Is it to iso? It felt right at the time, but I wasn't so sure.

After the s-n-go, I was planning on folding u/i.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (7.33 SB) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (5.16 BB) J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG folds.

River: (7.16 BB) J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Final Pot: 11.16 BB

wrto4556
04-13-2005, 10:35 PM
I did some pokerstove stuff and it looks like you're winning this around 40% of the time. Raise looks good.

EDIT: I used any broadway, any pair, any two suited, any ace, and some random hands like J9o. Sound fair?

adamstewart
04-13-2005, 10:47 PM
Hmmm... regarding the preflop raise, I don't know. I think I'd want at least one other limper in there to raise this preflop.

The main problem I see with preflop raising here is that it kinda commits you to pot (at least for a bit). For intance, that's probably why you bet the flop here instead of taking the free card. HOWEVER, these two players are LOOSE (as per their stats) and they aren't likely to fold.

Further, your hand is very susceptible to overcards, and just because these gusy are loose doesn't mean they're not holding a A, K, or Q.

All in all, I don't think there's much difference in EV between limping and raising here.

Given that you raised preflop, I like the flop bet. There's the very slight chance you'll take the pot right there, but more importantly, it'll likely allow you take a valuable free turn card.

Turn call is standard with that many outs.

River is standard.

I think the real question here is whether or not you would call down if a blank fell on the river??

Adam

brettbrettr
04-13-2005, 10:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I think the real question here is whether or not you would call down if a blank fell on the river??

[/ QUOTE ]

I find myself clicking fold in the forums and call at the tables. This is bad.

adamstewart
04-13-2005, 10:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I find myself clicking fold in the forums and call at the tables. This is bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL...ain't it the truth sometimes. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Adam

brettbrettr
04-13-2005, 10:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The main problem I see with preflop raising here is that it kinda commits you to pot (at least for a bit). For intance, that's probably why you bet the flop here instead of taking the free card. HOWEVER, these two players are LOOSE (as per their stats) and they aren't likely to fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I limp and they check to me on the flop I'm betting. You're taking a card off?

Entity
04-13-2005, 11:05 PM
This whole hand looks standard to me.

adamstewart
04-13-2005, 11:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If I limp and they check to me on the flop I'm betting. You're taking a card off?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, no, here I'm betting as well. But in other situations you may feel obligated to bet when you really shouldn't, imo.

Adam