PDA

View Full Version : Call the river?

brettbrettr
04-13-2005, 10:18 PM
Villan in this hand is 30/3 over 30 hands. Not enough to make any sweeping judgements, but he seems pretty passive.
Do you make this river call?

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Button calls, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (4 SB) A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, Button folds, SB calls.

Turn: (3.50 BB) A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, SB folds.

River: (5.50 BB) T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 raises</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 9.50 BB

jason_t
04-13-2005, 10:25 PM
He can see the possibility trips so at best you have a split and are getting 4.25:1 on a call. But that card completed two draws and your hand is fairly obvious. You say it's possible that he's passive. I'm folding.

Pokey
04-13-2005, 11:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He can see the possibility trips so at best you have a split and are getting 4.25:1 on a call.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you're already in for one; you're getting 8.5:1 on the call. I chip in the last bet to see if he might have hit three 10s, Aces and Jacks, Aces and Tens, or some other fish hand.

Incidentally, if the river card scares the hell out of me, I think I check/call instead of come out betting. Knowing that you will see the showdown and that you don't like what you're seeing, it seems like a cheaper way to do things. Maybe that's missing a bet here and there, but in this situation you're either safely winning or totally boofed, and the other player knows which situation applies far better than you do.

Meh, either way. Bet/call the river, check/call the river. I'm not folding it, though.

CallMeIshmael
04-13-2005, 11:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He can see the possibility trips so at best you have a split and are getting 4.25:1 on a call.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you're already in for one; you're getting 8.5:1 on the call.

[/ QUOTE ]

What Jason means is that the best you can do is split with another A.

So, you are really only getting 1/2 of the odds the pot is offering you.

Pokey
04-13-2005, 11:47 PM
At a 3/6 PP table you give a SLPP/LPP credit for reading your ace and not putting you on a bluff? I just don't think that's a given. I do admit that passive raises scare the bejeezus out of me, though, and I can't honestly say I don't fold this same hand to a river raise.

CallMeIshmael
04-13-2005, 11:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
At a 3/6 PP table you give a SLPP/LPP credit for reading your ace and not putting you on a bluff?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. He was just saying that most of villians legitimate value raising hands that we dont lose to, we tie to.