PDA

View Full Version : The Gap Concept & Continuation Bets

athosandaramis
04-13-2005, 09:33 PM
I have been reading threads for about a week and am really getting a lot out of the expert analysis. Could somebody please explain what is meant by, "the gap concept" and the term "continuation bets." I have had difficulty figuring these terms out within the contexts of a lot of these posts. Appreciate any clear explanation. Thanks a million. /images/graemlins/spade.gif

-Skeme-
04-13-2005, 09:43 PM
Have you read any of Sklansky's books? If not, they're highly recommended.

The Gap Concept basically states that you need a better hand to call a raise with than to actually raise yourself. The difference between the hands is the gap, I believe. I'm not ultra keen on the subject.

Continuation bets are just that, continuation bets. After you've raised preflop and miss the flop, you bet again to feel around. Nobody can bet before you and you have to be the preflop raiser. The main goal is to take the pot down right there. Since you were the preflop aggressor, you might be able to get your opponent(s) to fold as they could've missed aswell.

athosandaramis
04-13-2005, 09:54 PM
Thank you. Very well said.

PoBoy321
04-13-2005, 09:54 PM
An exampled of the gap concept is:

You're dealt AJo on the button. Here, it is a good idea to raise because it is likely that you have the best hand, so it's a good idea to push your pre-flop edge. However, if it is raised in front of you, you should fold this because it is very likely that you are dominated. The same can apply post-flop with draws, 2nd pair, etc.

The continuation bet is when you raise pre-flop and then fire again on the flop to take it down. This is similar to the gap concept in that if you hold AK and the board comes low, it is likely that you have the best hand. However, if it is bet in front of you, it is an easy fold.

TrailofTears
04-13-2005, 10:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
However, if it is bet in front of you, it is an easy fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's not get too weak-tight here, but the explanations were well done by both of you.

PoBoy321
04-13-2005, 10:46 PM
OK, maybe saying that it's an easy fold is oversimplifying things. But let's say that it's applicable to most basic, ABS low stakes players.

Also, if you want to go back to the gap concept, if it is bet in fron of you, you can raise with AK, but you can't call.

How's that?

TrailofTears
04-13-2005, 10:48 PM
Very nice explanation, for a second time. I didn't mean to be nitpicking, but I did in fact think it was oversimplifying things. Great followup example though.

-Trail

Alex/Mugaaz
04-13-2005, 11:00 PM
The gap concept doesn't apply if the other players dont judge hand selection based on position.

The continuation bet doesn't apply if the other player has no, or extremely low chance of folding.

Concepts are great. But don't forget that the pre-requisites have to apply for them to exist.

-Skeme-
04-13-2005, 11:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Concepts are great. But don't forget that the pre-requisites have to apply for them to exist.

[/ QUOTE ]

nh