PDA

View Full Version : Jacks against an unknown 3 bet - is this butchered?

littlejohn
04-13-2005, 08:20 PM
Villian has been at this table for about 8 hands and this is the first hand he's played. I don't have any other hands on him.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif. CO posts a blind of $3.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (11.33 SB) K/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (8.66 BB) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 9.66 BB

brettbrettr
04-13-2005, 08:21 PM
nh.

Nick C
04-13-2005, 08:42 PM
Hands like this are difficult. You've got my second least favorite overcard on the flop versus a flop cold-caller and 3-bettor.

Sometimes I just lead, hoping that will be enough to scare MP2 out if he just has AQ-AJ or something, since Button is still to act behind him. But you can't count on a flop lead pushing Button off of QQ if he happens to have that. So the flop checkraise does increase the chance of winning the pot, as potentially Button will fold a better (or equal, though that's unlikely) hand, and you'll be facing MP2 with two cold.

Most of the time, though, I think that in this spot you're going to get played back at and end up concluding you're beat and drawing to 0-2 outs.

Still, the pot isn't empty, and I don't think you should simply give up on the flop. And when I do lead, the best that generally happens is that I just get called, and then when I lead the turn, I'm kind of expecting to get raised there.

Anyway, though, no, I don't think you butchered the hand.