PDA

View Full Version : Cheating Society?

sirio11
04-13-2005, 08:07 PM
This is an interesting article about cheating (http://my.webmd.com/content/article/92/101458) . Looks like cheating is on the raise; from taxes, class homeworks, journalists, sports to lying about Iraq; or at least most commonly accepted. Is there something that can be done or it's just the way things are?

04-13-2005, 08:45 PM
I don't think this is news. Durocher said 60 years ago, "nice guys finish last".

But you know, I don't mind finishing last, because I can sleep at night.

lehighguy
04-13-2005, 09:53 PM
When benefit of cheating > risk of getting caught cheating occurs. There is no morality in the equation.

bholdr
04-13-2005, 10:58 PM
that's probably an incredibly difficult thing to track, since the goal is to NOT get caught, we'll never know, beyond a very general estimate, how much cheating actually occurs.

I am most disturbed by cheating iat college campuses: downloading completed essays, etc. there is definitly a culture at most colleges that i am at all familiar with that accepts and encourages cheating. more and more, it seems, students are being graded on their homework and essays, etc, rather than in-class examinations. i always preferred classes where one's grade was based entirly on three or four tests, which i felt minimized the benifits that the cheaters were able to get from the internet, paying others to do their work, etc...

the sad thing is (well, not THAT sad) is that it's the cheaters that are screwing theselves: they are paying for an education and then trying hard not to get it! in the end, they'll end up with a piece of paper and little else.

People that cheat on their taxes also piss me off. esp those that make a lot of money. being (mostly) honest about my income, it annoys me that there are guys out there that make 10x what i do and, because they cheat, end up paying less. then again, there is no real need to cheat- one can just hire a skilled tax accountant and get the same benifits with little risk.

strangely, i am least concerned with cheating at poker, although the dikheads using bots and colluding on the internet REALLY get me mad.

zaxx19
04-14-2005, 02:27 AM
People cheat in school all the friggin time now and it pisses me off.

I went to school with a Pakastani kid and an Israeli kid who stole an ACT got caught, and then faced little to no consequences.

One went to the University of Michigan, the other entered a special program @ the University of Illinois for accelerated med school acceptance.

Until society gets serious about imposing some SERIOUS consequences for cheaters I suspect cheating will remain a fact of life.

ACPlayer
04-14-2005, 02:32 AM

whiskeytown
04-14-2005, 03:48 AM
let me guess....

they got in under an affirmative action program, and you're pissed, so now you level said accusations at them. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Just asking

RB

zaxx19
04-14-2005, 05:38 AM
Hmm, Im not really sure how an israeli or Pakistani would benefit from an affirmative action program that is geared to aid Blacks, Chicanos and women.....

Ill try to make some sense of your post...

You dont like my politics so you babble about nothing and somehow try to attack me for attacking individuals who cheated on an important entrance exam for university(something that seems pretty nnocuous on the surface).

Is that about right?

thatpfunk
04-14-2005, 07:16 AM
Hasn't every society been filled with cheaters, liars, etc?

zaxx19
04-14-2005, 07:43 AM
Hmm. hard to say...

Im sure every society has HAD cheaters/liars....but I dont know if the problem was endemic to the same degree it is here and now.

Seriously I had a harder time getting some grades adjusted after my HOUSE BURNED DOWN than some known cheaters who had been caught on my campus.

I think if a case of cheating @ University is found and proven the perpetrator should be expelled for the remainder of the semester and receive F's in his-her classes.

They might be able to be reinstated but their grades should remain as F's/.

As for the kid who went to the U of Michigan after being caught with a stolen ACT....

Well, U of M can make their own admissions choices....and they regularly make quite odd ones( An applicant was recently let into the law school with a 149 Lsat while others were left out with 170's...).

The reason I am focusing on schools is that young people learn their values largely through schooling. If cheating has no down side while in school how can we be shocked when the next batch of Ken Lays and Kozlowskis start fudging on balance sheets to serve their own purposes??