PDA

View Full Version : Is it wise to bluff AQs and AJs if you miss the flop?

KSOT
04-13-2005, 06:46 PM
I've only got about 6000 hands on pokertracker for .25/.50, but AQs, AJs and ATs lose more money for me than almost any other hand. I can't really figure out what I'm doing wrong, but I suspect it's not folding easily enough.

istewart
04-13-2005, 06:51 PM
Post a specific hand regarding this situation so we can help /images/graemlins/smile.gif

jaxUp
04-13-2005, 07:02 PM
it depends.

djg40
04-13-2005, 07:08 PM
KSOT? That you, Kirby? Interesting seeing you here...

As to your question, it depends on the situation, really.

btspider
04-13-2005, 07:09 PM
Villian is the same in both hands.. he's 95/28 PF and prone to the occasional bluff. obviously 6max is a different animal and HU is a different situation than when and when not to autobet the flop with a field.. but they might be interesting hands nonetheless.

Hand 1:
Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero checks.

Flop: (2.50 SB) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP calls.

Turn: (2.25 BB) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP calls.

River: (4.25 BB) K/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 6.25 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has Ac Th (high card, ace).
MP has 6c Jc (high card, king).
Outcome: Hero wins 6.25 BB. </font>

-------------------------------

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 4 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (6 SB) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls, BB folds.

Turn: (4 BB) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

River: (4 BB) J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 6 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has Ac Th (three of a kind, jacks).
Button has Kc 6h. (high card, king)
SB has Kc 6h (three of a kind, jacks).
Outcome: Hero wins 6 BB. </font>

jaxUp
04-13-2005, 07:13 PM
Hand 1 is fine. I hate doing this OOP, but it's clearly the right play against this dude
Hand 2 is sexy

dr. klopek
04-13-2005, 07:15 PM
I tend to check/call when-
I act early against many opponents
the board is draw heavy

I bet when-
I think it will narrow the field
it can earn me a free card
I think I can take it down right there (which is a possibility, but I rarely bet A high on the flop for this reason).

The flop texture and reads are really important, I agree you should post a hand.

TomBrooks
04-13-2005, 07:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
....25/.50
AQs, AJs and ATs lose more money for me than almost any other hand.
I suspect it's not folding easily enough.

[/ QUOTE ]
I suspect your correct.

Bluff when you think it will work at least the percentage of the time that equals the percentage of your bet to the pot. i.e. If pot is 5BB, a bet costs 1/5 or 20% of the pot, so if the bluff works more than 20% of the time, you will make money. If it works less than this percentage, you will lose money.

Bluffs work best vs. 1 opponent.
Harder to bluff 2 opponents.
Rarely can you bluff 3 opponents.

Bluffs work best when:
You have been showing strength all along.
A scare card comes.
Your opponents are tight. (Can't get a calling station to fold. Take their money when you have the best hand, not when your bluffing.)

Make sure you know when to bluff and then proceed with calmness, confidence and a feeling of strength. Puff out your chest a little. Hold your head up and look squarely into the monitor. Don't overact or be melodramatic. Your demeanor will affect the timing, speed, and pressure of the way you click your mouse. Your opponents will sense your confidence and be more likely to fold. Know in your heart and mind that you are doing the right thing and don't be afraid. If your opponents sense fear they will call you.