PDA

View Full Version : Is this a bad play?

David04
04-13-2005, 06:24 PM
Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Button (t1470)
SB (t1365)
Hero (t1375)
UTG (t6845)
MP (t2315)
CO (t1630)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to t400</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t900</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to t1400</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero calls all-in</font>.

Flop: (t3400) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Turn: (t3400) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (t3400) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: t3400

The whole table has been trading blinds for the last 20 minutes or so. I lost about half my stack when my AK lost to A7(all-in preflop. King flopped, runner runner for straight.) I was trying to build my stack like before, stealing blinds. Everyone at the table was stealing blinds, and I definitely felt like this was a steal attempt.

Is my re-raise PF terrible? I was pretty sure he was trying to steal the blinds, and I was hoping that I could pick up the pot with my re-raise. When he put me all-in, I was getting good odds to call, and I was most likely a small dog.

It was brilliant, in my opinion. But in reality, was it very bad, not too bad, or a good play?

RobGW
04-13-2005, 06:39 PM
If your definition of brilliant means very bad play then you are correct sir. When someone commits 1/4 of their stack PF they are usually not going to fold to a reraise even if they were stealing. And your 64 doesn't hold up well against any hand even if he is stealing. And if he happens to have a good hand then your move stinks. Sorry your AK lost to a dominated hand but it happens to everyone someitmes. You can't be the poker police when you have so few chips. I don't mean to be harsh but this is not a brilliant play.

Benholio
04-13-2005, 06:43 PM
I vote for very bad, no offense.

Give up your blind. You can't push back with this bad of a hand. Even if you just pushed instead of making the small raise (bad), your opponent is getting like 5:3 pot odds to call. He isn't going to fold.

Patrick Duffy
04-13-2005, 06:48 PM
im assuming by your language and that fact that you think it was brilliant that the guy turned AQ or something like that and didnt pair up. dont be so results oriented, even if you won the hand doesnt mean it was a good play. im just afraid you might fall in love with making raises over suspected blind steals, and more often than not, if you make this kind of move with this kind of hand, you will not feel brilliant afterward.

applejuicekid
04-13-2005, 07:11 PM
I like the play, and I'm suprised everyone says it was bad play. I would have moved all in here if I was going to resteal. I think the CO is going to fold enough times to justify this play. You put him on a steal, and acted accordingly how can this be bad play?

One question though, why the raise to 900 and not all in?

I vote for good play.

valenzuela
04-13-2005, 07:57 PM
yes.

applejuicekid
04-13-2005, 08:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
And your 64 doesn't hold up well against any hand even if he is stealing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously, he's hoping that the the stealer will fold.

[ QUOTE ]
And if he happens to have a good hand then your move stinks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure the OP took this into account. Of course the stealer may happen to have a good hand, but the range of hands that will raise here as a steal includes a lot of hands that will fold to a resteal. If the stealer happens to have a real hand, then the OP just got unlucky to run into it.

The OP needs chips badly. There is already 700 chips in the pot I think it is worthwhile to go after them. He can't just fold his way into the money. Eventually he will need to steal some chips without a hand. After he posts the SB he will have lost 1/4 of his stack, now seems like a good time to make a move.

Or maybe I'm just bias because the OP is a fellow Big L fan from Cincinnati.

robertsonjohn
04-13-2005, 08:35 PM
I think it was a bad play too, but if you feel certain he's stealing, and you want to play back at him, why wouldn't you just go all in to begin with? If you're willing to play for all your chips if he plays back at you, you should get them in first so at the very least you have a chance at getting him to fold - unless your read is so specific that you can put him on a hand that 64o dominates.

valenzuela
04-13-2005, 08:47 PM
64o dominates absolutely nothing. nothing. nothing.

David04
04-13-2005, 09:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
64o dominates absolutely nothing. nothing. nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, it does, but I don't believe that is relevant here.

Looking back, I should have pushed instead of the re-raise. If he calls, I am pot comitted and pushing just about any flop. If he puts me all-in, I am calling. So, I should just push and hope those few extra chips make him decide to fold.

By the way, the "Brilliant, in my opinion" was a joke, something from a crappy myspace poker forum. I really didn't think the play was brilliant. In fact, I lost the hand. Villain showed QcTc and I lost to a straight.

I usually do not re-raise when I suspect a steal, but I do it every once in a while if I feel like somebody is stealing every blind.

valenzuela
04-13-2005, 09:55 PM
lets see what our ol good poker odds calculator thinks about the suject:
64o vs 42o: 64% to 36%( thats pot equity, it means that u will recover 64% of ur bet on avg.)

Degen
04-13-2005, 10:08 PM
if you wanna play back at him, push it PF

Degen