PDA

View Full Version : Have you had a barbershop shave?

twang
04-13-2005, 06:20 PM
Have you ever had a shave in an old school barbershop? You know, an elderly gentleman barber using one of those dangerous looking old time razors while making polite conversation.

Does it feel good? Much better than shaving at home? Were you ever afraid that he would slit your throat?

/twang

istewart
04-13-2005, 06:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Does it feel good? Much better than shaving at home? Were you ever afraid that he would slit your throat?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes
Yes
Yes

Dynasty
04-13-2005, 06:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Have you ever had a shave in an old school barbershop? ...using one of those dangerous looking old time razors?

[/ QUOTE ]

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v720/DynastyPoker/no.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Were you ever afraid that he would slit your throat?

[/ QUOTE ]

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v720/DynastyPoker/yes.gif

Mayhap
04-13-2005, 06:35 PM
Some years ago I worked in the financial district in Boston. There was a barber shop on State street with three Italian guys who were older than Julius Caesar. Two cut hair and one shined shoes. The best of the two barbers was blind in one eye. All the high rollers got their hair cut there.

Even if you didn't order a shave, you were going to meet the straight razor for your neck and sideburn trim. Before that happened, you had to have a hot towel that came out of a steam machine. Basically, your head got wrapped in the towel for a minute or so. So fricken relaxing! Then they had the old lather machine and the lather was warm too.

Boston was a great place to work. Drinks with friends all the time and plentiful eye candy all summer. When I stopped working there, I think I missed the old paisans on State street the most.

/M

CrazyN8
04-13-2005, 07:47 PM
I was thinking about that the other day - like yesterday. I wonder what it is like? I need to try that. Should be like a rite of passage for every man.

twang
04-13-2005, 08:03 PM
Sounds great. Now I have two things on my gotta-try list: 1. barbershop shave 2. red beer

(BTW, I think OOT should have a subsection entirely about shaving.)

/twang

blatz
04-13-2005, 08:07 PM
I couldn't think of anything better to do one day than to blow 30 bucks on a shave, and I'd heard of this 'men's salon' in town with an antique towel warmer, that used seven towels of increasing temperatues and the finest shaving cream known to man. Since I'm normally a dull bladed, missed that spot kind of doofus, I figured to give it a shot.

All was going swimmingly, it really was a pleasant, if a slightly stupid 25 minutes, but I've spent much stupider. So I'm all lathered up, and excited for the straight razor, and the schmuck pulls out a frickin' modern fancy 3 blade razor...

I said, "your kidding me, grow a pair of stones, and get me a hundred year old straight razor" I razzed him and called him a sissy, and he explained that their clientele likes modern crud.

Moral (as if ineeded this taught): 'Men's salons' with 'clientelle' lick balls.

gonores
04-13-2005, 08:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
and the schmuck pulls out a frickin' modern fancy 3 blade razor

[/ QUOTE ]

This is quite possibly the most important thing I've read on 2+2 in months. I will make extra certain my first barbershop shave does not include one of these modern-day monstosities. My condolences.

gamblore99
04-13-2005, 08:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
and the schmuck pulls out a frickin' modern fancy 3 blade razor

[/ QUOTE ]

This is quite possibly the most important thing I've read on 2+2 in months. I will make extra certain my first barbershop shave does not include one of these modern-day monstosities. My condolences.

[/ QUOTE ]

ya. I really wanna get one to, now I know to look out for that. thanks.

chabibi
04-13-2005, 09:05 PM
all the time

it is amazing, first they wrap your face in hot towel and leave it for a minute then they lather you up with hot shaving cream, then they shave you.

it is the most relaxing thing ever i suggest you give it a try

GuyOnTilt
04-13-2005, 09:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, yes, no.

GoT

sfer
04-13-2005, 11:44 PM
Generally, a good shave from a straight razor in the hands of an experienced barber is a great experience.

dabluebery
04-13-2005, 11:49 PM
Yeah, do this. Great experience. Great way to spend $10 (or whatever) You should have absolutely no regrets about this, you'll wonder what you've been missing out on.

Last time I did this was the morning I got married.

stanky
04-13-2005, 11:55 PM
I've never had the full shave but there's one barber around where I work that does the back of your neck with the straight razor and warm shaving cream. It's pretty sweet.

-Pete

woodguy
04-14-2005, 12:37 AM
Carlitos in Vancouver is exactly the same.

Carlito even take out the giant hand vibrator (insert joke here) and gives you a neck massage.

You get a great haircut, straight-razor trim, hot towel and neck massage all for $15 Canadian.

Best hair cut in Western Canada.

Carlitos on Dunbar and about 19th (I think)

Regards,
Woodguy

AncientPC
04-14-2005, 01:28 AM
Yes
Yes
Yes
No

I used to get my hair cut at a barber shop as well. Too bad I moved pretty far away . . .

Phat Mack
04-14-2005, 01:38 AM
I've never had a decent shave with a straight razor. It's a nice ceremony, though.

InchoateHand
04-14-2005, 08:57 AM
I've always wanted to do this. The barbershop where I go still does the thing where they kinda shave around the edges with a straight razor after the haircut. That's tits.