PDA

View Full Version : flop overbet

fathertime
04-13-2005, 05:53 PM
25 NL
6 max

Villain MP2 (60); 70/30
Hero BB (42)

Villain limps; CO calls; I check in BB KdJc.

flop ksjs4s

I bet dollar; Villain raises to 10; CO folds

Villain, maniacal but with some sense to his madness, could have anything from a monster to a draw to a bluff.

I didn't think folding an option here--villain's range of hands is too broad. And so should I call and bet hard any non-spade turn. Or should I raise him all in on the flop?

poboy
04-13-2005, 05:58 PM
Why isn't folding an option? This is a relatively small pot and you don't have a hand that is even close to the nuts. If he has what he's representing you are drawing to 6 outs. I guess it would come down to how often you think this is a bluff. JMO

kurto
04-13-2005, 06:13 PM
I agree with poboy. I think you have a better chance of whopping him them on a monotone board of which, you have none of the suit.

"Villain, maniacal but with some sense to his madness," I find that contradictory! /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Richie Rich
04-13-2005, 06:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
And so should I call and bet hard any non-spade turn. Or should I raise him all in on the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]
If "bet hard" is the equivalent of pushing all-in if a non-spade falls on the turn, then your first choice is by far the best move to make.

fathertime
04-14-2005, 12:52 AM
Well, I think mainly that he is representing a draw--though there is the possibility that he has a monster. And he could also be bluffing. If he has the flush, I don't think he would have bet that much--though, again, it is a possibility.

The pot is about 25% of my stack and so it is a good one and one I'd like to win. If the overbet is to be read as a draw then I'm a nice favorite.

If you decide that a draw is the most likely hand he has on the flop, what do you do? Call or raise?

fathertime
04-14-2005, 12:59 AM
He is one of those party players who is very aggressive but not a total buffoon. For all I know he may be a consistently winning player. He pushes hands to get folks to fold only their best hands. He forces folks to make mistakes. But at the same time he makes a lot of mistakes himself. I doubled through him when my two pair beat his tpbk. I can't remember if he left the table up or down. But I do remember admiring how he was able to push hands to get folks to do what he wanted. Hence the maniacal but with a sense to his madness.

Leo Bello
04-14-2005, 01:06 AM
One better approach was not to bet 1 dollar yourself. U betted pot. Two options overbet as a blocking bet, or simply call.
It is a continuous approach. Your bet represents I donīt have the flush... and if he had a check would be something he wouldnīt like to see.

fathertime
04-14-2005, 01:20 AM
I would bet a buck on the flop if I had a flush. I fast play most of my hands.

I'm not arguing against you, just trying to understand why you read my 1 flop bet as not representative of a flush.

I like the overbet suggestion--though it is not something that I do on the flop. I will, however, overbet the river enough to make it integral to my game.

If I did overbet--say 2 or 3--what would you read that as?

fathertime
04-14-2005, 11:53 PM
I reraised villain all in. He had qs and some small offsuit card. Of course he hit a spade on the turn to bust me. But I got him back later.

Still unsure what the best play on the flop is--if I'm pretty certain that he is on a draw. I'm leaning toward a push on the flop only because if no spade hits on the turn I'm not sure whether I'd get any more out of him.

TrailofTears
04-14-2005, 11:57 PM
If you are pretty sure he is on the draw, then a push is fine. You should be happy taking the pot right there and it will certainly give the villain poor odds.

-Trail