PDA

View Full Version : I'm about to order some Chinese food and sushi. Help me pick.

uw_madtown
04-13-2005, 05:48 PM
I've never had sushi before so I especially need help picking that. About to sit down and write a CD review, followed by a 10ish page paper, so I need something good...

Voltron87
04-13-2005, 05:50 PM
Chow fun with beef in black bean sauce. So good. If you want an appetizer go for cold sesame noodles.

Benal
04-13-2005, 05:52 PM
I wouldnt get anything from that list.

Get Kung Pao Chicken if they have it, extra spicy.

istewart
04-13-2005, 05:53 PM
Pork Lo Mein.

Grisgra
04-13-2005, 05:53 PM
Re Sushi, no great choices there -- go with Spicy Salmon (esp. if they do it with mayo), or King Crab maki (w/just the crab).

Re the General Gau/Tsau/whatever, make sure to ask them how spicy it is, a lot of places pussy out and you get deep fried blandness.

steaknshake925
04-13-2005, 05:58 PM
you bastard, you made me want sushi now.

anyway, try some pure salmon roe sushi, those are really good.

mongolian beef can be really really good but it depends alot on the place, some make it great and some make it not so good.

bholdr
04-13-2005, 06:03 PM
dude, get the unagi- BBQ freshwater eel- it's an extremely buttery and rich meat, melts in your mouth, no fishy flavor.... mmmmm.... eel....

offTopic
04-13-2005, 06:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've never had sushi before so I especially need help picking that.

[/ QUOTE ]

You won't have after selecting from that list, either, so go crazy! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

BellyBuster7
04-13-2005, 06:05 PM
If you've never had sushi before, I'd recommend the California roll. It's a good place to start.

If you never want to eat sushi again, try Sea Urchin sometime.

uw_madtown
04-13-2005, 06:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You won't have after selecting from that list, either, so go crazy! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Please no condescending "THAT'S NOT REAL SUSHI!!!11`1!!oneone" posts. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

C'mon, I'm in frigging Wisconsin. I'll settle for something that vaguely resembles sushi (in the same way that these chinese places vaguely resemble real chinese food).

offTopic
04-13-2005, 06:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Please no condescending "THAT'S NOT REAL SUSHI!!!11`1!!oneone" posts. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

C'mon, I'm in frigging Wisconsin. I'll settle for something that vaguely resembles sushi (in the same way that these chinese places vaguely resemble real chinese food).

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey! I put the smiley at the end!

Personally, I love sushi, and I love avocados, but I don't think the two should ever be combined, so I'd go with the salmon skin or the crab tempura solely based on the absence of avocado.

Also, if it's fake crabmeat, stick with the salmon skin...if it's not real salmon skin, I stand by my earlier assertion. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

uw_madtown
04-13-2005, 06:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hey! I put the smiley at the end!

Personally, I love sushi, and I love avocados, but I don't think the two should ever be combined, so I'd go with the salmon skin or the crab tempura solely based on the absence of avocado.

Also, if it's fake crabmeat, stick with the salmon skin...if it's not real salmon skin, I stand by my earlier assertion. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hehe, no worries. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

I'm just mad that the chinese food near campus is so mediocre (I assume the sushi is as well). But hey, better than my tiny hometown where your eating options are between 2 diners, McDonalds, and Subway...

Anyway, I went with the salmon skin roll and the crab tempura roll, plus a General Tso's extra spicy and a Sesame Chicken. I'll probably save the Sesame chicken and half the Tso's for later in the night/morning.

Duke
04-13-2005, 06:29 PM
The Sushi choices kinda suck. Not that it's not "real" sushi (though it's not even raw fish), it's just that there's not enough fish and too much unnecessary junk there to get any sense at all of the cuisine.

Seriously, I'd suggest getting one order of tuna sushi, an order of salmon sushi (a lot of people like it but I think it sucks), one order of octopus sushi (so you get something exotic), and an order of either anago or unagi (one of the eels). This last will be cooked, but I have neer met anyone who doesn't like it.

This is if you want to try sushi. Stay away from roe unless you have a hankering for balls in your mouth, and mackerel if you want to avoid a very fishy taste.

I do believe that anything with cream cheese or mayo in it isn't just "not sushi," it's a horrible idea all around.

Aside from the eel (which will have its own sauce on it), I suggest making a nice mix of wasabi (the green stuff) with soy sauce to dip the other fish in. It'll be rather spicy in a "make your head itch" way, but it'll counteract any sort of bad taste that the fish could acquire in transit (you're ordering sushi, yes?).

~D

Luzion
04-13-2005, 07:38 PM
Well, technically sushi doesnt have to have raw fish in it to be considered sushi. Something like nigiri tamago would still be considered sushi, because sushi just refers to something u combine with the vinegered rice.

Shilly
04-13-2005, 07:42 PM
Where are you ordering from?

I had General Tso's from Oriental Wok last night; it's solidly mediocre, but much better than A8 China.

handsome
04-13-2005, 07:42 PM
I'm not a big fan of sushi but I have tried your sushi options and they're all great, except for the cream cheese one. Even better are dragon rolls (red and green). Get a Red Dragon roll if available. It is heaven.

uw_madtown
04-13-2005, 07:45 PM
Thanks Duke (and others). I'll definitely keep advice in mind next time I get sushi, if I can find a nicer place in town to order from.

Initial reactions... the salmon skin rolls were pretty decent. The crab tempura is pretty bleh. I'm not a big fan of either though -- I can't imagine getting a craving for this, but I'm not going to write off sushi just yet. My expectations varied from "I'll looooove this" to "I'll want to vomit" so it's nice that I at least found both of them tolerable, although nothing amazing.

Boris
04-13-2005, 07:45 PM
You forgot the duck.

uw_madtown
04-13-2005, 07:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Where are you ordering from?

I had General Tso's from Oriental Wok last night; it's solidly mediocre, but much better than A8 China.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oriental Wok here. A8 used to be REAL good my freshman year (all of 3 years ago) but got really bleh since. Switched to Oriental Wok and never looked back, although it's, as you said, solidly mediocre. But I tip fairly well and get the same delivery guy each time, so tend to get taken care of nicely (quick delivery, extra eggrolls or soda).

There's two real excellent Chinese places I've been to in town. Peking Palace (out on University, by Hilldale Mall) has a good all you can eat buffet and the BEST General Tso's I've had out of the 8 or 9 places I've tried it. Imperial Palace is a farther out on University, and is more of a formal, sit-down, fine dining experience. Food's good though.