PDA

View Full Version : Shorthanded play

slugheads
04-13-2005, 03:58 PM
is TPTK in shorthanded play basically the nuts on the flop? Should you go all in on the flop with this if you can?

I know this play is stupid in a full ring game, but in a shorthaned ring game, isn't TPTK good enough to double up with ?

steaknshake925
04-13-2005, 04:42 PM
depends on the texture of the board and how ur opponents play and stack sizes and how short the games is.

Richie Rich
04-13-2005, 04:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
is TPTK in shorthanded play basically the nuts on the flop? Should you go all in on the flop with this if you can?

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you asking if Q-9 is "pretty much the nuts" on a 6-7-9 flop? Or if A-x is "most likely the best hand" on a flop of A-J-T? "No" and "no". Two VERY important factors you need to consider are: (1) how many players are in the hand, and (2) your position & image at the table.

[ QUOTE ]
I know this play is stupid in a full ring game, but in a shorthaned ring game, isn't TPTK good enough to double up with?

[/ QUOTE ]
The first part of your sentence is correct. And the second part is true sometimes, but not always.

Since short-handed play is typically more aggressive than full ring play, more players are willing to push on draws and top pair-good kicker hands. But you can't always do that and expect to be a winner in the end.

You need to make those moves at the right times. For example, someone would be more likely to call your top pair-top kicker-push if they recently took a bad beat. Or if you keep raising a player in position, he might think you're making another "bully move" and call with a lesser hand. Making good reads is much more essential in short-handed play. But if you routinely push single pair hands, you'll end up losing more than you'll win. At any table.

gulebjorn
04-13-2005, 05:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Heads up, you might consider that. At a 6-max table, i don't think so. Who is going to call you? A hand that has you beat. Who is gonna fold? All hands that you have beat. If i hit TPTK on the flop, i consider drawing possibilities on the board (and situation dependent), and if there are any, i'll bet enough to give my opponent bad odds to call. If there are no likely draws, i'll just bet for value.

TrailofTears
04-13-2005, 05:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are you asking if Q-9 is "pretty much the nuts" on a 6-7-9 flop? Or if A-x is "most likely the best hand" on a flop of A-J-T? "No" and "no". Two VERY important factors you need to consider are: (1) how many players are in the hand, and (2) your position & image at the table.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since when does TPTK mean either of these things?

Richie Rich
04-13-2005, 06:19 PM
Oops. I was going to illustrate with A-9, but for some reason went off on a tangent with 2 unrelated examples...

twankerr
04-13-2005, 06:36 PM
Pushing TPTK gets you hurt. The reason is that no one calls with worse and everyone calls with better. Happy hunting

BobboFitos
04-13-2005, 10:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
is TPTK in shorthanded play basically the nuts on the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, it's never the nuts, so it's not "basically" the nuts either. Thatsaid, (for example last night) shorthanded + 50xbb + very aggressive image = Im not folding.
[ QUOTE ]

Should you go all in on the flop with this if you can?

[/ QUOTE ]

all depends on the board, man! [ QUOTE ]

I know this play is stupid in a full ring game, but in a shorthaned ring game, isn't TPTK good enough to double up with ?

[/ QUOTE ]
Sure, depends.