PDA

View Full Version : Omaha/8 Conflict at Showdown ?

sourcerer
04-13-2005, 03:45 PM
Okay...this is definitely a n00b question, but I haven't been able to find it in my (admittedly small) library, nor in online resources.

Suppose there is a showdown...

Player A: 2c 3c 8s 9s
Player B: Ah 3d 5h 6h
Player C: 7s 9d Th Kh

Community cards: 4d 5s 8h Jh Qh

Now I see (and I hope I look good) the following:
If player B's Ah is used in his high hand he has a flush beating Player C's flush, while Player A's low beats B's Low, so B wins high, A wins low.
If however player Player B's Ah is used for his low hand, Player C wins high, B wins low.
So B always wins, but A and C are at the mercy of which hand the Ah is delegated to?

Or is there some rule that first the highest possible high hand is constructed and then the highest possible low hand? That too wouldn't be fair, as a nut-low Ace could be delegated to a non nut flush that way?

Am I overlooking something here?
I hope not a mistake in my sample...I am pretty sure the situation can arise, even if my sample is faulty.

I don't think I'll sleep before I understand this part of Omaha/8....save me!

Please?

Kaj :o)

toots
04-13-2005, 03:56 PM
Player B scoops?

You can use the A on both the high and low hand.

sourcerer
04-13-2005, 03:58 PM
..or can the same Ah be used in the high and low hand at the same time?
That would at least solve my problem.

That's just not clear in any description I run into: 'two hole cards must be used for the high hand, and two for the low'. Doesn't state clearly whether those can be the same or not.

Confused Kaj

sourcerer
04-13-2005, 03:59 PM
Ah, was typing at the same time /images/graemlins/blush.gif)

Thanks heaps, at least now I know!

Kaj

Ironman
04-13-2005, 04:00 PM
You're making more out of this than there is. Think of it as two seperate situations:

Low
best 3 cards from the board ( 4 5 8 )

best two cards from the opponents ( A 3 )

Player B wins low

Best high cards from the board ( 8 J Q all hearts)

Best high cards ( A 6 hearts)

Player B wins high and scoops the pot.

Good luck

Beavis68
04-13-2005, 07:13 PM
yep.

bodie
04-13-2005, 07:37 PM
In answer to your question, since others have already well explained how that hand would turn out:

Yes, you can use more than two cards from your hand for the high and the low you make with the board. And/or you can use the same card for both the high and the low.
In your example, the Ah would count as part of the nut flush and also the low, therefore enabling Player B to scoop the pot.
When you are looking at your four cards, you have to consider all four of them, how they mesh together, what possibilities you have for both high and low with those cards.
If your cards were: Ah, 2c, Ks, Kc
and the final board was:
3c, 4h, 3h, Ks, 6h

You would win the low with your Ah, 2c as the nut low and you would win the high with Kings full of 3's, thereby using all four cards in your hand, but for two separate hands. You just must use at least two and only two cards from your hand to make a five card hand with the board. And you must use three cards from the board as well.

Good luck, it's a great game.