PDA

View Full Version : Need help on easement question

ripdog
04-13-2005, 02:13 PM
My neighbor is subdividing his lot and has run into a snag that affects (or maybe doesn't) my property. I live on a private street and there is a condominium that owns the first section of that street. I own the second section and recorded an easement to allow access for two homes behind me, but according to my subdividing friend, an access easment was never recorded for the first section, and he says that his title company won't issue a title on his new lot without it. He also says that we will be hearing from our title company in 3 to 6 months and can either deal with it now or deal with it later. I've looked on the county web-site and haven't been able to find any access easements linked to the parcels in the area.

So should I worry about it, or should I tell the subdivider that he's on his own? He seems like a slick and untrustworthy fellow to me, so I won't be rushing any decision because he is on a timeline. OTOH, if he is actually being straight with me, I want to jump on and save the hassle of doing it alone in 6 months. He claims to have hired a land use law attorney who will deal with the condominium mess. He also claims that the builder of our home gave up on getting the easement because the owners of the condo would never get back to him, and that the situation fell through the cracks and the title got issued anyway.

What problems could I run into because of this? Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

ripdog
04-13-2005, 05:49 PM
My neighbor is subdividing his lot and has run into a snag that affects (or maybe doesn't) my property. I live on a private street and there is a condominium that owns the first section of that street. I own the second section and recorded an easement to allow access for two homes behind me, but according to my subdividing friend, an access easment was never recorded for the first section, and he says that his title company won't issue a title on his new lot without it. He also says that we will be hearing from our title company in 3 to 6 months and can either deal with it now or deal with it later. I've looked on the county web-site and haven't been able to find any access easements linked to the parcels in the area.

So should I worry about it, or should I tell the subdivider that he's on his own? He seems like a slick and untrustworthy fellow to me, so I won't be rushing any decision because he is on a timeline. OTOH, if he is actually being straight with me, I want to jump on and save the hassle of doing it alone in 6 months. He claims to have hired a land use law attorney who will deal with the condominium mess. He also claims that the builder of our home gave up on getting the easement because the owners of the condo would never get back to him, and that the situation fell through the cracks and the title got issued anyway.

What problems could I run into because of this? Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

daryn
04-13-2005, 05:53 PM