PDA

View Full Version : hypothetical AKo situation, very early in the game, vs big raise/calls

hypermegachi
04-13-2005, 01:40 PM
you hold AKo on the button, and the blinds are low, 10/20.
someone early open-raises for 150 chips.
3 callers after, and it is your turn to act.

what do you do?

i choose fold.

from what i understand, these are the reasons for each of raise/call/fold.

raising:
- lets you know where you are in the hand
- but still, you're pushing real thin odds here, after all you still need to hit a ace or king
- that A or K will miss the flop 2/3 of the time, and you will have wasted a lot of chips if they don't fold do your flop follow up

calling:
- you lose all control of the hand
- you have some good odds to call
- you have position, so you can still see how everyone reacts

folding:
- it's still early, and you don't need to gamble
- against a EP raiser, you will dominate them 1/3 of the time, coinflip another 1/3, or be badly dominated 1/3
- against 3 callers like that, likely to have some pocket pairs, suited connectors, possibly suited aces or kings.
- you lose nothing

------------------------

my main argument for folding is because AK is crap if it doesn't hit. against 4 other players, even if they check to you, you can't feel good betting into them on a raggy flop. it is still very early in the game, and you don't need to accumulate chips by gambling.

against 3 callers, i think your reverse implied odds are huge here. you stand to gain little, but lose a lot.

thoughts?

Scuba Chuck
04-13-2005, 01:47 PM
I think this depends on what level you're playing. If you're playing in the $10+1s, a call is probably better/smarter than a $55.