PDA

View Full Version : KKK?

trippin bily
04-13-2005, 12:46 PM
I have heard some of the right wing talk show hosts call Sen. Byrd Dem. West Virginia "KKK Byrd ".
1. Is it true he was in KKK ?
2. Could the Republicans have a former KKK member in the Senate?
3. Is this hypocracy?

jaxmike
04-13-2005, 01:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have heard some of the right wing talk show hosts call Sen. Byrd Dem. West Virginia "KKK Byrd ".

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure they COULD, but I don't think they do.

[ QUOTE ]

3. Is this hypocracy?

[/ QUOTE ]

Is Byrd? Yes, of course.

Dead
04-13-2005, 01:20 PM
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes

Gamblor
04-13-2005, 02:08 PM
From what I hear, he has denounced his past.

Does this mean he's genuinely tolerant?

Or that he's only quiet enough about his hatred to further his career?

let the man's voting record decide.

Dead
04-13-2005, 02:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]

let the man's voting record decide.

[/ QUOTE ]

He filibustered the Civil Rights Act for almost a day.

He voted against confirming Clarence Thomas AND Thurgood Marshall. Clarence Thomas being conservative, and Marshall liberal. Why did he vote against both? Well, they are both black.

kurto
04-13-2005, 02:10 PM
"1. Is it true he was in KKK ?" Yes. He was in the Klan like 50 years ago. His has been very upfront about it, admitted it was wrong and has actually spoken out about it. If I remember correctly, he actually fought for civil rights later - counter acting the folly of his youth.

"2. Could the Republicans have a former KKK member in the Senate?" I don't believe there's any now. Though David Duke, I believe, did well running as a Republican a number of years ago. The difference being that Byrd's renounced his past, Duke still embraced his White Supremacy garbage.

"3. . Is this hypocracy?" In what sense? Is what hypocracy?

kurto
04-13-2005, 02:13 PM
I thought he, fairly early on, hired a lot of prominent blacks in his office?

I'm no Byrd expert, so my memories are a little vague.

Dead
04-13-2005, 02:16 PM
I don't care.

I'm only a registered Democrat. I have no problem criticizing Democrats that I feel are out of line, like Bob Byrd.

And Byrd is an obvious racist. One can argue about whether or not it is his fault, since he did grow up in a different time, and in a different environment than most of us did. But that doesn't change the fact that he is still a racist.

He used the phrase "white n******" on Fox News Sunday only 3 or 4 years ago.

kurto
04-13-2005, 02:33 PM
I don't think too much about Byrd either. Except that in the last couple of years he's made some eloquent speeches. And he's one of the few Dems with any balls these days.

"have no problem criticizing Democrats that I feel are out of line, like Bob Byrd." LOL I have no problem criticizing most politicians. I just happen to agree philosophically with the Democrats more often. They're more likely to be concerned about the interests of your average joe.

"He used the phrase "white n******" on Fox News Sunday only 3 or 4 years ago." I'm undecided about him only because I don't know much about it. Bad choice of words is not indicative of an entire attitude.

I have, on occasion, called something "gay", without meaning to be a slur.. yet I dont' think anyone who knows me would conclude I'm anti-gay.

I know that's a stretch,... my Grandma still refers to blacks as "coloreds", but (before she died) her last friend and church going partner was her next door black neighbor.

I don't know I'm saying except, I'm not going to make a final conclusion based on one statement. I thought I had heard he had really reformed. But, since he's not my rep., it doesn't concern me too much.

Talk2BigSteve
04-13-2005, 03:03 PM
I am from Mississippi, and after the whole Strom Thurmond fiasco with our own Majority Leader I purchased this shirt.
http://www.boffensive.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000034/lott.jpg

B-Offensive.com (http://www.boffensive.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=boffensive&Prod uct_Code=LOTT&Category_Code=Pol)
Really pissed off alot of people here in Mississippi but oh well WTF ever.

Big Steve /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Felix_Nietsche
04-13-2005, 05:36 PM
Yes, I think he resigned after WW2.

Unlikely, for several reasons.
a. The press would have broken that story ages ago.
b. The KKK was predominently a southern movement which peaked around the 1920s.
c. The Democratic party dominated the South until around the 1960s.
Since the KKK was based in the South and most southern politicans were Democrats until the 1960s, most former KKK members who went into politics were Democrats.

3. Is this hypocracy?
No, why would Republicans who never joined the KKK be guilty of hyprocrisy?

The Dude
04-13-2005, 06:19 PM
Can you clarify exactly what you think might be hypocracy?