PDA

View Full Version : Trying to keep the pot small w/ over pair.

kongo_totte
04-13-2005, 10:35 AM
Villian is 14/9 after 400 hands.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

SB ($43.25)
BB ($98.85)
UTG ($112)
UTG+1 ($129.65)
Hero ($107.7)
MP1 ($105.65)
MP2 ($67.2)
MP3 ($245.45)
CO ($36.3)
Button ($148.7)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif. SB posts a blind of $0.5.
UTG calls $1, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $5</font>, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, BB calls $4, UTG calls $4.

Flop: ($15.50) Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $10</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $20</font>, UTG folds, Hero calls $10.

Turn: ($55.50) K/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

River: ($55.50) 9/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $30</font>, Hero calls $30.

Final Pot: $115.50

The_Bends
04-13-2005, 11:51 AM
I like it. You know this guy only comes in with decent hands (which would seem to rule out QT Q7 etc.) and he's check raising you on the flop. At this point you'd have to think KK, QQ, TT, 77 or AQ. KJ is an outside possiblty but that depends whether you think he'd raise on a draw, maybe if it was suited? That would also increase the likely hod that he called with it in the first place. The turn check could well be another CR attempt (a lot of people seem to like the double CR no idea why) checking is definatly the best plan. On the river you're hand is strong but not great the only hand I could see you getting money out of by raising would be KK.

Hope you won.

xorbie
04-13-2005, 12:09 PM
On the river, can you name a single hand you beat? AQ? 89/images/graemlins/heart.gif? Pot control is important, but so is knowing when you are beat, and when your opponent is drawing to beat you. The flop is a good time to put that $30 river call to good use, IMO. If you re-raise and he pushes, fold. Otherwise, I expect him to fold a hand like AQ (although it would be nice to know what his flop agression is, showdowns won, etc to know if he overplays this type of hand) or some random broadways. By the river, every pocket pair that isn't 88 or 66 and under has you beat, as do any two broadway cards. You pretty much have to fold.

kongo_totte
04-13-2005, 01:32 PM
On the flop, I put him on A Q (perhaps wishful thinking), and since I had put him on that, I can't fold to a 3/5 bet on the river, also since I indicated so much weakness, on all streets

MisterKing
04-13-2005, 01:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
On the flop, I put him on A Q (perhaps wishful thinking), and since I had put him on that, I can't fold to a 3/5 bet on the river, also since I indicated so much weakness, on all streets

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a reasonable line of thinking, IMO. If he made a set, so be it, but I think you want to see a showdown.

*Edit* - I take that back. Xorbie's post is dead-on. When he calls your raise PF, he probably has something along the lines of QJs/TT/whatever. Only AQ and 88 seem like hands he might call with that you can beat. And I doubt 88 given his flop action. Fold the river, and exert more pressure on the flop.

FlipPoker
04-13-2005, 02:18 PM
I'd bet the pot on the flop. I'd bet again on the turn. If he check-raises, I'd probably lay it down thinking he has kings, queens, or tens.

xorbie
04-13-2005, 07:22 PM
Putting your opponent on the one single combination of cards that doesn't beat you does indeed sound like wishful thinking. There are many other plays he might play this way, including a set, KK overpair, a draw (which probably got there).

-Skeme-
04-13-2005, 07:37 PM
I was in an ugly hand sort of like this earlier where I checked an overpair trying to keep the pot small. Unfortunately, Villain was on a flush draw and the free card I let him have was his 5th suit. I'll probably post it later.

jonnyUCB
04-13-2005, 09:11 PM
Not the time to do it IMO unless you have a really good handle on Villian's type of play. Bet the turn, charge a draw, (he could easily make a one card straight JQ or some other garbage if you give him the card), fold to any reraise. I bet the turn 20. I personally don't like the other responses about getting it in on the flop as if he calls (which he may do rather than push with a set), you're left with another two streets and a huge ass pot which you still want to protect.