PDA

View Full Version : Easy way to play PL O/8 at home?

bostondave
04-13-2005, 09:03 AM
Hello all-

For a year now, I've been hosting a low buy-in NL hold 'em game at my home. Recently I've introduced O/8 into the game, but people don't like the idea of playing limit. We tried playing a couple of hands of Pot Limit O/8 with "play money", and it was a giant hassle to figure out the pot size all the time. Is there an easy way to do this that I'm not aware of? I wouldn't mind playing PL, because I'm really the only one there with significant O/8 experience, but if every hand is going to be a pain in the ***, I'll stick to limit.

Thanks in advance,

-Dave

PS - going to cross-post this in the Home Games forum.

Ironman
04-13-2005, 10:29 AM
Most of the time we play either no limit or Pot limit HE. We used to use cash and for some reason that was a hassle. About a year ago we switched to chips and things are much easier.

Does it take a little longer to play pot limit? Yeah probably. But I actually feel I use it to my advantage. I've noticed that if I restrain myself and don't take charge of the pot (splitting it into side pots and such) that the people more focused on the money are people that have a good hand and I need to watch out for.

Just a little "tell" I'm sure, but if I'm going to showdown at a loose home game, I want to have all the info I can get.

Those extra 30 seconds are focused on who is watching the pot and who is looking at the baseball game on the TV.

Yads
04-13-2005, 10:58 AM
I just ran a dealers choice pot limit game and it was fine. It did take a little longer to figure out pot size, but it's not that big of a hassle.

E Hanhan
04-13-2005, 10:58 AM
Tell your friends to relax, there's no need to bet the pot every time. NL freaks. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

The best way is just to make sure you dont splash the pot every bet, that way you can stack up the pot and its easy to match it that way. Matching chips is the best way, people cannot count and trying to count every pot, as you've found out is impossible

bostondave
04-13-2005, 02:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Tell your friends to relax, there's no need to bet the pot every time. NL freaks. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

ha! I passed that comment on to a few of my friends, and they all got a kick out of it

Thanks to all for the suggestions...we're going to try it out tonight and see what happens