PDA

View Full Version : What's the point of Broiling?

[censored]
04-13-2005, 04:00 AM
I was looking at my oven today and started to wonder why having the heat come from above (broiling) consitutes a different method of cooking. What exactly happpens differently then normal"bake"?

Alobar
04-13-2005, 04:05 AM
your food gets "crustier"

[censored]
04-13-2005, 04:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's it? Seriously?

Alobar
04-13-2005, 04:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's it? Seriously?

[/ QUOTE ]

well im not a chef or anything...but im pretty sure thats it

Benholio
04-13-2005, 04:08 AM
Howstuffworks: "In a kitchen oven, what is the difference between the bake setting and the broil setting?" (http://home.howstuffworks.com/question228.htm)

The meat of the article:

Baking and broiling are completely different ways to cook food.

* In baking, you are trying to heat food by surrounding the food with hot air.
* In broiling, you are trying to heat food using infrared radiation.

Infrared radiation, especially at close range, has a tendency to char things (which is great when you are trying to cook steaks), while hot air does not have that tendency (which is great for cakes).

-

Also see this article. (http://computer.howstuffworks.com/search-engine.htm)

bholdr
04-13-2005, 04:09 AM
broiling lets one cook fatty foods in a flat pad, exposing the meat, etc, to the heat while letting it boil in it's own juices.

it's different from roasting in that it yeilds the charred/ toasted texture that grilling does, without losing all the flavor and fat.

Eurotrash
04-13-2005, 04:09 AM
I'm not exactly sure myself, but I was under the impression that the broiler basically exposes your food to a direct flame. Not in the sense that it contacts the food, but the flame is very close to the food

With baking, I'm pretty sure it's more convective heating -- i.e. the oven heats the air which in turn cooks your food

anybody feel free to tell me how wrong that is.

nicky g
04-13-2005, 04:55 AM
Note that broiling is a pretty unhealth way to cook food, although it comes out delicious.

edfurlong
04-13-2005, 05:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I was looking at my oven today and started to wonder why having the heat come from above (broiling) consitutes a different method of cooking. What exactly happpens differently then normal"bake"?

[/ QUOTE ]

Just think of it as grilling in the oven.