PDA

View Full Version : How to react to this steal attempt

KSakuraba
04-13-2005, 03:03 AM
7500 guaranteee with ~200 players, pretty early in the tournament.
Blinds are 50/100. avg. stack is ~2600, hero has 4200.
Folded all the way to the button (stack ~3800) who makes it 300. Typical succesful steal raise at the table at that moment. Hero sees 66 in bb and does...what?

LethalRose
04-13-2005, 03:05 AM
and your position is?

KSakuraba
04-13-2005, 03:08 AM
Yep sorry...bb..edited.

LethalRose
04-13-2005, 03:15 AM
You can call, then throw out a nice sized bet on the flop, or even a checkraise.

reraising here is only an option if he has been raising a lot and you are confident he will fold to reraise.

gumpzilla
04-13-2005, 03:20 AM
If it's pretty early, I'm not in a big hurry to defend my blind with this particular hand. So I probably fold this.

That said, I guess there are two routes that jump out at me if you're going to defend:

1) Pop him back right now for something in the vicinity of 900 or 1000. I don't like this approach very much.

2) Call, and lead out on most flops for about 600 or so. I'd probably stay away from flops with two broadway, for example. I think you have more folding equity here - and who knows, you might even hit your set - so I'd go with this approach were I to defend.

EDIT: Reflecting on this a bit more, I think your stacks are probably still deep enough to play this for set value. So you could also take the approach of calling and check/folding. Which of these options is more appealing is going to come down to what you think of the raiser.

Pepsquad
04-13-2005, 04:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
7500 guaranteee with ~200 players, pretty early in the tournament.
Blinds are 50/100. avg. stack is ~2600, hero has 4200.
Folded all the way to the button (stack ~3800) who makes it 300. Typical succesful steal raise at the table at that moment. Hero sees 66 in bb and does...what?

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends. If button has been getting a little out of whack lately (overaggressive) with his blind steals I like to just call and check raise any flop. If my check-raise is called, I'm done with this hand (assuming no set).
If button has been appropriate and I have no reason to believe he's stealing with any two here I fold. Reason being that this early in a tournament, I want to condition the button to believe I won't defend my blinds. Why shut him down now and win a ~500 pot, when I can wait and set up a monster pot re-steal against his steal when the blinds are much more meaningful?
Of course, I usually do this and then am promptly moved to another table! /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Pep.

unglee
04-13-2005, 04:55 AM
It's a bit early to have your feathers ruffled by what may or may not be a steal attempt. If he's been out of line, sure, this might be the time to send an early message to not mess with your blinds, but barring that, this is a simple call in my opinion. You have a lot of chips, so throw in the extra two hundred and see a flop. If the flop comes all low cards, throw out a pot sized bet. If there are a couple of faces, check and fold.

Bataglin
04-13-2005, 08:24 AM
Hero calls.