PDA

View Full Version : Check my lines?

DasLeben
04-13-2005, 02:17 AM
First hand: BB is a solid, but generally straightforward player.

Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

UTG (t3430)
MP (t1080)
CO (t3580)
Button (t2375)
Hero (t1980)
BB (t2555)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t400) A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 3/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t300</font>, BB calls t300.

Turn: (t1000) 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t600</font>, BB calls t600.

River: (t2200) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t880 (All-In)</font>, BB calls t880.

Final Pot: t3960

The converter didn't like the second hand, so here:

8-handed, blinds 75/150. I have T850. Everyone's stacks range from T1800-T2900.

Dealt AsQs UTG, I move in.

Thoughts on both?

citanul
04-13-2005, 02:19 AM
the only thing that looks even a little sketchy here is the complete from the sb first hand.

citanul

Patrick Duffy
04-13-2005, 02:22 AM
good and good

what the heck did villain have in the first hand? my only guess is 33...

DasLeben
04-13-2005, 03:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
what the heck did villain have in the first hand? my only guess is 33...

[/ QUOTE ]

Aces. Hah. I got skooooooled. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

TruFloridaGator
04-13-2005, 04:05 AM
Muck it Preflop

curtains
04-13-2005, 04:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
the only thing that looks even a little sketchy here is the complete from the sb first hand.

citanul

[/ QUOTE ]

Since you always quote me, here I do the same for you /images/graemlins/smile.gif

DasLeben
04-13-2005, 04:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]

citanul

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually that's exactly what I was thinking. I think folding or raising should have had higher precedence over completing. I'm not sure why I did what I did. :P

Phoenix1010
04-13-2005, 05:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

citanul

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually that's exactly what I was thinking. I think folding or raising should have had higher precedence over completing. I'm not sure why I did what I did. :P

[/ QUOTE ]

Good thing you realize that. Play that aggressively preflop or don't play it at all. In general, don't get in the habit of completing heads up in the blinds when they get that high. Completing is bad. You surrender position for the entirety of the hand. You could make a case for it if you have a premium drawing hand, but that's not what you have here. You have a half-strength top pair hand, meaning that very few flops are going to make you very happy, meaning that even if you're sure your opponent will let you see a cheap flop (which you're not), you still generally don't want to see a flop. Either muck it or try to take it down preflop.

In this situation, I strongly advise folding. You've got that ~10 BB stack that makes stealing tricky. A standard raise from a premium steal position isn't going to scare a loose player, and an aggressive player will sometimes come over the top and force you to fold. A push would be your best bet.

I won't run the numbers for pushing here, but I will tell you that I don't like it. Pushing and getting those 300 chips won't drastically improve your chip position, but it will drastically affect your table image. You'll be stealing from this guy for the rest of the tourney, save your aggression for when there's something worth winning in there.

-Phoenix

curtains
04-13-2005, 05:36 AM
I wouldn't say completing is flat out bad when compared to folding. If you can complete and just make some tiny bluff on the flop and have your opponent fold a great % of the time (which is the case with a lot of opponents), I don't think it's terrible.

Note that I would rarely do it in this spot, but I don't think its fair to classify it as a uniformly terrible play.

DasLeben
04-13-2005, 05:39 AM
Thanks for the excellent posts! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Phoenix1010
04-13-2005, 05:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't say completing is flat out bad when compared to folding. If you can complete and just make some tiny bluff on the flop and have your opponent fold a great % of the time (which is the case with a lot of opponents), I don't think it's terrible.

Note that I would rarely do it in this spot, but I don't think its fair to classify it as a uniformly terrible play.

[/ QUOTE ]

True. It's not a uniformly bad play, and I like to use that sort of stop-and-go flop bluff as well, although even bad players will catch onto it quickly. I was trying to emphasize to the OP that completing is generally not a good habit to get into, unless you are so confident in your postflop skills that you feel you can overcome being out of position for the entire hand.

curtains
04-13-2005, 05:45 AM
Fair enough! Sometimes things are stated in too much of a black and white manner for me. While this type of advice may be best for beginners I feel like it's best to have an open mind about such things.

SNOWBALL138
04-13-2005, 06:53 AM
Once in a while I run into one of these "fit or fold" guys near the bubble. Its HEAVEN.

It makes my steals much cheaper.

If you can figure out a way to spot these guys everytime, you have a very nice, solid, edge.