PDA

View Full Version : Could I have played this better?

Fatdogs12
04-12-2005, 11:07 PM
I was recently in a game and here was the situation:

I had Q 9 in the pocket suited and in last position with 2 other people in the pot. The flop came down: Q 10 9 which gave me 2 pair. The guy in the first position folded but the guy in the second position bet out 200. Me and this guy were basically the same stack size at 800 chips. Now it the blinds were 15/30 at that point in the game. This player from what I saw would bet hard any pair on the flop so him having a hand like AQ was likely.

I figured that he could also be on a open ended straight draw but that was a bit less as likely. With a straight draw he would have 8 outs for an approx. 34% chance of getting his straight (maybe these numbers are wrong, not quite sure) .

So I figure either way it's unlikely I am beat at this point so I should kill his pot odds and reraise all in, either taking my chances against a straight draw or having him a big underdog with AQ.

So I rereaise all in. It turns out he has 10-J, he called hit a king and busted me. What do you think the right move or the wrong move was? What would you have done?

john_
04-12-2005, 11:13 PM
Almost a 2 to 1 favorite depending on the suiting...I'd say its a pretty good spot to be in on. Don't be results oriented though you won't win everytime.

DasLeben
04-12-2005, 11:14 PM
This post is as results oriented as they come. Honestly, you put your money in when you were a favorite, so there's nothing you can do to stop that K from falling. This is something I've been trying to convey to my roomate after he busted 3 SNGs in a row after being all-in as a favorite. It happens.

But here's how I see it:

-Calling is not an option.
-Folding is POSSIBLE, but I'm not 100% on that.
-All-in is fine if you think you're well ahead (which you acted correctly on).

Then again, I think I have an issue with being too aggressive too early. *shrugs*

Nottom
04-12-2005, 11:20 PM
I think calling is definately an option. Its certainly way above folding.

If you call, you are basically just looking for a safe turn card to push with where your edge is much greater and if a scare card hits you get to re-evaluate what to do based on his action (ah ... the beauty of position).

I still think pushing is probably the prefered play, becasue those same scare cards are going to cost you some bets against a hand like AQ or a slowplayed AA/KK.

DasLeben
04-12-2005, 11:25 PM
My issue with calling is that it can really ruin your day (and take a quarter of your stack) if a scare card hits. I'd rather just get my money in on the flop, assuming I think he's on a draw.

I dunno. That's just my thinking.