PDA

View Full Version : Belmont: Baffert should yank Espinoza

06-09-2002, 01:20 PM
First, let me say that the start probabaly cost WE the win. But it didn't cost him the 19 lengths he lost by. Vince did that.

The horse natrually rushed up a bit after falling. Going into the first turn, he had a clear shot at taking a position right to the outside of pacesetting Wiseman's Ferry. Instead, Vince wrangled WE back and ceded that position to MDO (who finished second by a head).

Rather than let the horse run his race, he got chicken and decided to try something new in the biggest race of his life. It was painful to watch the backstretch. WE's head was bowed and practically cocked sideways he was fighting Vince so hard. Vince completely strangled the run out of this horse. Then for the capper, he makes a run up the dead rail. Perfect job retard.

I don't know if he could have won after that start, but I believe he certainly hits the board (it was 9 lengths back to Sunday Break), and possibly is involved in that win photo where MDO was. But we'll never know.

Hopefully the horse came back sound. He could be a force in the fall.

06-09-2002, 07:54 PM
Clarkmeister, bad riding by Espinoza or not, I did'nt think that he would have won the Belmont. He barely won the Preakness by a diminishing 3/4 length. No doubt he is a very good horse but not the same kind as Secretariat and Seattle Slew. Unless his connections decide otherwise, he will surely be a force in the Breeders' Cup. What I think he needs now is much needed rest. Too bad I didnt bet on the winner but I got some consolation money on my place bet on MDO at something like 16-1 here in Vancouvwer.

06-09-2002, 11:08 PM
Just my assertion, not that I am a horse expert, but that horse won't be a real force in the future. Reading the DRF yesterday I was almost laughing thinking these horses were taking WE on. I mean half of them had trouble getting 90 Beyer figures with any consistency. This is what they call competition? Just seems to me that this was the best horse of a terrible stock of 3 year olds. I remember last year's field was littered with quality horses and 100 Beyer Figures were dime a dozen amongst the top 3 or 4 contenders. Only thing WE has going for him is that he is a young and not heavily raced horse and the best still could be ahead of him, as well as the fact that horse racing seems to lose all its good horses to injury or stud so early that there never are super horses out there. Just more evidence of the decline of horse racing in general.

06-10-2002, 10:29 PM
yeah but the tracks could all become giant slot patlours and poker rooms...and make bigger bucks...gl