PDA

View Full Version : River gaybet

krishanleong
04-12-2005, 10:15 PM
Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 4 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls.

Flop: (4 SB) J/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

Turn: (3 BB) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

River: (5 BB) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 7 BB

Villian is 41/3/0.5/41 over 416 hands. I have good image at the table having shown down a good number of premiums.

There are a couple thoughts running through my mind. First is that a scare card hit on the river and he could be bluffing. I'm definitely not folding. If I raise and he's bluffing, I win nothing with a raise. If he has a pair I get 1 bet, and if he has a 7 I lose 2. I elected to call based on his agression stats and my good table image. Is this easy one way or the other? Should there be other things I consider when deciding to raise or not?

Krishan

tac252
04-12-2005, 10:19 PM
I think the way you played it is what i would do. This smells like a missed diamond draw to me. your not making any other bets on this hand except the rare instance in which your opponent is capable of a bluff 3bet at the river, whcih isn't very common at 5/10.

Tom

Jeff W
04-12-2005, 10:25 PM
I merrily raise.

Edit: I would lay 2.5:1 odds that you're best.

krishanleong
04-12-2005, 10:35 PM
I may be best by 2.5:1 but that doesn't make this a raise. Your assuming I'll be ahead 60% of the time when called? Which may be correct.

Krishan

Ben5505
04-12-2005, 10:39 PM
He very likely could just have a pair of jacks without much of a kicker and didnt want you to check behind after the river card came.

Jeff W
04-12-2005, 10:40 PM
Assuming you have to call the 3bet, I believe you have to be ahead 2/3 times here to value raise. The extra .5 is for the times he has worse than ace high and folds.

I actually think you're good even more often than my odds implied, but I wanted an overlay. :P

Trix
04-12-2005, 11:29 PM
Iīd say itīs a pretty big mistake to flatcall the river unless you are against a very good or extremely passive player.

Villian doesnt look like such.

krishanleong
04-12-2005, 11:33 PM
Can someone explain the thinking? Villian must have a hand that we expect to call. Is this range pair of jacks, eights and fives? Does it include ace high?

How does the river scare card fit in? It seems to me like his bet is more likely a bluff that will fold to a raise than a legitimate value bet that will call a raise. Is it some sort of semibluff bet from a pair hand that thinks it has some fold equity?

If the river had not paired the board, should I be more or less likely to raise the river?

Krishan

Trix
04-12-2005, 11:42 PM
Iīll probably raise either way, unless Iīm against someone I figure will take advantage of that.

his range is any pair, any bluff, any hand, sometimes you will get called by K-high.

The 7 semi protects a valuebet on the river, but people seem to call the raise anyway, as after it comes, they think, "well, maybe he is bluffing" or whatever.

He has opencompleted, check-called twice and now bets, that isnīt showing alot of strenght...

[ QUOTE ]
Is it some sort of semibluff bet from a pair hand that thinks it has some fold equity?

[/ QUOTE ]

You canīt semibluff when all the cards are out.

einbert
04-12-2005, 11:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The 7 semi protects a valuebet on the river, but people seem to call the raise anyway, as after it comes, they think, "well, maybe he is bluffing" or whatever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude this sentence is awesome ^^.

I raise the river because, well, I think this is very often a value bet with a hand that you beat. And I think any of those retards will call this raise if indeed the original bet was for value.

krishanleong
04-13-2005, 10:53 AM
Villian showed Q6o for the river stab and MHIG. I remain a little skeptical about raising the river in this spot.

Krishan