PDA

View Full Version : When will this loosing streek end God help me

Radio
04-12-2005, 09:09 PM
I have been on a devastateing loosing streek over the last month or so. Its got to the point where iv payed more in rake than iv won and iv made more from bonuses than i have from actually winning playing poker. At this at this rate it will be only be the bonuses that keep me afloat, soon! I seem to have gone from winning 50 to $60 per night to loosing up to 40 or 50 per session! The games have definatly got tougher to beat and the advantage i once had has gone. The days of fish who blindly call down with ever second hand have gone! The fish of today are semi-loose who know sort of how to play well and this combined with a few suckouts destroys my win rate. I find it very hard to find any games at $1-2 over several sites with more than 2 or 3 players seeing the flop each hand. And when they do they smell when they are beaten and fold! Also most of my big hand dont hold up, some semi-loose player hangs around and beats my 3 of kind with a low streight or similar. God im beating my head against a brick wall!

James282
04-12-2005, 09:13 PM
Play Party Poker. The games there are much softer than the ones you describe. If you don't think so, learn how to play better.
-James

Radio
04-12-2005, 09:20 PM
I play fine, Im rated as tight agressive-passive on my PT stats, not best but hardly a fish. I can hardly find those fishy games on party you describe. I mean i was beating $1-2 for 4,2 BB/100 over 8000 hands, so my play cant be that bad! But in the last month Iv dropped $600 mostly at $1-2 on the cryptos and party, pacfic and paradise. Maybe this is a downswing but I know the games arnt as soft as they used to be! Im going to review all my poker books and maybe even drop below $1-2 untill i can get on top of this!

JinX11
04-12-2005, 09:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I play fine

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Im rated as tight agressive-passive on my PT stats

[/ QUOTE ]

These statements are mutually exclusive. Increase your aggression post-flop. One of the following is probably happening: 1) You're losing many pots because you fail to raise to protect and are being outdrawn by opponents who are correctly chasing you, 2) you're calling in situations where you are likely beaten and don't have proper odds to chase, or 3) both 1 and 2.

8K hands is not a lot. Sounds like you may be coming back down to earth (i.e., a more realistic win rate for a passive postflop player) with your downswing.

Evan
04-12-2005, 09:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Im rated as tight agressive-passive on my PT stats

[/ QUOTE ]

From an AIM conversation with scrub a couple hours ago:

scrub: the other revelation I have had this month is that the population of "donks with decent stats" is growing by leaps and bounds

Catt
04-13-2005, 01:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
From an AIM conversation with scrub a couple hours ago:

scrub: the other revelation I have had this month is that the population of "donks with decent stats" is growing by leaps and bounds

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not a good poker player, yet, but I think I play OK. I am "OK" enough, I think, to spot bad play and good play (though not without the occasional mistake and not with the ability to spot good versus inspired, read-based, great play).

Those caveats aside, I see a lot of players that I consider pretty bad poker players who carry PT stats that are considered very solid on these boards. Stats tell a very small portion of the story of one's game. My experience online is relatively short, though, so I have no idea if this represents a substantial change from the games a year or two ago.

Long story short - while I can't opine on the growth rate of "donks with decent stats," I would second that there is a reasonably healthy population of such beasts roaming around out there.

bblock99
04-13-2005, 03:49 AM
Play 1/2 (6-max) on party, incredibly good game.

bicyclekick
04-13-2005, 04:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Holy crap me too. this is totally true.

meanjean
04-13-2005, 10:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

leave me out of this

RagleGumm
04-13-2005, 10:26 AM
i lost 87.5% of my bankroll in 4 days. but then again, i only had 80$ in my bankroll :]

timprov
04-13-2005, 10:56 AM
I recently talked to the spelling gods, and suggested they start a new policy where people get extra downswings for every time they spell "lose" with two 'o's. Apparently they took to the idea.

sfer
04-13-2005, 11:10 AM
I haven't read your post but if you have a loosing streek I would suggest playing tighter.

krishanleong
04-13-2005, 12:42 PM
Your play can be atrocious. You have no idea how short term 8K hands is.

Krishan

free=good
04-13-2005, 01:52 PM
I've been going through a horrific losing streak as well. I felt like I was playing well, but in the back of my mind was the thought that maybe I just suck and have been lucky for the last year or so. Instead of playing last night, I spent those hours going through every one of the hands that I lost money on in this streak. I found a few mistakes that I made and will learn from them. I also realized that I have just been getting disgustingly bad cards and bad luck lately. It doesn't make any of the money come back, but I slept a lot better and am excited to play again. I'm also planning on doing this in the near future after a couple of very good sessions to see where I can be making more money.

I'm going to assume that you use poker tracker or some such similar program. Take a day/night off of the tables and honestly evaluate your play. You will learn something - you may not like what you learn, but you will learn.

Schneids
04-13-2005, 02:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I mean i was beating $1-2 for 4,2 BB/100 over 8000 hands, so my play cant be that bad!

[/ QUOTE ]

8000 hands means nothing.

As a submission of evidence, here is my poker playing graphed since December. I've blacked out the $ figures because that doesn't matter, but note the ~37k break even stretch. Also accept my assertion that I'm a long term winner with proven stats. 8k hands, winning OR losing, means exactly nothing. You can be the worst player ever and win lots in 8k hands or you could be the best player ever and lose tons in that stretch.

http://www.mtmtechnologies.net/pokergraph2.JPG

Bluffoon
04-13-2005, 03:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've been going through a horrific losing streak as well. I felt like I was playing well, but in the back of my mind was the thought that maybe I just suck and have been lucky for the last year or so. Instead of playing last night, I spent those hours going through every one of the hands that I lost money on in this streak. I found a few mistakes that I made and will learn from them. I also realized that I have just been getting disgustingly bad cards and bad luck lately. It doesn't make any of the money come back, but I slept a lot better and am excited to play again. I'm also planning on doing this in the near future after a couple of very good sessions to see where I can be making more money.

I'm going to assume that you use poker tracker or some such similar program. Take a day/night off of the tables and honestly evaluate your play. You will learn something - you may not like what you learn, but you will learn.

[/ QUOTE ]

This should be a regular part of your routine.

I have no idea how you play but it sounds like you are weak-tight. Your opponents see that and have stop giving you action. You might want to increase your semi-blufffing frequency.

tessarji
04-13-2005, 04:24 PM
Interesting graph. Did you move up a limit at about 57k hands?

Greg J
04-13-2005, 04:29 PM
I guess the moral of the story is, at some point Sklanskly bucks do get cashed in, just that we have no say when that is.

Hey, congrats on the right side of that graph. That must feel GOOD.

Radio
04-13-2005, 04:56 PM
Okey i can accept 8k hands is nothing, But im not a donk I know quite abit about poker thanks to this site. The thing is i only play 1 or 2 tables at a time so 8k hands seems alot to me. But i no its a just a blip. Iv played alot more than 8k hands around 20k or so. Most at the the micro limits which i beat with a massive margine. When i moved up to 1-2 on the cryptos to bonus whore i found i crushed that game over 8k hands. Im not a rock im the eagle symbol in my PT stats, And your right i do need to become more aggresive again. I think what happend was I got a normal down swing which put me on tilt as It was my forst real down swing, then i tried to play more weektight to avoid suckouts which also made things worse and prolonged my down swing.

Iv already start to see where i was going wrong and have started to protect my hands and general be more aggresive where it counts. And It appears atleast for the moment to be working. So thanks to guys whom actually tried to give me advice.

Grisgra
04-13-2005, 06:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I recently talked to the spelling gods, and suggested they start a new policy where people get extra downswings for every time they spell "lose" with two 'o's. Apparently they took to the idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

I made a similar request as well, but to the gods of punctuation, grammar, and capitalization. Good to see that they're all in cahoots on this one!

cookie
04-13-2005, 06:37 PM
How did you make that graph?

Some pokertracker feature?

Guthrie
04-13-2005, 07:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think what happend was I got a normal down swing which put me on tilt as It was my forst real down swing, then i tried to play more weektight to avoid suckouts which also made things worse and prolonged my down swing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you've found the leak.

Blarg
04-13-2005, 10:27 PM
As Schneids is saying, even that 20k hands is really nothing. Focus on your play and not your numbers, and then if you are a good player numbers + time will = profit.

MicroBob
04-13-2005, 11:02 PM
I might also recommend looking at one's own game.

Just assuming that your game is probably decent but that all these tighties at 2/4 are just too tough to beat is NOT the correct approach.

I haven't been playing party 2/4 or 3/6 of late...so I can't really say for certain. Even if there aren't that many who call you down with their 93o unimproved I REFUSE to believe that with over 70k players on party simultaneously that ALL of the 2/4 players are really that strong.

The players who seem to be smart enough to fold when you have them beat. Consider whether you are playing your hands properly and if you should be doing something to extract more bets out of them more consistently.

This is something I am always trying to ask myself. Whether I win a hand or lose a hand I try to look at it and make a determination as to whether I could have played the hand better.

I don't dwell on them....but it's good to think "hmmm...I guess the C/R there wasn't such a hot idea. I probably had him drawing dead and could have gotten another bet out of him" or something like that.

I don't really care how low the table-VP is going on the party 2/4. I absolutely REFUSE to believe that they are THAT tough. Maybe tougher than before....but the day that you or I can't beat an online 2/4 game somewhere is well PAST the day we should have given up poker.