PDA

View Full Version : Closer, the movie with Natalie Portman, et all.

ddubois
04-12-2005, 09:00 PM
Can anyone explain to me the point of the "surprise ending"? In a movie about relationships and sex and all that, what was this little .... twist at the end supposed to mean? I can't refer to it as a "plot twist", because other than the scene at the strip club, it had no impact or relationship to the story line at all. It seemed really incongruent to me, and can't fathom why it was thrown in. Was it supposed to give some deeper insight into her character?

andyfox
04-12-2005, 09:04 PM
"Was it supposed to give some deeper insight into her character?"

I think so. She was, apparently, a poseur.

Patrick del Poker Grande
04-12-2005, 09:05 PM
The whole movie made little to no sense. It was very meh - I was left a bit disappointed.

kerssens
04-12-2005, 09:07 PM
I don't find Natalie Portman very hot, I'm looking forward to not voting for her in Ms. OOT II.

istewart
04-12-2005, 09:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't find Natalie Portman very hot, I'm looking forward to not voting for her in Ms. OOT II.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's the door:

http://www.goodexperience.com/broken/i/04/02/door-s.jpg

ddubois
04-12-2005, 09:14 PM
But what does that mean? Are we supposed to infer that everything about her character prior was a lie? She didn't really "love" Law? She wasn't really upset when he cheated and left her? She wasn't really a stripper? She was a CIA agent planted to spy on British yuppies? I don't get it. It seems so random.

LAGmaniac
04-12-2005, 09:27 PM
Check the forums at imdb, they have some theories on the ending over there. One that I found pretty convincing was that she had borderline personality disorder.

peachy
04-12-2005, 09:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Can anyone explain to me the point of the "surprise ending"? In a movie about relationships and sex and all that, what was this little .... twist at the end supposed to mean? I can't refer to it as a "plot twist", because other than the scene at the strip club, it had no impact or relationship to the story line at all. It seemed really incongruent to me, and can't fathom why it was thrown in. Was it supposed to give some deeper insight into her character?

[/ QUOTE ]

which part of the ending?? i didnt see any of it as a suprise which is why im asking

peachy
04-12-2005, 09:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The whole movie made little to no sense. It was very meh - I was left a bit disappointed.

[/ QUOTE ]

it made sense to me hehehe and i liked it alot

stanky
04-12-2005, 09:45 PM
Who cares. How much skin does she show?

-Pete

istewart
04-12-2005, 09:46 PM
Enough.

peachy
04-12-2005, 09:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
But what does that mean? Are we supposed to infer that everything about her character prior was a lie? She didn't really "love" Law? She wasn't really upset when he cheated and left her? She wasn't really a stripper? She was a CIA agent planted to spy on British yuppies? I don't get it. It seems so random.

[/ QUOTE ]

to me...she was tryin to escape her past...things she said were true...but not her name - she wanted to leave that behind. I think she really did love Law, she appeared not SO hurt to some (but to me she looked very hurt) because she was expecting it and she was shocked and she had to get away - everything that happened pulled her back into reality and her past (the strip club) where her real name was hers again and she was who she was before, there was no escaping it.

When she went back to him she still loved him initially, but as he pushed and made what happened (the cheating) more apparent more there by asking and bringing it up, she realized she did not love him anymore, again reality was there, so she left - again more back to who she was

but thats just mah take on it....hehe probably wrong and prolly doesnt make much sense...but at least it does to me!

Yobz
04-12-2005, 10:17 PM
Fits with my theory... "all women have deep-rooted psychological issues"...

Patrick del Poker Grande
04-12-2005, 10:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

it made sense to me hehehe and i liked it alot

[/ QUOTE ]
Okay, maybe I worded my response poorly. I understood what was going on and everything, but... I'll just say it was a disapointing movie. It could've been much better.

andyfox
04-12-2005, 10:32 PM
I don't get it either.

andyfox
04-12-2005, 10:33 PM
They all had personality disorders.

InchoateHand
04-13-2005, 11:03 AM
http://forums.caraudio.com/vb/images/smilies/needpics.gif