PDA

View Full Version : The Power of taking time off....

stillmatic
04-12-2005, 08:35 PM
I'm sure many players realize this, but I am also sure many don't.... Until recently I was the type of player who would play basically every day, and most days atleast 8 hours, maybe more. I didnt even realize that I was slowly burning myself out even though i was still making money. As the weeks went by my game would get sloppier and my emotions began to get involved more than neccesary

The game in itself is addicting and when you are making good money, it makes it twice as enticing to play at most chances you get. But I have recently realized the power of taking 2-3 days (even a week) off to re-enegize and and remind yourself that life is not all about poker, in fact poker is just a small part in the grand scheme of things.

It seems every time I take time off, I come back refreshed and have some of the best money making days I have ever had, which continues for atleast a week.

I think we all get on a kind of perma-tilt after prolonged periods of play and we don't even realize all the bad beats and long hours are taking a toll on our A games.

So I just wanted to remind everyone that there is so much more to life than poker and money, and the more you realize it the better off your game actually is..

Please take some time out from time to time to refresh your mind (and game), as well to regain some perspective on life. Never let yourself become trapped by something that you are doing so you that don't have to be trapped by a 9-5 regualar job.

Hope this helps a few people realize one of the most crucial "leaks" that many of us have.

Good luck to all

john_
04-12-2005, 08:45 PM
Hm, I agree, I've been in the middle of a downswing(10 buy-in's or so) so I took a few days off. Poker will always be there when you choose to go back =P

raptor517
04-12-2005, 09:23 PM
1. 10 buyins is not a downsing
2. what is a day off?
3. holla

Degen
04-12-2005, 09:54 PM
amen

just took a 4 day trip to vegas sans SNG's (besides two quick sets saturday afternoon hehe) and am back in action with a vengance...my focus is at a level i've not felt in weeks and i'm rolling on the floor laughing at my beats, not pulling my hair out.

Degen

yoadrians
04-12-2005, 10:03 PM
Couldn't agree more about the taking time off thing.

REALLY couldn't agree more that some of my best days have been the FIRST days back from a couple day-week stretch off.

Word.