PDA

View Full Version : Passed Up The Perfect Shirt Last Night

HDPM
10-30-2002, 05:54 PM
To all those on this forum who like fishing, golf and drinking, not necessarily in that order, I passed on the perfect shirt last night. It was a silk Tommy Bahama in a bowling-Hawaiian shirt style. The back had a large design with a cocktail (martini) glass, golf clubs, and a fly rod. It said "Tommy Bahama Basic Training" on it. I figured it was the perfect Las Vegas shirt and does capture a lot of my personal philosophy in a succinct but obnoxious way. I inquired about the sizes, but they had only mediums. WTF, the market for that shirt is not fitting in any stinking medium. The clerk asked me if I wanted them to check other stores, but I passed, saying it was too much of an impulse purchase and any effort to procure the shirt would destroy the impulsivity factor. So I passed. So is the shirt's LGPG factor high enough to warrant an effort to get one?

P.S. I made HDPW buy me better prizes to make up for it. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

John Cole
10-30-2002, 06:27 PM
HDPM,

I'm sure the clerk regarded your "any effort to procure the shirt would destroy the impulsivity factor" with a knowing wink.

To answer your question, go ahead and procure one, but, for the life of me, why anyone would wear any garment with the manufacturer's name appearing on it boggles my mind. I won't even wear the boxer shorts with "Joe Boxer" on the waistband that I received for Christmas. I've even passed on shirts that have embossed emblems which resemble watermarks in an effort to keep clothing advertisement free.

One exception: hats. I don't want to seem like a nutcase.

John

M2d
10-30-2002, 06:49 PM
Perhaps that's why there are only mediums left.

Glenn
10-30-2002, 07:11 PM
"my girl's not much of a wrestler, but you should see her box"

Jimbo
10-30-2002, 07:24 PM
John,

Many of us receive monthly royalty checks for wearing these walking billboard garments. I am surprised you are unaware of this residual income available to poker players throughout the world! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Jimbo

M2d
10-30-2002, 07:39 PM
I saw a guy with an "I'm with Stupid" shirt once, but the arrow was pointing straight down.

brad
10-30-2002, 08:34 PM
'One exception: hats. I don't want to seem like a nutcase.'

i have like 8 hats i bought at target with no logo and just a plain solid color. heh

HDPM
10-30-2002, 10:40 PM
Now I understand not wanting to give free advertising. I usually prefer my clothes to be logo-free. I don't take it to your extreme, but I get it. But the underwear thing? I mean who is going to see the advertisement except maybe whoever was close enough to you to buy you underwear for a present? I hope you don't give the underwear co. free advertising is all I can say. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Ray Zee
10-30-2002, 10:40 PM
see brad, you just proved his point hahahaaha --just kidding

HDPM
10-30-2002, 10:44 PM
In a bar I saw a guy who was out on bond for a manslaughter where he killed his significant other. (I think it was vehicular to his minimal credit) He was wearing a "Kill The Snitches" shirt. Class act, eh?

PokerBabe(aka)
10-30-2002, 11:49 PM
HDPM. Here is the key to LGPG. "If the shirt fits, wear it" /forums/images/icons/grin.gif Basic Training? I LOVE THAT CONCEPT /forums/images/icons/smile.gif It sounds like you really like the shirt and thus, you should purchase it and wear it with pride. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif Also, when you next come to Vegas, it will be easy to spot you, yes? /forums/images/icons/wink.gif When I lived in NYC, I would go to SOHO and other "unhip" places before they were "hip" and buy cool stuff which was perfect for me. One of my favorites was a t-shirt by Stephen Sprouse which said "God Save NYC" in silver lettering on a white background. I had no idea how prophetic that phrase was at the time (1986). Anyway, if YOU like it, BUY IT. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif LGPG, Babe

Rick Nebiolo
10-31-2002, 03:22 AM
John,

I didn't know we shared this identical eccentricity quite to this degree. Why then did you get me that N.Y. System Weiner Shirt?

~ Rick

John Cole
10-31-2002, 07:36 AM
Rick,

Every so often advertising becomes a work of art.

John

John Cole
10-31-2002, 07:42 AM
Well, there's a post title I thought I'd never see.

HDPM, obviously you've never seen my hip-hop look. A few of the secretaries at work even find my do-rag rather fetching.

John

brad
10-31-2002, 08:34 AM
we all have to chip in and be the straight man sometimes.