PDA

View Full Version : Have a beer

Homer
10-30-2002, 03:12 PM
I was wondering if anyone thinks it is possible to play better after having a beer or two. I was playing online a few nights ago after having a beer and my play seemed to reach a new level of clarity. I was much more relaxed than usual and my thoughts and ideas were more freeflowing than ever. Obviously, if you drink too much, your thoughts will become jumbled and you will start to make bad decisions, but I am talking about a single beer (maybe two). Thoughts??

-- Homer J.

Kurn, son of Mogh
10-30-2002, 04:13 PM
If you're tight and need to relax, it probably won't hurt. But there is a fine line between relaxed and too loose.

10-30-2002, 08:28 PM
I came home drunk one night and started to play PP single table tournies. Cashed 6 of 6($50-100)

Noo Yawk
10-30-2002, 08:34 PM
Once in a while, if I'm getting too many bad beats and I feel myself getting aggitated, I have my one bad beat Bud. And yes, it relaxes me and I play better. But I only have one.
As the original Homer Simpson says: Mmmm....Beer good!!!

Ryan_21
10-30-2002, 09:18 PM
I've never drank and played poker at the same time, but about a week ago I played Gin w/ my fiance and our scores are usually close w/ me winning about 6 or 7 out of 10 games, but after having 2 1/2 beers I felt the same way you did. I seemed to be "on" and was thinking good and feeling good and felt I was seeing all the angles. And I crushed her, our final score was like 210 to 19 or something. I thought about giving it a try at poker but dont know yet. I've also read that Men "the master" Ngyen (sp?) drinks coronas everytime he plays and he says it doesnt affect him at all. So my book is still open?

Ryan_21

sandsmarc
10-30-2002, 11:51 PM
Like you, I don't drink during poker, but do drink prior to being photographed.

Warren Whitmore
10-31-2002, 12:36 AM
Yes, it is possible.
Probable no.

Mark H
10-31-2002, 01:37 PM
ive had this arguement with my uncle im in the no beer camp the first problem i see is how do you know your impared. i dot see how taking a depresant can improve any reasoning skills i quit drinking completly just because of poker i used to drink 2 to 4 beers a nite after a month my wife said i was a diferent person i felt it too i think it has long term effects you dont even notice

11-01-2002, 12:26 PM
I agree. If you go out for a night and come home and decide to play a little poker with a beer or two floating in your system I don't think there is anything wrong with that and I have felt the clarity effect like you guys have, but poker should never be the reason you drink. And I believe that anything you are capable of with the beers you are capable without them. Try yoga or working out or something.

11-01-2002, 08:06 PM
i play in a very small home pl game about once amonth with friends (.25/.50 blinds). i get smashed drunk but always win. i never misplay a hand but i do forget to look for serious tells.

11-02-2002, 11:11 PM
I have found that for every 6 beers that i drink the strength of my hands double and I after about 20 the check/fold button disappears and i cant lose! (unless a stupid fish cracks my pair of 4's)

whiskeytown
11-04-2002, 06:46 PM
I who gets smashed occasionally while playing poker am not sure if it improves my game or not.

I remember TJ Cloutier talking about a guy though who drank, and for the first two hours, he was nearly unbeatable. But by the third hour of boozing, he became a wreck. You could set your watch to it...then he was easy pickings...

in a NL tourney, where a little irrationality can go a long ways, I'd say it might help /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

RB

2ndGoat
11-05-2002, 04:26 AM