PDA

View Full Version : How Bad is this Play?

Sluss
04-12-2005, 05:21 PM
Pokerroom Step 2 WSOP Sat. 40 person MTT top six get a seat to the main qualifer. A combination of bad players who qualified through the $5 step one and some very good players. So there is a war among the good players to attack the weaker players.

Still early level 1. 10 man table About 16 hands in UTG has decided it is a good idea to play every hand yet still has 2200. Has shown some complete garbage and did get half of one guys stack when his K2 flopped two pair against AA.

Button is a good player who is sometimes a little too tight that has about 1450 and who I had just played a 100+8 SNG with where I finshed third and him fifth. So he has seen me play for an hour and me him already today.

I am dealt A /images/graemlins/heart.gifQ /images/graemlins/club.gif in MP2 with 1440.

UTG limps (not a shock) I also limp /images/graemlins/confused.gif CO and Button come along as does the SB and BB.

120 pot flop comes A /images/graemlins/diamond.gifK /images/graemlins/club.gif2 /images/graemlins/club.gif
SB& BB check UTG bets 20 (which he has done about five times already with no piece of the flop) I raise to 150. Hoping to isolate UTG who has called big bets before. CO folds Button calls SB& BB get out of the way. UTG calls.

(pot 570) Turn A /images/graemlins/club.gif

UTG checks I check /images/graemlins/confused.gif Button bets 50 UTG folds I c/r 350 /images/graemlins/confused.gif Button calls

I think my thinking was that I could end this right here. Except that I didn't raise enough and I'm giving him great odds to call. Does anyone push here?

(pot 1270) River 3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

I check! /images/graemlins/frown.gif Button bets 325 I crying call

<font color="white"> and get shown a baby flush

I don't think I could have played this any worse.
</font>

MisterKing
04-12-2005, 05:53 PM
If you're going to play AQ up front, and I think you should, play for a 3BB raise. You'll fold out smaller PPs and offsuit trash that might snag two pair or a boat on you later. So I hate your PF play, and a raise probably would have gotten it HU vs UTG, which is what you want.

Postflop play is dictated by the PF raise. If you'd made it, you could probably take this pot down on the flop with no resistance, as you'd get credit for an ace, or action from UTG while he's behind. On the turn, playing it as you did, you still must bet, perhaps 1/3 the pot or so.

Looks like button overpaid on the flop with a flush draw and caught his hand at the turn. Given that the third club came down here, you have no business check/raising... this seems to be a quick way to go broke, as it leaves you committed when behind, and cuts off your action from hands that you can beat.

PukaPlaya
04-12-2005, 06:22 PM
I did nearly the same thing in a tourney last night and I may have you beat in how badly I screwed this hand up.

I was dealt A /images/graemlins/spade.gifQ /images/graemlins/club.gif UTG+2. UTG limped and I did as well, 3 other callers including button and BB.

Flop comes 5/images/graemlins/club.gif 6/images/graemlins/club.gif A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. I bet half the pot and get one caller. Turn is J /images/graemlins/club.gif. I bet the pot and am re-raised all-in. I decide he is on a single club in his hand bluff and/or has a weaker A and lose when he turns over 3/images/graemlins/club.gif 4/images/graemlins/club.gif and the river is not a club.

All of this could most likely have been avoided if I had raised 3-4 times BB preflop or bet the pot on the flop. Actually with villain having the straight flush draw he was probably hanging around no matter what I do after the flop.

I ended up coming in 15th. 10 got paid. I had been chip leader for most of the tourney as well and was really sick about how poorly I played this hand. One lapse in judgment and it's all over.

As for you, he probably sticks around on the turn even if you push. He has to assume you have an A and just hopes the board doesn't pair your kicker and the river is not a club. If he is a speculative player who plays smaller suited connectors etc... He probably doesn't throw away the made hand when it hits. If he called the overbet on the flop with a mediocre flush draw, he probably calls the push as well. Your only major mistake was not raising pre-flop in my opinion.