PDA

View Full Version : Salmon or trout?

M2d
10-30-2002, 02:33 PM
So this weekend, I have the option of driving a half an hour to a spot in the Bay where they are catching salmon off the banks or an hour and change to fish for trout.
The Salmon fishing will be combat style, elbow to elbow fishing with spinning tackle, but a catch would result in major mother in law points. The average size of the fish they're catching there is between eight and fifteen pounds, but there's no guarantee of catching anything if I go. Perhaps a 1 in five shot.

The trout fishing would be of the long rod variety (a plus), although it would be below the surface fishing. minor mother in law points would be scored if I bring home the bacon (or fish, as it may be). The average size of fish in this stream ar 12-15 inches, and an average day on this water sees at least three fish caught (and usually a limit).

Either way, this is a meat hunting expedition, as the trout are planters, and the in-laws have been laughing at me (led by the wife), because I "released my fish" the past few times I've been out. Sometimes, when you marry a chinese girl with traditional parents, you just gotta forget C&R and bring home the fish.

So, what's the bigger EV play here?

HDPM
10-30-2002, 04:47 PM
I think you have to go for trout. Forget the fishing comparison, even though I think the trout win on that. (Long rod, fewer people) The main thing is to show mother in law you can put dead meat on the table, thus by implication being able to provide for daughter. So go for the surer catch. Just be sure mother in law doesn't get a bullet hole in her piece of fish. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

M2d
10-30-2002, 05:05 PM
Long rod with dynamite on the end should scare up a whole mess of meat =).
I'll probably do the trout thing. good thing about that stream is I can focus my catch on newly planted fish (this season), and release the holdovers from seasons past. There are even spots there that i hit up if I'm shopping (going to keep fish) or fishing (C&R). I'll probably do both on saturday.

Ed Miller
10-30-2002, 07:35 PM

10-31-2002, 12:58 PM
Head N to the Sac. You can fish for real trout, salmon and steelhead in the same water.

Hit the fish market to supply inlaws. Good luck.

This has been the best fall I've ever had for fishing small dries(18-20) to good fish.

M2d
10-31-2002, 01:32 PM
Which Sac? (it's really two rivers). what town are you fishing out of?

10-31-2002, 02:15 PM
Are you looking for filets or would you inlaws be content with just the heads

10-31-2002, 04:30 PM
M2d

Sorry I left off my name(Ed I). I don't have a password

My fall fishing has been on Mt. waters.

I meant the lower Sac, Redding area. Must be about 3 hrs or so from you? I guess its become a top tailwater since dam operations were modified in 97.

Informative articles in Flyfisherman Dec. 2002 and fall issue Northwest Flyfishing.

Article states catches over 30 fish common with fish over 22 routine.

Good Luck. Sorry for the confusion.

M2d
10-31-2002, 06:11 PM
Hey Ed, thanks for the tip. I think Redding is a bit far for a one day thing, but I definately have my eye on it for future trips. I keep on meaning to book a float on it, but my schedule keeps getting in the way.
I'll probably just hit up Putah for some of the late season bow/brown action. I'm looking for my first twenty-four incher in the past couple of years, and that's the place to do it.